D&D General your favourite fantasy sapient?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
your favourite fantasy sapient type what is it and why?
we have all heard of those who pick elf above all others, the dedicated teifling player or those who seem to just love dwarves
tell me what you love about their base lore and what you make to enhance it?
this is for both fantasy races as well as those monsters who have culture and goals
I would share my own but I lack one hence I ask of others that I can't answer on my own

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I've always been a sucker for Haflings. Not the first edition hobbits with the serial # filed off, or the 5E pixar fatlings, but the more adventurous types of 3E/PF1/4E. I read once about Halflings being sailors because it left more room for cargo and less need for food. That just made sense for me and I could picture a society like that. I also loved the barbarian cannibals of Red Sun because, I mean its Red Sun. I think they rode dinosaurs in Eberron but I dont like dinosaurs so not sure. Either way its another cool take on them for a societal point. Unlike elves/dorfs you didnt get like seven different kinds either.

Mind of tempest

I've always been a sucker for Haflings. Not the first edition hobbits with the serial # filed off, or the 5E pixar fatlings, but the more adventurous types of 3E/PF1/4E. I read once about Halflings being sailors because it left more room for cargo and less need for food. That just made sense for me and I could picture a society like that. I also loved the barbarian cannibals of Red Sun because, I mean its Red Sun. I think they rode dinosaurs in Eberron but I dont like dinosaurs so not sure. Either way its another cool take on them for a societal point. Unlike elves/dorfs you didnt get like seven different kinds either.
a) you mean darksun, not red sun.
b) your love of halflings is surprising as I have never really gotten the appeal can you define in more detail what you mean as I will take honest enthusiasm where I can find it these days?
c) how do you not like dinosaurs were you never a small boy or girl as I literally know no one who does not like a dinosaur?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
a) you mean darksun, not red sun.
Wow, yes I am all over the place today. Thank you for correcting me.
b) your love of halflings is surprising as I have never really gotten the appeal can you define in more detail what you mean as I will take honest enthusiasm where I can find it these days?
Probably because Halflings have less baggage, I've have been able to sculpt the characters to fit my needs. There is a little freedom in a less defined less variant drive race/species. Also, I just love the visualization of a raging halfling. :cool:
c) how do you not like dinosaurs were you never a small boy or girl as I literally know no one who does not like a dinosaur?
I just dont like Dinos in my fantasy RPGs. Probably because I like a more urban intrigue style of game with a gritty fantasy Vietnam style. Dinos get a little too gonzo for me.

Mind of tempest

Wow, yes I am all over the place today. Thank you for correcting me.

Probably because Halflings have less baggage, I've have been able to sculpt the characters to fit my needs. There is a little freedom in a less defined less variant drive race/species. Also, I just love the visualization of a raging halfling. :cool:

I just dont like Dinos in my fantasy RPGs. Probably because I like a more urban intrigue style of game with a gritty fantasy Vietnam style. Dinos get a little too gonzo for me.
have to disagree with the dinos urban dinos would be cool and make a place stand out in a spectacular fashion.
Dwarf, cuz imma tall one.

Though, 4E/5E Dragonborn stole my heart. Always loved dragons, always wanted to play a "dragon man" since at least 1E days.
care to elaborate on your love for both?
may I simply as to why?

Mind of tempest

Halflings or other "wee people."

I love the Hobbit sensibilities, their houses in the hills, their hairy feet and appreciation for many many meals (I share the last two qualities).

I also really like the whole underdog aspect of playing a little being in a world of warriors and giants.
explain the other small people as what you describe only half applies to them?

Dwarves. I'm short, bearded, stubborn, and love whiskey. None of them ever have Scottish accents, either.

Gnomes and Tieflings are up there, too. Gnomes because they hit a lot of the same checkboxes as dwarves, but don't have the aforementioned "Scottish Viking" tropes burdening them. Tieflings are just plain cool-looking; I blame growing up watching Tim Curry in Legend.

Remove ads