• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

you can sell it "at auction in any major city"

Al2O3

Explorer
I can't find the sources now (at my parents' place and trying to fall asleep...), but Brimstone Angels: Lesser Evils describes an auction of an important artifact. It's set in the 4e era with Harpers, Zhentarim and Netheril all trying to buy or steal it. I don't remember who handles the auction, but it includes someone other than the seller doing the marketing and other practical things. Maybe you can compare it to the work of a real estate agent:
Sending out information/marketing to bring in potential buyers, organising public displays, and handling communication of bids between possible buyers and the seller. The bids would be both before the auction (offering a good price to seal the deal without an auction) and the normal auction.

There are also suggestions for who would be interested and why. Some factions, possibly with wealthy patrons, might want items for safekeeping or to use for the aim of the faction. Villains might see it as a way to increase their power, and there are lots of nobles and other wealthy individuals who might but it simply to flaunt their wealth and get their guests talking during the next big party.

Bringing a good story to go along with the item should be important in all cases. How much they are prepared to pay for security to reduce risk of theft or exposure to pushy/threatening would-be buyers seems like a major factor making it a possible adventure in itself.

Satyrn

First Post
Thank you all.

However, I hope you can agree most (all?) replies so far has been generic rather than specific.

What I cannot do myself and therefore am asking you about, is specific.

Are there any named personages or organizations described as being in the magic items trade? (My guess would be that previous editions would be better sources for something like this than the current).

Dungeon of the Mad Mage has a Chultan priest of Waukeen named Obaya Uday, working for a wizard named Wakanga O'tamu, buying magic items from the players. She had 75K in gold to spend.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
From the 3.5E book, City of Splendors, a Web Enhancement article/download titled "Noble Houses of Waterdeep."

Link: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20050928a

It lists family interests and the names of prominent members. For example, the first listing is for the Adarbrent noble house. Patriarch Royus. Heir Alroy. They deal in Shipping, Cartography, and Exploration. Total family members: 22.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Thank you for your suggestion.

However it is this step I am asking for ENWorld's help with.

That is, instead of me determining the buyers' identities, what are some official identities?

Of Realmslore buyers, trading houses, middlemen?

I’d say the dragon heist suggestion fits what you’re asking for.

Also Masked Lords, the Blackstaff, Force Grey, the 5e adventure Factions, Halaster’s minions, Durnan at the Yawning Portal, etc are all canon realmslore figures who could sponsor an auction.

But auctions are the sort of thing where the players would need to find a wealthy patron, or simply go to an auction house, and set up an auction, probably with other sellers, and go from there. I don’t know if any auction houses are known in realmslore canon, but I’d imagine the saves at candlekeep would know.

TheSword

Legend
I would suggest any auction would need a few things...

- Enough security to protect the objects, the patrons, and any cash they bring to pay for them.
- The ability to verify as an independent arbitrator that the objects are what they’re claimed to be.
- A method of obscuring the auction from traditional law enforcement that a. wouldn’t be happy that evil artifacts are being sold, or b. might want their cut of the sale as tax.

I’d highly recomend watching the auction scene in Last Exile if you get chance. Not only is it a great series it portrays just such a shady auction very well. It takes place at the same time as a famous race that gives the various power players an excuse to be there at the same time. You could pick some event or festival in Waterdeep that achieves a similar effect.

In terms of agents I would suggest good neutral parties in Waterdeep could be...

Aurora: The proprietor of a realms wide trading organization that has six branches in a Waterdeep alone. She is a powerful wizard and would have the magical strength and more importantly repution to ensure a fair auction. She may be a bit leery about arranging an auction for clearly evil items though. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Aurora's_Emporium

The Skulls of Skullport are intelligent enough and relatively neutral in an independent area out of the main view of the Lords. They would definitely be comfortable handling evil items and are very powerful. One twist may be that the skulls have historically wanted to lure powerful spell casters to skull port in order to create more skulls. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Skulls_of_Skullport

Third option is a noble house. My suggestion would be House Wands. The patriarch Maskar Wands may or may not be alive but he is Lawful Neutral which would be a good alignment for someone holding an auction of this kind I would think. An interesting take is that Mystra often supports the profilation and understanding of magic even if it’s evil. A combination of Mystra’s clerics and The Wands Family could make an interesting auction - perhaps at the Wands Estate, or even in an extra dimensional place.

One possible way of holding the auction could be to have a performance or spectacle - and when the patrons that are invited to the auction arrive they are bonded with Rary’s Telepathic Bond (or a version of it that allows more than 8 people to bond, depending on the size). They can thereby communicate unseen by the regular masses. Think of the opera scene in Quantum of Solace.

Anyway. Just a few thoughts there.

Remove ads