Hall of Many Panes

S'mon

Legend
My copy arrived today! Woot! :D

It certainly looks impressive - big heavy box packed with stuff. All the maps & art are on loose print-quality pages which is a bit iffy IMO, though I know why this happened. I'm not sure how much changing I'll have to do, I think Bili is kinda a silly name for the BBEG, so I'm thinking Arioch... ;)

I'm pretty curious about this product. As I recall, it's dual-statted for d20 and Lejendary Advetnure, right?

Any interesting planes that stand out immediately?

Venport

First Post
Yes please tell us about the product but make sure to say where there is some spolers (a Dm in my group may run this) But i'm still interested in the Product

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I'm curious how much of this was written by Gygax, and how much by helpers. Do the credits for the product give any indication?

--Erik

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure the entire set was written by Gary, including the rules pertaining to Lejendary Adventure, with the exception of the d20 stats.

S'mon

Legend
Turanil said:
Tell us more about it right now!!

Possible spoiler: if you don't want to know anything about this product, don't read this thread. I won't reveal any big 'secrets' though.

I haven't looked through the planes yet, except the rest dimensions. There are 51 planes, in 3 softbound books, plus the b&w looseleaf maps and illustrations on plain non-glossy paper. My initial impression when the postie handed me that big heavy parcel and I ripped the packing cardboard off with shaking hands to reveal the glory within, was that HoMP possesses that indefinable something I can only describe as 'coolness'. :) The cover is beautiful (IMO). The general setting uses a generally Celtic and Fey type feel which might not fit some campaigns, I know I'll be doing some tweaking.

(Mild spoiler - players don't read :))

So far I've just read the intro & the 2 'rest areas'.

The Intro

The setup is grandiose, involving struggles between rival gods - this is definitely an 'epic' adventure, not just in length. The basic premise looks good to me; it would fit best in a vaguely Celtic or Greek type pantheon setting, not so well with remote abstract gods devoid of human emotions - the gods here are motivated by lust, love, and other very human emotions.

There is a lot of boxed text, here & everywhere - only it's not boxed, it just uses a different font (arial I think), which looks a bit ugly IMO. The players' intro is a total railroad (you were hired by X, went to Y, did Z & A, then B & C happened, then...", but this is of course necessary or else there's no scenario. I recommend ensuring all the players are keen for running this scenario, paraphrase the intro text a bit if you think they'll find the tone annoying, and it should be fine. As an intro it's suitably dramatic, anyway, given that the PCs have just survived a direct hostile encounter with a fairly major deity...

The Rest Areas

These contain fey creatures and IMO are interesting and well-done, if slightly twee in that mock-Gaelic way; I've seen much much worse though.

Lots of boxed text again here - I have to say that IMO Gary's prose would benefit from the ministrations of a stern editor. He constantly breaches most of the cardinal rules of RPG writing, eg he's always telling the players what their PCs are doing in the boxed text - from eating a carrot to performing a full search of the locale! It's also far too long. When I tried to run Necropolis the players were screaming at me to stop reading it out. If/when I run HoMP I'll be going heavy on the blue pencil. OTOH they are certainly flavourful & interesting to read; even though they are far too long, I much prefer them to the dryasdust writing in WoTC scenarios. Also unlike Necropolis, it's black text on white, in a decent font size, so it's easy to read & edit.

More later...

S'mon

Legend
Gentlegamer said:
I'm pretty sure the entire set was written by Gary, including the rules pertaining to Lejendary Adventure, with the exception of the d20 stats.

That's my impression - the difference in style is fairly clear, for one thing. Cover page credits Gary Gygax with Jon Creffield. BTW there is boxed text in this module - all the specifically LA stuff is in a grey box. Funnily enough some of this includes interesting snippets I may use if I run it in d20!

BTW re the beautiful art - it appears on the box, then on the front cover of all 3 of the volumes within. I think you can have too much of a good thing...

S'mon

Legend
One thing that concerns me a bit is advancement. The Panes seem designed to run in any order, which with 3e's notorious super-fast advancement rate might make the module too easy if it's balanced for 8th level throughout. It suggests giving 1/2 XP, which I already do in my Barakus campaign (to which HoMP may sequel). I also get the impression that raw smackdown power may not be the solution to winning this scenario. I hope it's not as unbalanced as Necropolis (which was for 14th level PCs, ELs typically went something like 9-14-18-23-5...) - I will definitely be keeping a close eye on the CRs.

S'mon

Legend
Looking at a random Pane, it involves an encounter with a Mongol style horde. It looks like fun. The d20 stats are very iffy though, as I suspected - all the several hundred Mongols are 8th level Warriors, with each of them having ca 60 hit points and scimitars doing d6+1 or d6+2 damage... That doesn't look good to me. I think this will need a lot of editing work to be playable, in the stat blocks as well as the read-aloud text. It still looks like fun, though. The way to complete the module looks quite inspired, about as un-railroady as you could get. It's arbitrary, but it allows for a huge degree of player choice & freedom, which is great IMO.

Remove ads