D&D General Your quick post-it-note DM reminder

pming

Legend
Hiya!

"Did I leave the stove on?"

Because it would remind me that real life exists and that all the people at the table are here to relax, laugh, eat junk food and have a good time.

I get a bit "focused" on the game world a bit too much sometimes as I try and juggle a dozen different things going on in it that I sometimes take too much time doing that and not enough asking the Players at the table "So, what are you doing?". I mean, I do, all the time, but I can look at my notes and then start jotting down notes about NPC's, events, future consequences...usually in point form for speed...but it does affect my Players as they are right into the situation and I suddenly start writing stuff in my notes for 40 seconds and they just kinda sit there or get distracted.

Ergo, "Did I leave the stove on?" is a mnemonic reminder to "Pay attention to the PLAYERS at the table!".

^_^

Paul L. Ming

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Single use trinkets are fun in the moment and will probably be forgotten forever on character sheets, but you cant give them out if players are using ddb because it doesn't support single use or charged items.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Mine would be "Remember to change the focus of the spotlight." Some people just naturally grab the spotlight or have interesting RP, so make sure everybody gets a chance to shine.

This is a great one, I was thinking that you might make it more personal, as some players at your table (you know who :) ) will naturally grab the spotlight, so maybe something targeting your more discrete players: "Remember to make sure to give X and Y the spotlight".

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Single use trinkets are fun in the moment and will probably be forgotten forever on character sheets, but you cant give them out if players are using ddb because it doesn't support single use or charged items.
You use a note to remind yourself of this?

Just curious.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You use a note to remind yourself of this?

Just curious.
Probably not but notes I make as a gm tend to be related to things I expect to come up in the session I'm running & those might get too niche for a screen. There was a lot of useful esoteric stuff you could pop on a gm screen in past editions, but 5e pretty much simplified and streamlined that kinda stuff away & I eventually gave up trying to make a 5e gm screen

Faolyn

(she/her)
What would your most important post-it-note one-sentence advice or reminder to a DM to keep in mind during play? If you had one reminder or see of advice, a short sentence, to put on a post-it-note.

"Don't forget to give out inspiration" might be mine.
We give inspiration at the end of the game: one given out by the players, and one given by the DM. We also have a cap of three inspiration rather than just one.

Remove ads