Post Star Wars thoughts here WITH NO SPOILERS!

reveal

Adventurer
Did you like it? Was it good? Did it sucked? Was it a waste of money?

There are threads here with spoilers and there are threads that aren't supposed to have spoilers but do. Let's try to have a thread that has NO SPOILERS and see who posts spoilers in here first, even though the instruction for this thread is simply POST NO SPOILERS BUT DO POST YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THE MOVIE. :)

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
That is most hardest thing to ask anyone, on not posting spoilers...it is like saying, Hey...wanna join me on the dark side:lol:

p.s., I think there is already a thought thread, just below this one...several kilks away.

John Crichton

First Post
Here's my review post from the ratings thread with all the spoilers edited out. With any luck it will make sense...

I'm going to have to give it a 10 out of 10.

Does this mean that it is better than or equal to the quality of A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back? No, it certainly doesn't. It is good for it's own reasons. The only problems that I could have had with it fall in the dialogue area but there are exposititory scenes in ALL the Star Wars movies that I could do without so I cannot hold those moments against this film.

It should also be noted that I am biased. Very biased, in fact because there are some hard core geek-out moments that are so good that they make the film all that much more enjoyable. Will these moments stand the test of time like Eps 4/5, I dunno? There were so many parts that will only be caught be people who have watched the originals over and over again that were great. If I was a girl, I would have been squealing. As it was I was reduced to a bunch of muttered, "no way" and "holy &%$#" comments. You'll see what I mean. :)

I can boil down why I rated it so high to this: Revenge of the Sith makes all the films better. Many of the scenes from other movies will now hold more weight. Lucas does a fine job of mirror scenes. For example, recall the pod race and how the close-ups of Anakin were similar to Vader's Tie Fighter close-ups in the trench battle. Things like that, only better.

Palpatine's machinations were brilliant. Every time he was onscreen, especially with Anakin, there was the perfect sense of dread and deception that there needs to be in order for the character and plot to work. I can easily say that Anakin's change was certainly visible onscreen and done well. His torment and tormented choices made me really want to reach out and say, "No man... don't do it!"

Everyone has something to say about the final duel and so do I. This is not a spoiler: The way it ends is so telling of how all the previous events have effected all characters involved. It is beautiful, horrifying and tragic all at once. And the intercutting is nothing short of masterful.

There are 2 scenes that are currently burned into my brain. Both of them are near the end of the film, They are the scenes that fans have been waiting 20 years to see. They do not dissappoint.

There were a few parts that didn't sit right with me that have to do with continuity to the OT but they are minor. It will bring me to spoiler territory so I will omit them here. I will say that these scenes didn't detract from my enjoyment but they did change the way a few plot points were presented in the other films and made me do a little head scratching. More may pop up on future viewings and the film may not hold up like the greats of the series but right now I am pumped. Episode 3 was dark, depressing, filled with meaningful action and overall a perfect bow to knot the movies together.

In all, the movie was exhausting. By the time it was over I had taken so much in that I was wiped out. And stunned. Even though I knew how it ended because there could only be one ending it still had some punch. I can't wait to see it again to catch some of the stuff that I missed.

And Lucas was right: The first trilogy was certainly more interesting. Actual war is much more entertaining than a political war and trade disputes. If he started the story with Episode I, the rest of the films simply wouldn't have happened.

Last edited:

John Crichton said:
I'm going to have to give it a 10 out of 10.

Does this mean that it is better than or equal to the quality of A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back? No, it certainly doesn't.
If there are better movies than it, how can it get 10 out of 10? There's nowhere left for Star Wars or Empire to go.

After one viewing, I think this movie, alone of the prequels, will manage to stand up next to the Original Trilogy and make a place for itself next to them. It's light-years (or parsecs, maybe, if Han Solo is ignored :D) better than Menace or Clones.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
JC's review is pretty much my thoughts, though I give it a 9 due to Empire still being the best. I'm sorry, but "I am your father" just kills everything. :)

OMG...I remember sitting in a capacity packed theater on a summer afternoon. When Vader made that proclamation, every heart in that auditorium stopped for a second. It was the most amazing movie moment for me ever.

