• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Miser with Magic

Jotun

First Post

An errata has been posted on Kenzer's board.
The Miser with Magic feat has been altered by adding "per day" to the end of the feat's description.

Marshall writes:
As much as people call FR munchkin, I'm shocked at just how bad this book is...

I too have purchased the KoK Player's book and I don't agree. I use the FR material a fair amount but concur that there's some things, specifically combat-related magical feats/spells/weapons/etc, that make it an easy to abuse, often over-powered, setting. People don't all have the same standards, but what other things in this book would lead a person to believe that it's "this bad".

BTW, Psion's got another very good review posted here on EN World.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
I don't really see it as being over the top. With successful rolls, the spellcaster in the example would get an extra 4th level spell, or 4 extra 1st level spells, or 2 extra 2nd level spells. Sure, it's a good feat, one that I would definitely want as a spellcaster, but I don't think it's in the realm of munckinland :)

IceBear

Mr.Binx

First Post
How about this?:
Conserve Spell
You can choose one spell that you can attempt to cast without losing the memorized spell.
Prerequisite: Ability to memorize or prepare spells in advance.
Benefit: Choose any 0-, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd-level spel that you can cast. From now on you can attempt to cast that power without losing the prepared spell. To cast a spell using Conserve Spell make an ability check (wisdom for clerics, intelligence for wizards, charisma for sorcerors, etc.). If you meet or exceed the ability check DC (see below) the spell is cast but the spell remains prepared so that it may be cast at a later time. You fail the check, the spell is still cast and the prepared spell is removed from the caster's memory as normal.
DCs for the ability check are determined by spell level: 0-level, 11; 1st level, 13; 2nd level, 15; and 3rd level 17.
Special: You can take this feat multiple times, each time using it for a new spell. This feat cannot be used with substituted spells (i.e. a cleric substituting a spell out for a cure spell), spells cast from magic items, spell-like-abilities, or the like.
I just wrote up this feat in the last 10 minutes simply by hacking up the Trigger Power feat from the Psionics Handbook (p.30). A wizard with an extraordinary intelligence of 18 would have a 35% chance to cast a conserved fireball when using the above feat. Off the cuff and not too shabby.

Last edited:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
For me the feat before the errata was a must have feat for all spellcasters. After the errata it's a must not have except for maybe some flavor reasons feat.

Marshall

First Post
Jotun said:
I too have purchased the KoK Player's book and I don't agree. I use the FR material a fair amount but concur that there's some things, specifically combat-related magical feats/spells/weapons/etc, that make it an easy to abuse, often over-powered, setting. People don't all have the same standards, but what other things in this book would lead a person to believe that it's "this bad".

The editing mostly, check out the Brigand...

Just how many skill points is he supposed to get? 2,3, or 4?
Just what is the BAB supposed to be? That funky list (FTR-1) or CLR like the charts in the front say?
What about saves? Half good or standard lists?

Some of the spells are way out of kilter, like that CLR 2 sonic cone spell. Compare it to sound burst and see if you thinks its even close.

IceBear

Explorer
Magus_Jerel said:
Given the errata - it is balanced... fairly nifty feat.

Oh what a difference a couple of small words can make.

You know, even before the errata I was reading that as "per day" :p

I guess I need to learn how to read, although I would have made it per day even without the errata - it was too unbalanced otherwise.

IceBear

IceBear

Explorer
Marshall said:
Some of the spells are way out of kilter, like that CLR 2 sonic cone spell. Compare it to sound burst and see if you thinks its even close.

This is normally true of most add-on spells. Look at all the problem spells added via the WotC splatbooks for example.

IceBear

Remove ads