D&D General Your next race/species

Warpiglet-7

Lord of the depths
Ever get the urge to try a new race or species?

I keep talking about a duergar and later thought about genasi…

What are some new or uncommon (to you) races you are considering?

Earth Genasi or Tabaxi.

If I was to role-play an Earth Genasi, I think I would try to find a homebrewed version that represented an aspect of Earth (crystal, metal, sand, etc.). I chalk this up to PF1's Alternate Elemental Heritages for its' Geniekin. For 5e, I have pictured these alternate elemental heritages being the result of where your character's genie ancestor hailed from in their respective elemental plane.

If your character's Dao ancestor hailed from the Elemental Plane of Earth's The Furnaces, your character would be a Metal Genasi. If they came from the City of Jewels, then your character could be a Crystal Genasi. And so forth.

As for the Tabaxi, I chalk it up to watching YouTube clips of Snow Leopards performing Parkour. ;) 😋

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Ever get the urge to try a new race or species?

I keep talking about a duergar and later thought about genasi…

I usually play humans, dwarves, or some variety of construct (when available). Currently I'm playing a halfling and a constructed (Level Up heritage) in the two games in which I'm currently a player. I'm also about to start a post-apocalyptic game i designed using the Voidrunner rules from Level Up, among other sources.

I don't have a new game on the horizon as a player right now, but when I do I'd like to play something burly, like a bearfolk or a half-giant. But I always take into account the GM's setting when I choose.

i don't see any future campaigns i'll be playing in. that said, assuming we're not talking about o5e, probably human (i find o5e humans awfully boring from a mechanical perspective). i'm technically playing one in my pf2e campaign, but that's only because of how half-elves work in that system. maybe an owlin, if that's available.

Richards

Legend
As I had traditionally been the full-time DM for years, it's only been a couple of years since I've gotten to play PCs. In the 3.5 campaigns I've played in thus far, I ran a human fighter, then a lizardfolk barbarian/fighter, and am now running an aristocratic human sorcerer. But my next two PCs will be a fiendish human cleric of Boccob (everyone in that campaign will have a template based on what outer plane our yearly-shifting city was on when we were born), and then a dwarven monk not the least bit interested in spiritual balance or any of that stuff, he just wants to be able to turn his body into a living weapon and kill stuff for his clan.

Johnathan

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
thinking of playing a warforged when 5e24 comes out.

I don't like that warforged is unified no matter how it's made or what is base species is, so I will make warforged a template that uses your 1st level feat for it's "racial" features that are added to base feature of any humanoid that is made into warforged.

Remove ads