Fix for Boost

Rystil Arden

First Post
Velmont said:
That could be easily fix: the maximum DC of attack power (Perception or attack roll) is affected by the trade-off, not only powers with attack roll.
No I think you have it backwards, Bront did the opposite switch (the one where you lower attack roll to get higher DC) without actually having any attack rolls to lower ;)

My suggested fix is to not allow powers with no attack roll to gain the bonus to DC cap.

Velmont

First Post
Oops, forget it...

Anyway, trade-off doesn't appply to power without attack roll. Perception power are limited to PL of the game. It is not an house rule, it is written somewhere in the book (I don't have it near, so I can't tell you which page). But in the FAQ, you can read:

FAQ said:
If a perception range power is reduced to normal or touch range does it require an attack roll? Can Power Attack work with it? Can it score a critical hit?

Yes to all. Not needing an attack roll is an inherent part of perception range. If the power’s range is changed, it now needs an attack roll, and is subject to all the normal rules of powers that do so, including attack/save DC trade-offs, the Power Attack feat, and critical hits (along with an automatic miss on a natural 1).

So it let suppose Perception power isn't affected by the trade-off rules.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Velmont said:
Oops, forget it...

Anyway, trade-off doesn't appply to power without attack roll. Perception power are limited to PL of the game. It is not an house rule, it is written somewhere in the book (I don't have it near, so I can't tell you which page). But in the FAQ, you can read:

So it let suppose Perception power isn't affected by the trade-off rules.
Cool! I actually thought I was using the rules correctly when I did it, but then I couldn't find where it said that, but I figured it was just common-sense :) Oh, and I guess I could help look over characters if I have time. I'm a bit hardline on some things I think are abusive, but it seems like I have the rules down pretty well.

Erekose13

Explorer
Boost was hard to come up with something that was balanced. With 72 points, I could've gone all out and boosted everyones power or stats or skills or all of it all at once over an area forever. With Bront's and other's help we scaled it back and came up with something that was more in line with what the character was all about. I guess its still too broken.

Regarding healing, I thought it was all conditions at once too... doh. I don't have the book on me.

A big note is that this is the first (and only) M&M character I've created. I haven't had a lot of time to actually read the whole book yet. So I'm quite impressed that I managed to create a character that is brokun. That said I am willing to work with everyone on making him more balanced. Although I was seriously considering just retiring the character and build something funner, because honestly its hard to play a super hero that doesn't go *Blam* *Whack* *Kapoow*.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
A big note is that this is the first (and only) M&M character I've created.

Yeah, mine was for me too, and apparently I'm on the 'watch-list' now with B&S and Dominus, the two that I would have put there as well, looking them all over :lol:

I actually would go so far as to ponder that Boost is probably usually fine with the restrictions Bront and I suggest, and that given any reasonable amount of Slow Fade, it is always (or very nearly always) broken as an alt power otherwise.

Bront

The man with the probe
hero4hire said:
Bront,

Do you need an extra pair of eyes for character creation approval? I remember you had another character judge at one point but you seem to be handling the load by yourself for awhile now.

~H4H
Another set of eyes wouldn't hurt, but I'm not doing too bad. I'm not as prompt as I am with LEB, but LEB is easier (at the moment)

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Is that really allowed? If I had known, I would have done it. I told my players they weren't allowed to do this when one of them suggested taking a -10 to attack cap to get a +10 to save DC (he had no powers with an attack roll). This made me institute the following (IMO reasonable) house rule--the save DC cap raise only applies to attacks that use attack rolls. It's only fair. By the way, Psyren has a problem with Diplomacy--Attractive feat counts as ranks, and she thus has more than the maximum 13 ranks in the skill.
She took the flat -2/+2 on all attacks. Also, admittedly, I didn't think much about it at the time, as the idea was that she was a bit wild, but strong. I can fix it if need be, as it's realy not that big an issue, I can simply add an extra on the powers instead and that should bring them in line.

And Diplomacy is easy to simply ignore any ranks higher than that. I was unaware that attractiveness counted as ranks. However, it works on other skills as well, and it makes sense from an RP standpoint. I can fix it fairly quickly by just changing the effective skill listed.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Erekose13 said:
A big note is that this is the first (and only) M&M character I've created. I haven't had a lot of time to actually read the whole book yet. So I'm quite impressed that I managed to create a character that is brokun. That said I am willing to work with everyone on making him more balanced. Although I was seriously considering just retiring the character and build something funner, because honestly its hard to play a super hero that doesn't go *Blam* *Whack* *Kapoow*.
Given the controversy, I'd be willing to allow you to bring earned PPs over to a new character if that's easier and more entertaining for you anyway.

I know you didn't try to break the system, apparently it just happened.

Healing power said:
You can heal injuries by touch. With a full-round action, you can do any
one of the following:
• Grant a character an immediate recovery check for the subject’s worst
damage condition
, with a bonus equal to your Healing rank. If the
check fails, you must wait the normal recovery time for that condition
or use extra effort to try again. If successful, you can use Healing
again normally.
• Grant a bonus on saving throws equal to your Healing rank against
effects with disease or poison descriptors. The bonus applies to the
subject’s next save against the effect.
• Stabilize a dying character with a DC 10 Healing check.

There's more, but it's not that important. Doesn't seem to broken to me.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
She took the flat -2/+2 on all attacks. Also, admittedly, I didn't think much about it at the time, as the idea was that she was a bit wild, but strong. I can fix it if need be, as it's realy not that big an issue, I can simply add an extra on the powers instead and that should bring them in line.

Velmont says (and I agree in spirit with this) that you don't get the +2 DC on attacks with no attack roll because you didn't lose anything on them either.

Remove ads