D&D General Your best pets

Zardnaar

Legend
2E elephant naned Clive.

Animal friendship spell plus animal handling nwp.

Ended up heavily spellbuffed, enchanted varying etc. More or less a henchelephant.

Had to shoot down the idea of an elepult. Basically load Clive into a giant Trebuchet, fire Clive over a city wall and cast feather fall.

Fighter/Mage and fighter/priest with minor access to animal sphere.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
Meepo joined many a party in the 3E era. I would never call a humanoid a pet, but folks have talked about goblins, etc... above.

The favorite pet would likely be a Homebrew spider based monstrosity which was essentially a reskin of a Meazel. It could grab a foe, teleport it away, and then teleport back without the foe. Instead of going from shadow to shadow, this thing shot out portals that lasted for 10 minutes. The portal connected to the last portal made and had to be within 500 feet. Accordingly, you could jump into the last portal and appear 500 feet away, leap into the portal you just came through ane end up 1000 feet away from where you started, etc... It had fairly low hps, but we always buffed it up to keep it from being killed. It last for about 20 sessions before it teleported across a wide ravine, was ambushed and was killed before it could open a new portal.

Starfox

Hero
In my Savage Tide campaign, one of the players was playing a sprite - a tiny humanoid fey. In that game we invented the Familiar's Club of the city of Sasserine. This was an informal gathering of familiars and other similar tiny pets. A social club, politics, alignment, and conflict was banned, but of course intrigue and rumors were rampant. Imps could socialize with pseudo dragons was the idea. Most members were animals who were intelligent, but could not talk. So games that did not need speech, like chess, were popular.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
In my Savage Tide campaign, one of the players was playing a sprite - a tiny humanoid fey. In that game we invented the Familiar's Club of the city of Sasserine. This was an informal gathering of familiars and other similar tiny pets. A social club, politics, alignment, and conflict was banned, but of course intrigue and rumors were rampant. Imps could socialize with pseudo dragons was the idea. Most members were animals who were intelligent, but could not talk. So games that did not need speech, like chess, were popular.

League of the Super Pets!

Longspeak

Adventurer
In a downtime session, a player wanted a pet, and the others wanted on that cart.

I asked my daughter for something they could find that comes in litters, and isn't a cat or a dog.

"Dire Squirrels."

So that's how that crew came to have freshly weaned, only slightly carnivorous, Dire Squirrels as pets.

Richards

Legend
In my previous campaign, my son wanted his gnome fighter to eventually be able to ride into combat on a dire rabbit, figuring that as a burrowing creature, his gnome would be able to talk to it. I took it one step further and presented him with a jackalope, with a full set of antlers and everything. But what I didn't tell him was that this was a jackalope from Gamma World, where they're also known as "hoppers." And since Gamma World hoppers have chameleon skin allowing them to blend into the background - a trait I didn't want his gnome's jackalope to have, lest it give away the whole Gamma World angle (a surprise I was waiting to spring much later in the campaign), I made his jackalope without the chameleon skin mutation. Hence, his litter-mates had dubbed him "Obvious."

Towards the end of the campaign, the PCs made their way through a planar rift to the Gamma World campaign, and during their month-long stay there they managed to track down Obvious's litter-mates, so each of the PCs got their own jackalope riding mount. And thus did we add Clover, Digger, Droopy-Ear, Quickpaws, and Twitchy-Tail to our adventuring party.

Johnathan

Remove ads