Your RPG $$$s

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
Let's say that you are, unlike me, someone with real, bona fide disposable income that you can afford to spend on TTRPG related stuff. Good for you! What do you want to spend it on?

If your honest go-to gut check response is "fancier dice and dice rolling thingies", pretend for the moment that's off the table...to give you an idea of other things you could spend your RPG $$$s on, you could instead buy one of the literally thousands of non-D&D RPGs that do interesting things D&D can't, buy a whole bunch of small indie games, support an RPG crowdfunding campaign or support a creator of (what kind of?) RPG content, i.e. through Patreon, or spend money on (please specify a) kind of original D&D content not directly produced by WotC.

Long story short, how do you spend your RPG $$$? Obviously I'm not expecting anyone to present me with a pie-graph, so just, y'know, approximately.

("I have disposable $$$, and when I spend it on RPGs, I want to turn those $$$ into abc and/or xyz." is probably not the worst you could do for a response template. For instance, one might say "I want to turn those RPG $$$s into D&D 5E adventures and/or Lasers & Feelings style indie microgames.")

Last edited:

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
I think more accurately I forgot to put a question mark but let me try a quick edit.

Edit: there, that's better. don't worry about being a jerk, at least not in this case, you improved my thread!

I am fortunate enough to have spare income, but honestly, gaming doesn't need it. I do have a number of games, many of them Indie, but they've been collected over the years, not really splurging in one year.

Because having excess money doesn't mean you have that much excess time, so it's just a switch in the limited resources. There's about six systems I play regularly and another ten that I might consider. So adding new things is less attractive than deepening my commitment to the systems I do play. So I buy nice versions of books, I support Patreons for game developers and actually, I probably spend more on props for games than dice and actual roleplaying-specific items. I'll also spend more on games I think are intrinsically worth supporting (e.g. Bluebeard's Bride) than would be justified by how likely I am to play it.

I did spend a ton on a gaming table. But that's also used for boardgames, family dinners and general use.

I'm about to run a Fate game (in, like 10 minutes so writing this in a hurry). I use 4x sets of Face dice, markers, a stack of 3x5 cards. Thats it. I have about 4 Fate books, 3 other gaming books, and maybe 4-5 PDFs I use for the game. I also have $30 in Victorian pennies I use as Fate chips and a custom-printed map of London ($60). That's pretty typical of the games I run.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
to give you an idea of other things you could spend your RPG $$$s on, you could instead buy one of the literally thousands of non-D&D RPGs that do interesting things D&D can't, buy a whole bunch of small indie games, support an RPG crowdfunding campaign or support a creator of (what kind of?) RPG content, i.e. through Patreon, or spend money on (please specify a) kind of original D&D content not directly produced by WotC.

Here's the thing - I have supported a number of kickstarters for games. Fate of Cthulhu just came in a day or two ago...

But... I don't have time to play them! I have more systems than I can shake a stick at. I can't possibly run them all. If I spend my money on RPG things I never use... I might as well just donate to a charity, right?

So, I want to turn my RPG $s into... TIME!

And, by the way, some of the woodworking, leather, and other crafting skill being applied to gaming accessories - cases, trays, chests, and so on - is quite excellent. I think you are failing to recognize creators if you leave out those who create physical objects we actually use.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have bought an army of minis, a room full of system books, and buckets of dice.

Don’t really see that pattern changing. I mean, I don’t spend as much money on gaming as I did, but those are what I buy.

If I had STOOPID money, I’d throw some of it at some kind of ridiculous LCD gaming table that could display maps, character Ickes, and whatnot. Kind of like a ReacTable for gaming.

Oh yeah, and a ReacTable.*

* though honestly, I have the ReacTable app, so I could do a bunch with just some Bluetooth speakers.**

** but I want a real ReacTable.

Last edited:

arcadia7366

Explorer
Ok, i’m probably in need of therapy
But ive bought everything on the market from woc; pathfinder; lots of Coc.
Huge bunch of OSR, i’ve Back around 150 Kickstarter in thé last 18 months
I did import à lot of European RPG
I now have a space problem in m’y basement

aramis erak

Legend
Long story short, how do you spend your RPG $$$? Obviously I'm not expecting anyone to present me with a pie-graph, so just, y'know, approximately.
Typically, I set aside $50/month for RPG books (as in, dead tree).
I tend to (these days) stick to systems I'll run.
I also set aside $30/mo for pdf stuff, but don't always spend that.

I'm a few books behind on FFG Star Wars, but current on FFG L5R 5E. I bought my TOR stuff electronically. If I have extra money end of month, I buy additional books and/or PDFs.

Remove ads