Why the beer hate? (Forked Thread: What are the no-goes...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Invisible Stalker

First Post
I'll answer for myself (being on the same side of the question as Bumbles) -
Our group has been together (core 3 anyway) for 17 years. The current group (aside from the new guy that joined about a year ago) has been together for at least 10.

The wife and I host, so rules on smoking and drinking are set by us (so no to either one). We've never had a problem keeping a full group together.

I've had two main groups in my life.

1e group of 7 (with various others joining for a short time) during my Jr. high and high school years 1982-1988.

My current group of five started when 3e came out in 2000 and has gone through 3e, 1e, M&M, 4e and various board games.

I've always hosted as well. The large oak table of my youth is now in my house.

What if his religion forbade the use of religious iconography, including such things as demons and devils, or forbade pretending to cast spells? Would it be reasonable for him to expect gamers to forbear?

Sure - we'd be playing Champions (or M&M or....) :)

If that was a restriction, I wouldn't be looking for a group that gamed fantasy. I have never said drinking is bad - just that I won't be in a group that has it. Generally that means that I will leave a group because that attitude (as has been shown by this thread) is uncommon, and oft misunderstood. I'll live without a group that engages in something I prefer to avoid.

It isn't a "take my ball and go home" thing - it's "drinking of any sort makes me uncomfortable enough that I would never feel comfortable in a group with drinkers, so I leave so as not to disrupt anyone else's fun".

With the thought experiment you describe it would be the same thing - if that sort of thing made me uncomfortable (or was forbidden as it were), then I would just find a group where that difficulty doesn't come up - as in my flip answer of playing a superhero RPG where that sort of stuff doesn't come up much (if at all).

It isn't, to me, asking someone to forebear - it's a clash of game styles. If my presence was seen as necessary for the group, and the group needed me there, I would explain my position about alcohol, and ask people not to drink while I was around. If that wasn't possible I'd leave... so that those that wish to drink still can.

It's all about the social dynamics of the group.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why is this something you can't understand? Do you not believe I have experienced negative consequences from people's consumption of alcohol? That it's not been pleasant, but rather a hassle, to try to resolve that?

I get what you're saying. I agree with others that the problem is the person not the alcohol, and treating someone one way because of the offences of another I would - personally - view as social behaviour I wouldn't be prepared to tolerate, whatever the issue in question.

I've had problems with people in cars, but that doesn't prevent me getting into a car just in case something goes wrong, and I don't view all car drivers as maniacs.

All that said, if it's your house, you get to set the rules, however arbitrary others may find them. And, of course, you get to decide the conditions under which you would participate in an activity; certainly nobody can tell you you're wrong to do so.

SKyOdin

First Post
I for one am uncomfortable being around people who are drinking at a social event, so I won't play in a D&D game where other people are drinking. If I am a player, I will politely leave. If I am the DM, I will ask the players to not bring alcohol, and will leave the game if we can't come to an agreement.

I admit that I don't have a particular reason for being uncomfortable around people who are drinking, other than the fact that I don't drink myself. However, I don't think I need a reason to walk out of a game where I feel uncomfortable. Likewise, I have walked out of games before when I simply had a personality conflict with another player. D&D isn't a big enough deal where I feel like I should be forced to put up with uncomfortable situations.

As far as I'm concerned, if it isn't a problem it isn't a problem. That is, I don't see drinking, itself, as something negative or to be banned because it could potentially cause a problem. I see having a couple beers while playing D&D exactly like I see having a couple beers while playing poker, or darts, or pool, or whatever. No big deal or cause for concern.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It might be really interesting to start a poll on the drinking attitude as compared to country. I suspect that a higher percentage of folks in the US will have a problem with it, but I don't know for sure.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
This is awesome. I'm watching Mr. Show, an old HBO sketch comedy show, doing a "Jeepers Creepers, Semi-Star" bit (a take-off on "Jesus Christ, Superstar). And just as I clink on this thread, the protagonist sings, "You play video golf and get high all the time / It's okay to get high sometimes / But all the time? / That's not fine!"

Sweet! Sing it, David Cross!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads