Level Up (A5E) You don't hate exploration, you hate survival

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
As per title. Let me explain in the post.

(Can we have a blog entry tag?)
I like survival and logistics, and generally want more of it and more serious consequences for ignoring it.

That said. I'm sure you're right about plenty of other people.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Didn’t really do much to try to persuade the reader of your thesis there. You just kind of defined exploration and survival, said you really like survival but also you don’t, and then said “I hope I’ve convinced you that what you dislike is survival, not exploration.” How exactly do you think you’ve convinced anyone of anything?

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
I don't hate exploration, or survival.

But I really, really don't like being told what I think, by someone who has never so much as had a conversation with me.
We've had a conversation in private messages. I'm sorry that you don't enjoy my writing. It seems really really weird that you keep reading stuff you know you'll hate, but, you do you.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I hate exploration when there's a decent chance that exploration will reveal "well, this is basically an empty hex. That's 10 out of the last 12. Crazy! Hey, where are you all going?"

I think there's a Stockholm Syndrome thing going on, where we have to pretend that's fun, because that's how Isle of Dread played out in practice most of the time and because one does not speak ill of Isle of Dread. (It's OK. It was an old adventure and we've learned a lot since then.)

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
I hate exploration when there's a decent chance that exploration will reveal "well, this is basically an empty hex. That's 10 out of the last 12. Crazy! Hey, where are you all going?"

I think there's a Stockholm Syndrome thing going on, where we have to pretend that's fun, because that's how Isle of Dread played out in practice most of the time and because one does not speak ill of Isle of Dread. (It's OK. It was an old adventure and we've learned a lot since then.)
I think you're totally right, that's hex crawling and an old fashioned style. I think the advantage of A5e is that we have the journey rules. I would never want to see an empty hex, I'd put a bit of scenery in at least, which is amazing for world-building.

lolsworth

Explorer
The region based exploration from Arora by Ghostfire might be of interest, if hexcrawling has lost its lustre for you.

There's certain players and groups who love planning and preparing, but most prefer to have the encounters delivered to them. Being able to long rest "for free" every day in base 5e also makes it largely a waste of time to play out the encounters on the way to the dungeon. So we have a culture now of ignoring survival elements.

Remove ads