• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yet another Double Weapon question!

Gruns

Explorer
Hey all!
"Wielding a double weapon is like wielding a weapon in each hand."
That quote is from the latest ruling on Double Weapons. Yes, it's like wielding a weapon in each hand, but does that mean it meets the requirements of powers such as Twin Strike, for example, which specifically say "You must be wielding two melee weapons..." ?
Naturally, I'm inclined to say of course, don't be silly! Otherwise double weapons are completely useless! But I'm not looking for opinions about whether they should or shouldn't. I'm looking for the cold hard RPGA rule!
(We all know how commons sense doesn't always apply in the rules... Wielding a versatile weapon with both hands didn't actually count as a Two Handed Weapon before Stout was invented, for example...)
Thanks and later!
Gruns

Well, 1st the "like wielding a weapon in each hand" terminology has been present on double weapons since the start, so its not actually a change. If you are wielding a weapon in each hand, then logically you are wielding two weapons since you have to have one in each hand to do that and 1+1=2 ;)

Seriously there is no other rule about it aside from that and if someone tried to argue it in RPGA play they would be laughed off the table. Each end of the double weapon is treated as a separate weapon, so you are able to TS, gain the benefits of TWD/TWF etc all based on that. I know you know this already but my point is that it is just so blindingly obvious that even the most egregious rules lawyers are not going to make any mileage arguing against it.

Where they CAN make some mileage is in some of the other areas where you have things like does it count as a two-handed weapon? Again the intent is pretty clear that it does but there are a few grey areas with specific feats and powers.

When it comes to counting as a two handed weapon, IMO the intent is pretty clear that a double weapon does not count as a two handed weapon. Otherwise the Stout property would be meaningless.

When it comes to counting as a two handed weapon, IMO the intent is pretty clear that a double weapon does not count as a two handed weapon. Otherwise the Stout property would be meaningless.

Well, all existing double weapons count as two-handed on the 'main' end since they all have stout on that end except the double sword.

It is a default property of double weapons that they are treated as two-handed WRT who can use them. It just depends on what aspect of 'two-handedness' you are talking about.

Remove ads