D&D General your favourite fantasy sapient?

My version of aasimars is "honorable but dishonored", their actions are honest, but their reputation or prestige is very bad by fault of rumors by toxic people, suffering the tall poppies syndrome. Their heart is noble, but they suffer by the mediocre people who don't accept other can be better than them (like Lex Luthor hating Superman).

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
your favourite fantasy sapient type what is it and why?
we have all heard of those who pick elf above all others, the dedicated teifling player or those who seem to just love dwarves
tell me what you love about their base lore and what you make to enhance it?
this is for both fantasy races as well as those monsters who have culture and goals
I would share my own but I lack one hence I ask of others that I can't answer on my own
Why don't you have a favorite of your own?

Assuming you mean D&D fantasy sapients; but perhaps you also include all of fantasy fiction throughout all of time.

But I'll restrict my answer to D&D sapients (love that word, although it feels very 1950's sci fi)

My favorites are NOT favorites to play in RPGs; but more just as "I really like these guys". In fact I rarely if ever play Halflings.

Halflings because one of my first intros to fantasy fiction was the Hobbit.

Yaarel

He Mage
aasimar are cool but seem too perfect so they lack a darkness to embrace, be shadowed by or reject.
Maybe from a Celestial point of view, the aasimar are corrupting the angelic realms with their materiality and ignorance, and giving too much power to unreliable Humanoids?

Scruffy nerf herder

Toaster Loving AdMech Boi
Maybe from a Celestial point of view, the aasimar are corrupting the angelic realms with their materiality and ignorance, and giving too much power to unreliable Humanoids?

Lol those are some self righteous sounding Celestials. "Yargh those dang Aasimar, if only they were as inherently beatific and wise as us, why can't they make more right decisions like we nearly omnipotent, omniscient super beings do? It's not so hard."

Yaarel

He Mage
Celestials have many valuable and ethical qualities. But doubt - entertaining the possibility that one oneself might be wrong - doesnt seem to be one of them.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Why don't you have a favorite of your own?

Assuming you mean D&D fantasy sapients; but perhaps you also include all of fantasy fiction throughout all of time.

But I'll restrict my answer to D&D sapients (love that word, although it feels very 1950's sci fi)

My favorites are NOT favorites to play in RPGs; but more just as "I really like these guys". In fact I rarely if ever play Halflings.

Halflings because one of my first intros to fantasy fiction was the Hobbit.
I lack one for unknown reasons nothing ever quite fits me, I enjoy anything but lack a favourite or something I truly love hence my endless questions on the subject.

what do you play most other than humans? as we probably can't articulate our reasons for that.

If we're limiting it to DnD fantasy sapients, then genasi are my favorites. Elemental themes are awesome and so planetouched embodying that are perfect playable species for me. I quite like how pathfinder has done them though, where they're a template which can be applied to any species.

If we're going beyond DnD, then there are these little sapients called Gravediggers which are my favourites.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
If we're limiting it to DnD fantasy sapients, then genasi are my favorites. Elemental themes are awesome and so planetouched embodying that are perfect playable species for me. I quite like how pathfinder has done them though, where they're a template which can be applied to any species.

If we're going beyond DnD, then there are these little sapients called Gravediggers which are my favourites.
elaborate on the genasi?

also, do you mean these fellows?

1646315150090.png

they are interesting in that they provide a possible insight into a sapient that is not naturally social which would be useful for diversifying playable races that are more alien also make dragons make more sense as dragons having anything like a normal social system seems alien to them.

elaborate on the genasi?

also, do you mean these fellows?

View attachment 152742

they are interesting in that they provide a possible insight into a sapient that is not naturally social which would be useful for diversifying playable races that are more alien also make dragons make more sense as dragons having anything like a normal social system seems alien to them.
Genasi just seem like perfect characters who automatically have a story hook of learning about and tapping into their elemental heritage. Been glued on elemental themes ever since Bionicle was a thing (all the way back in 2000).

And yep those guys! Though their culture and civilisation has moved on and changed a huge amount since then.

1646316594827.png

Remove ads