• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zork series

Ghostwind

First Post
Speaking of older software for slower computers, how many of you remember playing the old Infocom games like the Zork series? These were text-based games for you folks who were born after 1980 and don't remember them... ;)

Lizard

Explorer
Ghostwind said:
Speaking of older software for slower computers, how many of you remember playing the old Infocom games like the Zork series? These were text-based games for you folks who were born after 1980 and don't remember them... ;)

I spent most of summer solving Zork I while serving as computer room monitor at my college's computer lab. I only needed help once, so I got it by going to a bookstore and reading the cheat guide -- no online help forums in those days!

Ranes

Adventurer
Infocom made my favourite adventure games. I played and completed most, including all the Zorks. Infocom's most intriguing to me - and one I confess I never finished - was A Mind Forever Voyaging. I'd love to talk to someone who got through that.

I have a Z-Code emulator; the original Zorks I, II & III (and Zork The Undiscovered Undergound) are freeware now and reside on my PC. I'd pass on the name of the emulator but I'm not at my own PC at the moment. I am still impressed by the sophistication of their parsing routines, literally years ahead of the competition. Oh, the nostalgia...

By the way, there are Z-Code emulators for pocket PCs, which themselves make ideal Infocom games machines.

KnowTheToe

First Post
Zork games rocked, but I think one called Adventure was the best. Warning, it was my first and I was on an apple 2e and was about 9-10 years old

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads