• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite older edition products

RFisher

Explorer
2) B2: Keep of the Borderlands. My copy came with my Moldvay Basic Set. Although, I practically consider it core rules.

3) Deities & Demigods, if that doesn't count as core. (I don't count it as core myself.) Otherwise, I guess its a tie between the World of Greyhawk & Lankhmar: City of Adventure. For WoG, I guess the box set since it has more content, but--nostalgically--the folio will always be the real WoG for me.

4) I played 2e, but only for a few years. I don't remember any of its supplements really standing out in my mind.

AIM-54

First Post
I only started playing in '94 or so, so I only got inon 2E, but my favorite books there were the Complete Druid's Handbook, which was awesome because it made Druids into so much more than just the typical forest-dwelling nature-lovers that they are so often regarded as. It was my favorite 2E class, so I got a lot of entertainment out of it. I'm not as enamored of the 3E druid.

And Combat and Tactics, just because it had a lot of cool stuff you could do to customize your combats...and seige warfare, IIRC. But the critical hit tables were brutal. Oh, so brutal. But fun from time to time. :D

Chrysalis

First Post
Favorite D&D products

Originally Posted by Mouseferatu:
1) Your favorite OD&D supplement (such as they were)
2) Your favorite Basic D&D supplement (and ID which Basic set it was for, if you know)
3) Your favorite 1E AD&D supplement
4) Your favorite 2E AD&D supplement

1) D&D Supplement II, Blackmoor

2) B1-B9 In Search of Adventure

3) Gods, Demigods, and Heroes

4) Planescape Campaign Setting (Boxed Set)

Voadam

Legend
Mouseferatu said:
Okay, I know we've recently had a "Best D&D product ever" thread. This isn't quite the same thing.

If you'd be so kind, please list:

2) Your favorite Basic D&D supplement (and ID which Basic set it was for, if you know)

Core rulebooks are not elligible. If you didn't play a given edition, feel free to ignore that entry.

Note that this doesn't have to be "the best" supplement. Don't worry about whether it accomplished a specific goal, or was well put together. I want to know your favorite--the one you got the most game use out of, or enjoyed reading/playing the most, or what have you. I'd also love to know why it was your favorite, if you're so inclined.

Thanks.

1 I only have the blue book.

2 Night Howlers came out late during 2e times. I enjoyed the lycanthrope classes and world info. Just beats out some of the gazetteers.

3 MMII cool demon and devil and other planar cosmology expansion plus a lot of creatures I used.

4 the FR god books were a lot of fun to read as was the 1st edition of the ravenloft campaign setting which was a really great place to adventure and DM.

Last edited:

Akrasia

Procrastinator
1. Never played it (though I picked up the "Collector's Edition" of the rules in the early 1980s). However, I found the articles in the first "Best of Dragon" volume interesting.

2. I guess Rules Cyclopedia doesn't count (being a new presentation of the earlier core rules). ;) In that case, I will vote for X4 and X5 (they were two parts of an epic module). Those two modules taught me how to design an "epic quest" campaign adventure.

3. The World of Greyhawk (boxed version). Beautiful maps and lots of interesting stuff in the books. I never really used GH as my campaign setting, but it was a great model for my own ideas.

4. Missed it entirely. Does Baldur's Gate count? ;)

derelictjay

Explorer
Alright 1 & 2 can't be answered as they were before my time.

3. Caught this barely in middle school, as 2nd edition was coming out. Probably the Fiend Folio (as it was one of the few non-core books I looked at, and own)

4. Probably Planescape boxed set, as I was in a campaign using it for about two whole years, still the longest and one of the most fun campaigns I ever ran.

Bregh

Explorer
1. Supplement I: Greyhawk

2. B2, Keep on the Borderlands (for Moldvay-edit Basic Set)

3. Deities & Demigods, with G 1-3 green cover compilation very close second.

4. Original Ravenloft ("black box") campaign setting.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Mouseferatu said:

1E: Hmmm...since core books are not allowed, I'd have to say G1-2-3, Against the Giants. I played through it in 1E and then converted it and ran it in 2E. Enjoyed it immensely both times.

2E: That one's easy. Planescape box set. No 2E product inspired me to want to play or DM as much as this set. Actually, all of the Planescape box sets rate very highly with me.

grodog

Hero
Mouseferatu said:
If you'd be so kind, please list:

1 - a tie between Greyhawk, for thieves, different hit dice for PCs, variable weapon damage, and the tricks/traps, and Eldritch Wizardry for demons and artifacts

2 - Dungeon Geomorphs from the Holmes Basic set :D These were just too much fun to play with!

3 - World of Greyhawk box set---hands down the best campaign world published for D&D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads