[STAR WARS] The Circle Is Complete. Or is it?

noretoc

First Post
I have on an old VHS tape an interview with Lucas, where he states that his idea started with a long story. It was two long for three movies so he took the first half and made that intot he first trilogy (adding enough from the second half to make it feel complete.). Then he said as he was working it out he needed to put some things into perspective so he wrote a back story. That back story is where the prequels came from.

So there are really three trilogies, but the last one, he had never planned on making into movies. Im sure it the time had been right, and the opputunity had been there, he might have taken advantage, but now I don't expect we will see anything.

Orius

Legend
Dark Jezter said:
She dosen't sound like Leia anymore either, unless Episode 7 had a scene explaining that Leia developed a bad smoking habit after the Battle of Endor. ;)

Easy. She developed a bad spice addiction. :]

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Orius said:
Easy. She developed a bad spice addiction. :]

Hey putting together a new Republic is far tougher than all that warring. So she started smoking three packs of death sticks a day and snorted a few kilos of spice....

The thought of a new trilogy makes me feel all funny below the belt. That isn't right.

Even better would be a new TV show starring a 50+ Mark Hammill as Jedi Master Luke Skywalker and his reforging of the Jedi order.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
If Lucas decides to do the sequel trilogy, even if he cans all the Expanded Universe material, none of the original characters will be safe. More likely, they'll be killed off like old Obi-Wan and Yoda. I'm not sure I want to deal with their deaths on the big screen after idolizing their heroics for most of my life. Maybe its time to put this one to bed and let it go gracefully.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I'd love to see him do something just to invalidate Dark Empire.

Yeah, while they were decent comics, it totally invalidates Vader's sacrifice. What irritates me even more is the fact that they bring it up in some of the novels. At least most of the novels had a grasp on what the movies were about and didn't try to invalidate them.

Speaking of which, if they were to do the sequel trilogy, I would be interested in seeing the Zahn trilogy brought to the big screen - even if they would have to recast all the characters.

driver8

First Post
I was actually a bit of an opponent of the prequels since as I thought you knew how the story would come out. And unless the journey was better than the destination it wouldnt work. And in EP I and II we got a lot of exposition with some cool action sequneces. Ep III probably saved the day; and for me in the end if payed off- as a slight SW geek it was cool to see the betrayal of the Jedi, the creation of the clones, the "birth" of Vader.

That said , what is the payoff to a third trilogy? These six movies are really about Vader and his offspring, how the choices they made effected the universe. It was epic in scope and dealt with good and evil.

If you have three more movies, it can only really cheapen the epicness of Vader's story. A talented prodigy who falls victim to his own desires and is manipulated to become a force of evil, but who in the end redeems himself. If you have cloned Emperors or a returning Empire or whatever, I dont see how that can be thematically tied to what has gone before. Itd would just be more of the same.

Just my opinion tho..

Welverin

First Post
Ranger REG said:
I take it that Revenge of the Sith did not redeem him of his two previous filmmaking attempts. Is that a fair statement?

Not completely, mind you I like all three prequels, but it's clear George has some deficiencies and could use some help. I would much rather he make a SW movie all by himself than turn it over to someone else (dread it even), but they would be much improved if he got help writing the scripts and directing the actors.

Portman's 'performance' in Ep2 is some bad I'm utterly stupefied people can criticize Hayden and never even mention her. For god's sake he confesses to kill an entire tribe of sandpeople, something clearly wrong and against the jedi code, and what does she do? Stand there blank faced (reminds me of the kind in the Princess Bride when Buttercup says she's going to kill herself and all he can do is talk about is being kissed).

Of course I believe the criticism of Hayden's acting is really criticism of the character, which people don't like (he's annoying and whiny, which doesn't fit their perception of what the future Darth Vader should be), and they can't separate that from the acting.

noretoc said:
I have on an old VHS tape an interview with Lucas, where he states that his idea started with a long story. It was two long for three movies so he took the first half and made that intot he first trilogy (adding enough from the second half to make it feel complete.). Then he said as he was working it out he needed to put some things into perspective so he wrote a back story. That back story is where the prequels came from.

Which is different from what he said on the recent DVD, which basically was that he wrote one script which ballooned until it turned into the three movies we know now as the OT (the deathstar was supposed to be at the end of the whole thing, but when he made SW he didn't know if he'd ever get there, but really wanted it so included it there) and as you said he wrote up the backstory (i.e. the prequels), to some degree, so he could understand the character in the movies he made.

Whisperfoot said:
Speaking of which, if they were to do the sequel trilogy, I would be interested in seeing the Zahn trilogy brought to the big screen - even if they would have to recast all the characters.

Thrwan, best villain ever. At least that's what I thought before RotS, but Palpy's machinations are grand it's hard to vote against him.

driver8 said:
That said , what is the payoff to a third trilogy? These six movies are really about Vader and his offspring, how the choices they made effected the universe. It was epic in scope and dealt with good and evil.

I'm mostly with you on this one, the overall SW saga is wrapped up in RotJ, and there's really nowhere else to go.

I do view the over all plot somewhat differently; I see the over all plot being about the rise and fall of Palpatine and the Empire, which I consider synonymous. The first trilogy is about Anakin’s development and eventual fall to the darkside, and the second trilogy is about Luke avoiding the path of his father.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Welverin said:
Of course I believe the criticism of Hayden's acting is really criticism of the character, which people don't like (he's annoying and whiny, which doesn't fit their perception of what the future Darth Vader should be), and they can't separate that from the acting.
Well, Darth Vader is a larger-than-life character. So Anakin too must be larger-than-life, but instead he exhibited the same normal behavior you would see in a typical child prodigy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases