Miser with Magic

apoptosis

First Post
Does this feat form the KoK players guide seem to be very very powerful or am i missing something.

It allows a player to roll against A specific DC and not lose the memorized spell or spell slot.

e.g. a 10th level caster does a spellcraft check against DC's

1rst level spell 12
2nd Level spell 14
3rd level spell 16
4th level spell 18
5th level spell 20.

They could have up to 13 ranks in spellcraft (+13) and say a +4 intelligence bonus and they would only fail on a 1 for spell levels 1-4 and only fail on a 1 or a 2 for a 5th level spell.

Why would any wizard not take this feat. It seems to be almost unlimited casting of memorized spells.

Which means i must be missing something really basic in this rule.

kreynolds

First Post
apoptosis said:
They could have up to 13 ranks in spellcraft (+13) and say a +4 intelligence bonus and they would only fail on a 1 for spell levels 1-4

You don't autofail on skill checks. So the caster couldn't possibly fail on spell levels 1-3.

Crothian

First Post
"You may only use this ability on a number of spell levels equal to the ability score modifier appropriate to the type of spells you cast."

So, as usual, the answer is in the feat's description.

Marshall

First Post
Crothian said:
"You may only use this ability on a number of spell levels equal to the ability score modifier appropriate to the type of spells you cast."

So, as usual, the answer is in the feat's description.

That doesnt help anything. Since he has a +4 INT bonus, the feat essentially translates into unlimited casting for all prepared 1-4th level spells, and something as simple as a Headband +2 would in this case make all spells unlimited.

As much as people call FR munchkin, I'm shocked at just how bad this book is...

IceBear

Explorer
I might be missing something here, but I think they meant spell levels as in total number of spell levels you could retain.

i.e., if you have +4 INT then one 4th level spell, 4 1st level spells, etc

Not as in ALL 1st-4th level spells

IceBear

Magus_Jerel

First Post
IIRC - it's rolled as you cast each spell.

There isn't a "per day" limit on this thing tho.

With your example - I don't think that particular caster could even try to hold onto his 5th level spell slots.

The problem is; if you start of with an intelligence of 18 ... and go to about 12th level with this thing - major problems happen.

18 +3(levels) +6(magic item) = 27

That's a +8 bonus ... almost +9...

Sounds munchkiny to me.

IceBear

Explorer
Any rule can be made as munchkiny as the DM allows. I doubt I'll have any players in my group with an Intelligence that high any time soon (Very few +6 items in my campaign, so a 12th level spellcaster with 21 in his spellcasting attribute isn't too bad to me)

Yes, it's rolled with each spell that the PC wants to try to keep, and I'd keep track of how many spell levels he managed to be "miserly" with.

Anyway, if it doesn't work as I think it does then I'd agree with you that it's extremely broken, but I think it works as I describe.

IceBear

Last edited:

Magus_Jerel

First Post
well - some quick fixes on it (If it works as I think it does here)

Make it a will save - instead of a spellcraft check;

Apply a restriction that you may only use this ability on X spell slots PER TIME that you prepare spells.

(it is possible to get 2 "progressions" in one day but extremely difficult, thus the wording)

Either way - it is still a bit over the top.

Remove ads