(YBA) Kalath in Wicht's Lair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicht

Hero
When Kalath lets them know of his interest in exploring Wicht's Lair, the Ancient Masters summon him and present him with a large Iron skull-topped Key and a map. The map, they explain shows the way to the entrance to the lair and the key will open the front gate.

"To enter Wicht's lair," the ancient Masters explain, "You must first pass through a cemetery. The cemetery is marked on the map. The cemetery itself is a dangerous place and we think there may be hidden entrances into Wicht's lair in some of the tombs. Be cautious however!

"The main entrance to the lair is found on the other side of the cemetery. The top layer of the lair we believe to be inhabited by goblins and perhaps orcs as well."

Then as they send him on his way they wish him luck.

The journey to the cemetery is peaceful enough, almost too peaceful. Kalath finds himself growing bored with inaction. And then after what seems like an eternal journey he reaches the sight. He stands on a hill overlooking a small private cemetery, scarcely two acres in size. There are no tombs within it, only small tombstones.

A path winds around the cemetery fence, a fence that is admittedly rather large and ominous for such a small peaceful place. There are two small figures seated in front of the large iron gate.

It is the night of the sword and the moon is full illuminating the small valley below Kalath.

graydoom

First Post
Kalath
Round: Null
Current Hits: 13
Total Hits: 13

Experience: 3
Saved Experience: 3
Natural Hits: 5
Yen: 1.5
Being Worn: Mithril Chain Shirt (+4 hits), Mithril Kote (+4 hits)
Being Wielded: +2 Hammer (+3 damage), Staff (+1 damage), Pick-axe (+1 damage on kama style), Dagger (+1 damage), Sword (+1 damage), Spear (+1 damage), Chopsticks (+1 damage), Claws (+1 damage), Fan (+1 damage), Spiked Gloves (+1 damage), Needle (+1 damage)
Possessions: Anti-Kobold Whistle
Tournament Record: 0-0

ABILITIES:
Intense Sarcasm and a Pessimistic Outlook
Dirty Trick (x1)[Left: 1]
Shove (x1)[Left: 1]
Chair Shot (x1) [Left: 1]
Expert of the Phoenix style
Student of the Volcano

Dagger ready, Kalath approaches the gate.

Wicht

Hero
Goblin Guards

The two small figures, Kalath sees, are goblins, each holding a spear.

"Halt!" says one of the goblins as Kalath approaches.

"Yeah," snarls the other goblin. "Who goes there?"

graydoom

First Post
"Kalath goes here. I have been sent to enter, and have to this key to unlock the gate." Kalath shows them the key.

Kalath looks at them. "Will you let me pass?" His hand holds the hilt of his dagger....

Wicht

Hero
"He does have a key," says one goblin to the other.

"Bah!" spits the other, "The last group had a key too and the boss gives us a good sound, beating! Wors'n when we ates his cat! Don't let no other groups of do-gooders through says the boss. How do we knows yous is not a group of do-gooders?"

With a penetrating eye the goblin scrutinizes Kalath.

graydoom

First Post
"I am no 'do-gooder'... and I am obviously not a 'group'. A group would require more than one person. As your lord's orders were to not let groups of do-gooders through, and I am neither group nor do-gooder, I obviously can pass. I'm glad that this can be resolved so simply." Kalath nods his heads to the goblins and walks up to the gate.

Wicht

Hero
Through the gate

The goblins are still scratching their heads when Kalath turns the key in the lock.

Kalath recieves 1/2 an experience point

The key turns easily and the gate swings silently open.

All seems well until Kalath steps across the gate's threshhold and then the world seems to change. The night becomes greyer and the cemetery seems to grow before his eyes. A cobbled path heads north through the cemetery in between two hills. the moonlight shows a smaller stone strewn path leading off of the main path up the hill to Kalath's right, up to a columned building that Kalath knows he had not seen from outside the cemetery gate. Likewise to his left there seems to be a large crypt just beyond the top of the western hill.

Somewhere near, Kalath hears a wolf howl.

graydoom

First Post
Kalath shudders. "Wolves... most likley were, with my luck."

"The tombs, it was said... then to that crypt it is."

Wary, Kalath starts toward the crypt just beyond the top of the western hill.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 14.41.38.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 14.41.38.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 9,512
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 14.50.56.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 14.50.56.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 19,889
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 14.54.46.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 14.54.46.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 4,374

Wicht

Hero
Kalath leaves the path and begins to climb the hill. The climb is steep but not difficult. Around him the tombstones glisten white in the moonlight.

Kalath reaches the top of the hill when a howl from the east grabs his attention. It sounds so close. Turning he can just make out a group of shadows moving around the columned building on the hill now almost a quarter of a mile east of him. He cannot tell if they see him or not, but he is certain they are wolves of one sort or another.

As he pauses there observing, the ground moves under his feet. He steps back a minute as he sees first hands and then arms erupting from the soil.

Two dead things are pulling themselves up from the very dirt. Their stench is great and Kalath is certain he sees something wiggling in their skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads