D&D 5E Your favorite Creative Spellbooks

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
For a 3e Bard Spellsinger (who was more background history than stats), his initial "spellbook" was a collection of folklore songs from the land of his youth. He was working on a Bardic Masterpiece, original composition, that would include all the spells he knew to add flavor and 'special effects' to the story - which happened to be his adventures, Hollywood-ized for dramatic flair.
For instance, the scene aboard a ship in a fierce storm would feature Gust of Wind and Lightning Bolt.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Not specifically. The mind palace is a pretty common trope, though I wouldn’t be surprised if Sherlock Holmes was one of the first characters to demonstrate it.

No, Sherlocks Mind Palace is entirely added for the TV show. Which is unfortunate because in ‘A Study in Scarlet’, Doyle actually makes mention of a brain attic.

"Now the skillful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. Depend upon it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No, Sherlocks Mind Palace is entirely added for the TV show. Which is unfortunate because the in ‘A Study in Scarlet’, Doyle actually makes mention of a brain attic.

"Now the skillful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. Depend upon it there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones
The show mentions that concept as well.

Vael

Legend
I like the Aureon Spellshards in Eberron as an alternative spellbook.

I played a Wizard in a world that did distrust and prohibit the learning of magic, so my character encoded his spellbook as a journal. Spells were written out as bad attempts at poetry, recipes, even as dream diary entries.

Remove ads