Your Favorite OSR System?

The OSE kickstarter for the two new Advanced books is live.

I have the two advanced fantasy player books. They're really good. They add a ton of fun new classes. Can't wait to see the monster and treasure books.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Yeah I love those and those are what sold me on the system. My table wouldn't be in to the race as class if that was the only option. But with the option to have it either way its running great. Plus the books are really well made, the stitched binding on the main book looks like its rock solid.

Yeah I love those and those are what sold me on the system. My table wouldn't be in to the race as class if that was the only option. But with the option to have it either way its running great. Plus the books are really well made, the stitched binding on the main book looks like its rock solid.
I got the boxed set. I love it. Probably the sturdiest box ever made for an RPG. It's nice having everything broken into the individual small books. I think I will probably pick up the big book off the kickstarter if it's an add on. I would like to have a second copy of everything.

reelo

Hero
Definetly "Old-School Essentials" (plus Advanced Fantasy)
"Beyond the Wall" very innovative character creation rules!
"Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea" is also a wonderful game, though it's about 1E level of complexity

I'm a fan of Labyrinth Lord and DCC RPG. The magic system of DCC RPG takes some getting used to, but the game has a fun, gonzo attitude and many wonderful modules.

Mallus

Legend
My group is playing Labyrinth Lord right now, and it's going well.

I think if I had to choose the OSR system I'd go with Swords and Wizardry -- for the wonkier classes like monk & assassin which I feel are, ahem... critical to the D&D experience -- or the advanced version of LL. Or maybe just haul out my old AD&D books again.

I'm in the process of doodling up a new campaign setting & adventure. Can't decide between one of those OSR systems or 5e with some tweaks to make it a little more old school. Anyone have an advice on doing that -- all I have so far, are house rules changing HP recovery.

RogueRonin

Explorer
My favorite retro-clone is probably Old School Essentials. 100% B/X clone, but with the option to add some elements from AD&D that fit on the chassis really well.

BUT my favorite OSR game of them all is Dungeon Crawl Classics. It's so much fun, and the magic system and class abilities are really interesting. There are some amazing modules available for it, but it's just as good for homebrew/conversions if that's your thing. I guess maybe it's OSR adjacent since it uses a lot of concepts from 3e, but the tone and feel of the game are very old-school, and I think it nails the spirit better than a lot of actual OSR games like LotFP.

Remove ads