Dragon Magazine goes political

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Stannis

Explorer
Randolpho said:
This is all I have to say on the subject:

ACF356.gif

Dragon needs to get up off their asses and stop whining about this. They're not loosing a massive audience here.

yep. you've distilled this situation down to its essence, randolpho.

or, to put it another way....from "dirty harry"

"well i'm all broken up about his rights."

King_Stannis

Explorer
Ristamar said:

I'm not sure where it came from or how authentic it was, but I saw a video clip of a guy daring his buddy to go up to a cop and flip him off. Well, he went straight up to the officer, shot him the double bird, and in response the officer smacked the **** out of him with his night stick.

It was both funny and disturbing.

yep, funny that the cop whacked the s#it out of him, and disturbing that the punk has such little regard for authority.

Last edited:

Ristamar

Adventurer
King_Stannis said:

yep, funny that the cop whacked the s#it out of him, and disturbing that the punk has such little regard for authority.

Oh, I agree. But I don't really think the severe beatdown was necessary, either. That was somewhat disturbing.

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
Ristamar said:

I'm not sure where it came from or how authentic it was, but I saw a video clip of a guy daring his buddy to go up to a cop and flip him off. Well, he went straight up to the officer, shot him the double bird, and in response the officer smacked the **** out of him with his night stick.

It was both funny and disturbing.

Notice that I did not say that cops can't over react or have a bad day but I would be very suprised if the guy that got beaten by the cop for insulting behavior got landed in prison (which was the issue and would be further impressed if the cop in question did not get sued.

And 47 as far as I know driving while intoxicated is a crime and rightfully so IMO, most places do not send you straight up river for your first offense

Neither item was funny. The first was a punk who did nothing illegal though it was rude. The second act though was assault and should have ended the cops career AND put him in jail.

Need I remind people here that respect is NOT a right guarunteed by law? Cops do not deserve nor are they granted respect by anything. Yes they may be granted certain levels of authority but that is not the same thing as respect.

Ristamar said:

Oh, I agree. But I don't really think the severe beatdown was necessary, either. That was somewhat disturbing.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Wicht said:

Notice that I did not say that cops can't over react or have a bad day but I would be very suprised if the guy that got beaten by the cop for insulting behavior got landed in prison (which was the issue and would be further impressed if the cop in question did not get sued.

And 47 as far as I know driving while intoxicated is a crime and rightfully so IMO, most places do not send you straight up river for your first offense

True. I wasn't trying to offer it up as hard evidence, but simply as an example that extreme (and unwarranted?) things can happen...

Anyway, my apologies for steering the thread off-topic.

KDLadage

Explorer
Re: Re: The issue

Originally posted by Don Well, duh. Prison isn't supposed to be fun. These people are being punished for crimes against society. Why should they be allowed to enjoy their imprisonment?

Because prison is supposed to be for the rehabilitation of prisoners?

Because a prisoner that is given some treatment that resembles that of a human is less likely to cause the guards any trouble?

Because allowing a prisoner to focus his anger/problems and chanel them into non-violent activities is a good thing?

Because helping a prisoner to learn better reading, writing and social skills could go a long way towards his/her recovery once s/he is released?

Because showing that D&D is allowed to be played by prisoners is one way of showing parents that it is considered a safe activity for thier children?

I could go on, I suppose...

Arthur Tealeaf

First Post
Wicht said:

I hate to let things like this go by without asking a question or two, namely, do you know anybody who is in jail because they met a cop in a bad mood?

Okay, it's actually different, but what the hell: I read about a pro skater who ran off when the cops arrived (in a no-skating state). Two overweight cops ran after him and both fell and rolled their ankles.

He was charged for assaulting the police officers.

It would NOT surprise me if someone went to jail because a cop was in a crappy mood.

Ristamar

Adventurer
DocMoriartty said:
Neither item was funny. The first was a punk who did nothing illegal though it was rude. The second act though was assault and should have ended the cops career AND put him in jail.

Need I remind people here that respect is NOT a right guarunteed by law? Cops do not deserve nor are they granted respect by anything. Yes they may be granted certain levels of authority but that is not the same thing as respect.

Well, I'm not going to apologize for finding it somewhat amusing. It was a pretty damn stupid move, though it certainly didn't seem to warrant a violent reaction, which is why I also found it disturbing.

And 'severe beatdown' may be stretching the truth a bit. The guy quickly ran back to his friends car. The cop did appear to get a few good shots in, but it's not like he was on the ground bleeding. Prolly managed to garner a few bruises from the encounter, at the most. (it's hard to judge with poorly shot film converted to low-res internet video). Who knows what he said to the cop while flipping him off, or why the cop was there in the first place (responding to a call? *shrug*). Regardless, I didn't mean to spark a debate about it. :p

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
Arthur Tealeaf said:
Okay, it's actually different, but what the hell: I read about a pro skater who ran off when the cops arrived (in a no-skating state). Two overweight cops ran after him and both fell and rolled their ankles.

He was charged for assaulting the police officers.

Okay some further questions
1) What is a no-skating state? Are you talking about skating on open state water or what? Are there states that have outlawed skating rinks?

2) The guy was apparently commiting a crime and then fleeing arrest - Am I right in reading it this way?

3) Was the man actually convicted of the charge?

4) Was the charge filed by the police officers or by the DA? (Police as far as I know are not the ones responsible for charging people with crimes. That is to say, the DA normally decides what charges he think can stick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads