[STAR WARS] The Circle Is Complete. Or is it?

RedShirtNo5

First Post
I also remember that 3 trilogies were originally discussed.

I find it moderately interesting that the proposed tv series is slotted between episodes III and IV. The way I see it, Lucas is still leaving his options open on a 3rd trilogy. I think he doesn't even know himself if he wants to do it. He downplays the last trilogy in order to avoid questions and public or fan pressure. But if some point in the future he has the energy and he decides to go forward, the Expanded Universe is easily ignored (e.g., Splinter of the Mind's Eye).

-RedShirt

stevelabny

Explorer
i too read magazines (star wars insider?) between empire and jedi where he was quoted as saying three trilogies. and i dont believe the mags printed false quotes.

as for letting authors write the future... how far has the timeline gone forward?
in theory, the next movie would have either been about the kids (the twins and anakin2 and whoever else is still around, i think i heard one of them is dead already) as teens or about the kids as the "old" generation teaching a new set of kids.

so whatever happened to the original gang would be fair game. as long as the droids survive.

Klaus

First Post
Coruscant was first named by Zahn in his Thrawn Trilogy.

Against his wishes, but bowing to the general popularity of those novels (which came at a time when Star Wars was naught but nostalgia), Lucas adopted the name as canon. It was first included in the Tie Fighter game, by LucasArts (when you, playing an imperial pilot, is rewarded by the Emperor himself in Coruscant, mirroring the end of Episode IV).

Later Coruscant was featured heavily in the Shadows of the Empire multimedia thing, which detailed the events between Episodes V and VI, with Lucas' full approval (he even said he wished he had done that as a movie).

Frostmarrow

First Post
I've heard that someone proposed Lucas do three sequels. However, Lucas thought that the story pretty much had come to a satisfiying ending in episode VI. Instead he said that he might do three more films but that they'd be prequels because the fall of the Republic was such an interesting story to tell. Somewhere someone got it wrong and made it sound like Lucas had promised both.

Still, the thing is... Of course there will be more Star Wars films made! There is too much creativity pent up in the fan following and there is too much money to be made. Also, there are certainly more stories to tell in Lucas universe.

AND IT WILL BE IN GLORIOUS 3D.

Chain Lightning

First Post
In many geek sessions with other fellow geeks, we've talked about the whole third trilogy thing. Most usually say that its not needed. Also, that if it was to be done, it would be silly because the story truly is complete at the end of episode 6. At first I agreed, but later I actually started to think there is indeed several interesting ways to extend the journey of the Skywalkers to include 3 more episodes and a satisfying point of completion.

Personally, for my tastes, I wouldn't go the route Zahn did. I appreciate his hard work on the books and I'm glad lots of fans enjoyed it, but it was my opinion that he didn't advance the story in a good way.

A younger more optimistic and energetic Lucas is probably the one that said 3 trilogies. Obviously he's changed his mind. Which is cool and all. However, why deny that the original plan was for 3? What's wrong with saying that you've re-evaluated it and decided to only keep it to 2?

Lucas, so weird . . . .

fett527

First Post
DungeonmasterCal said:
If I really wanted to shove it in Lucas' face, I'd dig into my storage and find the old Starlog magazine interviews he did in '77 and '78 where he DID say 3 trilogies.

I've got an issue later than that I believe when he discusses it. Will check before I leave for the theatre tonight.

Taelorn76 said:
**Tealorn bows head in shame and is stripped of Star Wars geek badge** :(
One of my most embarrasing moments: a fellow geek gamer and I whipped out my copy of Star Wars Trivial Pursuit and jokingly challenged our non-geek wives to play against us. We agreed to let them work "as a team" to better give them an opportunity to catch us. AND THEY WON!!!

Of course, we coincidentally got questions like "what is the name of the system first mentioned by Han and Leia after getting dumped (with the rest of the garbage) before they decide to visit Lando? (Anoat system) and they got questions like "what was Ben Kenobi's name that he hadn't heard in a long time?" (Obiwan, in case anyone reading this is stupid), but that still doesn't erase the pain...

RedShirtNo5 said:
I also remember that 3 trilogies were originally discussed.

I find it moderately interesting that the proposed tv series is slotted between episodes III and IV. The way I see it, Lucas is still leaving his options open on a 3rd trilogy. I think he doesn't even know himself if he wants to do it. He downplays the last trilogy in order to avoid questions and public or fan pressure. But if some point in the future he has the energy and he decides to go forward, the Expanded Universe is easily ignored (e.g., Splinter of the Mind's Eye).
Apparently --despite his denials-- he's had NDAs for his employees for episodes 7-9. I still don't think they'll actually get made, but it looks like he is keeping his options open.

Kaledor

First Post
Growing up I was confident that Lucas had planned three trilogies. It was almost like it was common knowledge...

I remeber reading recently (can't find link) that the original concept of three trilogies basically took ESB and RotJ and made roughly five movies out of them rather than two movies... That the final trilogy was going to feature Luke's mysterious sister (not orignially planned to be Leia) and the redemption of his father. But when scripts were in development for ESB the whole idea of a third trilogy was nixed and altered to fit into two movies.

With that said, I'm also confident that a few months ago someone on these boards posted a link to a news scoop that said that ILM employees had signed NDAs for eps 7, 8, 9...

Remove ads