Pants

First Post
Hm, I dunno... probably an 8. Hammy acting and lame dialogue and exposition aside, the movie had some truly excellent scenes (the ending for one) and Anakin's downfall was very well done. Obi Wan and Anakin actually had some really good chemistry this time around. Same with Anakin and Padme.

Grievances? General Grievous was a waste of a character. Not very menacing, nor very interesting. And the beginning sequence just didn't thrill me very much. I was just waiting for it to end so the movie could move on. Not a very good feeling to associate with a film's opening, not to mention a battle scene.

Minor annoyances aside, I think Sith may very well end up being as good as, if not better than, Jedi. It'll take a few more viewings before I finally settle on an accurate score, but for right now, an 8 seems satisfactory.

Pants said:
Minor annoyances aside, I think Sith may very well end up being as good as, if not better than, Jedi. It'll take a few more viewings before I finally settle on an accurate score, but for right now, an 8 seems satisfactory.
Exactly my position too. Nothing is likely to be as annoying as the ewoks have become over the years, but the question is; are the good parts good enough to stack up against Jedi? At first blush, I say yes, but after I've seen it again tomorrow and again next week, I may think differently.

John Crichton

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
If there are better movies than it, how can it get 10 out of 10? There's nowhere left for Star Wars or Empire to go.

After one viewing, I think this movie, alone of the prequels, will manage to stand up next to the Original Trilogy and make a place for itself next to them. It's light-years (or parsecs, maybe, if Han Solo is ignored :D) better than Menace or Clones.
This is where a simple numbers system breaks down, unfortunately. A New Hope and Empire Strikes back are classic films. They are 10's without a doubt and have stood the test of time. Unlike most, I like them equally and while I like my movies dark (Empire) the pure joy of the space battles (especially the last one) and the Mos Eisley Cantina in A New Hope is just too terrific.

That said, there were many years there where I like Return of the Jedi the best of the OT. It was the 10 and the other movies were like 8-9 or something like that. I typically think of things on a 4-star rating. Jedi was 4 and the others were 3.5. Anyway, that opinion has been gone for some time now but it doesn't change the fact that my personal likes vary and I reserve the right to feel rate a film differently over time.

For the moment, and after the one viewing I give Sith a 10. It has things that the other movies don't and is very entertaining in its own way. I make no apologies for it. It doesn't top "Luke, I'M your father." How could it? It's one of the best moments in movie history and the first really big TWIST.

Giving this movie a perfect score is equal to how good it is. I won't lessen it simply because it's not as good (but damn close) as 2 classic movies. It's holds its own and creates some new moments that will be most likely be burned into my brain forever. It is dark, dark and more dark. Then Lucas dipped it in black sauce. I can't think of any changes I'd make to it and I have no large gripes. When I left I was wiped out due to my brain running a mile a minute to take it all in. All 5 movies have been leading up to this and the payoff was totally worth it.

To me, many movies can receive the highest score possible even though they may not be totally perfect. There can be tiers inside the highest ranking. I think along the following lines:

4 = Classic. Blew me away from start to finish.
3 = Very good. Entertaining and a worthwhile experience.
2 = Average. Watchable but flawed.
1 = Terrible. Unwatchable dreck with minor entertainment value at best.
0 = I wish I had that time back. So bad that I almost walked out of the theater.

In time, the film could slip to 3.5 stars, just as Jedi did. When the newness wears off and I can look at it side by side with everything else and dissect it 50 times is when I'll know. But for now, it starts out on top. I did not think Clones was this good. I like it more than Jedi and still do but it never reached the level of A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back. Revenge of the Sith certainly did. It not only felt like Star Wars, it embodied it and craddled it while kicking me hard in the gut whenever the time was right. Anakin's fall should have been like that and it was.

We'll see if it holds up over repeat viewings. :)

Remove ads