A Moreau by any other name

Prest0

First Post
Moreau, genetically altered human, artificial person, manimal--- they all refer to more or less the same thing. Unfortunately, the creatures from the d20 Modern book called "Moreau" were not released to the modern SRD. So... what should we call them? Has anyone released a product with Moreau-type creatures with an OGL name?

I've been brainstorming for a few days now and haven't come up with any names that are both cool and legal. My favorite was "ProdiGenes". Unfortunately, it passes the first test but fails the second. There's a biotech company by the same name who might consider it trademark infringment.

Anyone care to help brainstorm?

Masada

First Post
Just brain storming here...

Hybrids, Splicers, Chromomids, Chromomods, Humanimal, Hu-Ape, Hu-Rat, Hu-Bear, Mammal Mod, Cross Mammal, Blended, Pelts, Animan, Animen, Animalia, Psuedo Sapien, Animal Sapien, Anisap, Animus Erectus, Walkers, Beasts, Monstrous Human, Hu-Beast

Few term to chew on anyway... good luck!

SWBaxter

First Post
Prest0 said:
Moreau, genetically altered human, artificial person, manimal--- they all refer to more or less the same thing. Unfortunately, the creatures from the d20 Modern book called "Moreau" were not released to the modern SRD. So... what should we call them?

Teenage Mutant Ninja <whatevers>. It must be public domain by now.

Roudi

First Post
"Chimeria" also has the benefit of being a mythological term, and sounding really cool.

I like Masada's suggestion of "Pseudo Humans" as well.

Of course... most Moreau-based campaigns I've seen paint Moreaus as definite outsiders to the rest of the world - elements that don't quite fit in. If Moreaus have no regular term for themselves, and continually switch between being called different names, it heightens the idea that Moreaus don't quite have a discernable identity and still don't "fit".

Just my University English Major's take on the idea.

Roudi

First Post
Technically we are "Homo Sapien Sapien". I wonder if "Homo Sapien Felis" would be more correct? I have no idea how the Latin species naming conventions work.

I do like the idea of each Moreau type having a "scientific name". It'll add versimilitude to the whole shebang.

edit: my post made a lot more sense before DnDChick edited hers.

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Oops ... sorry Roudi ... I thought I'd gotten to it before anyone saw it. :confused:

I thought it sounded silly because I, too, am unsure how the scientific naming convetions would work in this case.

C. Baize

First Post
Roudi said:
Technically we are "Homo Sapien Sapien". I wonder if "Homo Sapien Felis" would be more correct? I have no idea how the Latin species naming conventions work.

I do like the idea of each Moreau type having a "scientific name". It'll add versimilitude to the whole shebang.

edit: my post made a lot more sense before DnDChick edited hers.

Scientific Classifications made easy:

Clicky clicky

Remove ads