Voidrunner Zones in starship combat

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
A mockup of how zones work when you're piloting starfighters. Minis and battlemap are not expected, but you can use a handy diagram to indicated which zone your starfighter is in.

zones.jpg

Last edited:

Anselm

Adventurer
Curious where the inspiration for the zone combat came from. Was that something in a previous d&d edition? I know Sky Flourish had a page about it in the lazy dms companion as well.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Curious where the inspiration for the zone combat came from. Was that something in a previous d&d edition? I know Sky Flourish had a page about it in the lazy dms companion as well.
Zones have been around for ages. I don’t know who first came up with them but they’re in a lot of TTRPGs. I used them in WOIN years ago, but they predate that by at least a decade, I’m sure. Fate and 13th Age also spring to mind.

I recall in 2005 a poster here at EN World worked with me to whip up a grid-free RPG combat system (named Dungeons or Dragons) which had Fields for mass combat, Theaters within them for distant ranged combat or high-speed units like dragons or cavalry, Arenas for medium ranged combat and average mobility units like infantry, Stages for little spotlight areas where melee combatants would fight, and finally Loci for ultra-specific spots that only one character could occupy.

IIRC we had a sort of PF2-esque action economy where you had two fungible actions, and it cost one action to move between Stages in the same Arena (or to leave melee reach but stay in the same Arena), or two actions to move between Arenas in the same field (or to get to long range but stay in the same Theater), and usually if you wanted to change Theater you had to use a 'running away' skill challenge.

I thought I was rather clever at the time for coming up with those. But yeah, they'd been around in non-D&D-derived games for a while.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
This was a mistake, and I apologize. I tried to save a post in my drafts and unintentionally posted it.

Last edited:

Remove ads