Yet another BIG secret book from Monte Cook

Sephiroth

Explorer
Monte has just released Malhavoc's publishing schedule for this year and there is some neat stuff planned. Another Book of Eldritch Might (part 3), a BOEM for clerics ("The Book of Hallowed Might"), a big adventure ("Banewarrens"), a sourcebook-adventure-thingie ("Requiem for a God") and sometime next year: "surprise-surprise" yet another big book he won't talk about.

"After The Book of Hallowed Might's release, I'm going to lock myself in a room for a number of months, working on a very special product. It's going to be big, and it's going to be cool. And big. And like nothing you've seen before. I can't reveal many details yet, but we're talking about a major hardcover release. I know that you're tired of hearing about secret projects from me at this point, but trust me -- this is the book that I pretty much created Malhavoc Press to write. This is the book that my work on 3rd Edition compelled me to do. It will come out in mid-2003. I'm already psyched."

Is Monte some kind of undercover RPG-writer with a license to drive gamers insane. Well if he is, then I think he is about to succeed...

Arcanus

First Post
Well I for one hate surprises and having to wait for things.

I really have to give Monte credit where credit is due. He does create RPG material that is well worth the money and the anticipation. In my opinion Monte is a Fantastic writer with a very vivid imagination who listens to what the players want.

What I really respect is the fact that no matter what he is working on he will take the time to read message boards and return e-mails to his fans. It might take a few days or more but he does reply.

Numion

First Post
Quickly, start speculation!

* It has something to do with Malhavoc Press.

* Malhavoc is his former character

* Malhavoc is said to be an "arrogant bastard".

--> a connection! I figured it out! It's a guidebook to playing arrogant wizards!

(pats himself on back)

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
"The quintessential bee" ?
"The complete wasp handbook" ?
"To bee or not to bee" ?
"Ants & Dragons d20" ?

Frostmarrow

First Post
It's gonna be big, he said. Hardcover. He started his publishing company for the very reason as to publish this. What can it be?

Surely, it's a world! Monte Cook's answer to Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk. He want's to do what only a few have done. Become a member of the prestige class that Greenwood and Gygax belongs...

I don't think you can write 320 pages worth of insects. (At least not in this context). He has already covered wizards and clerics to great extent and he has made the biggest adventure module there is. It has to be a world. What's the name of his world, again?

reutbing0

First Post
I don't think it's a world. I think Monte Cook's Definite Guide To World Building" is more plausible. If my guess is right... Where can I pre-order Monte !?!?

Galfridus

First Post
Psionicist said:

That reminds me, I have to buy If Thoughts Could Kill soon. Any reviews out?

Here's a mini-review.

The adventure is interesting, but (at least to me) of the kind that, because of its scope, can be difficult to fit into the campaign world. At the same time, it wins full marks for creativity both in NPCs and in plot developments. I'm still trying to come up with a way to make it work in my (admittedly non-standard) campaign. I would like to run it.

The rules section is small (much larger than the average module) but has some good stuff. Of particular interest are a pair of variants for psions which IMO improve the class greatly without overpowering them. For $5 you can't beat it.

Remove ads