Fix for Boost

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
Velmont says (and I agree in spirit with this) that you don't get the +2 DC on attacks with no attack roll because you didn't lose anything on them either.
Yeah, I read that later. I'll make the appropriate fixes.

Salix

First Post
Erekose13 said:
Boost was hard to come up with something that was balanced. With 72 points, I could've gone all out and boosted everyones power or stats or skills or all of it all at once over an area forever. With Bront's and other's help we scaled it back and came up with something that was more in line with what the character was all about. I guess its still too broken.

Regarding healing, I thought it was all conditions at once too... doh. I don't have the book on me.

A big note is that this is the first (and only) M&M character I've created. I haven't had a lot of time to actually read the whole book yet. So I'm quite impressed that I managed to create a character that is brokun. That said I am willing to work with everyone on making him more balanced. Although I was seriously considering just retiring the character and build something funner, because honestly its hard to play a super hero that doesn't go *Blam* *Whack* *Kapoow*.

Erekose,
I was going to post something reiterating that nothing I posted is personal, but given your response I see that was unneccesary. It's nice to see a mature discussion, and I end up learning a lot by talking with everyone here. As far as the healing goes, it has been about right in Help Wanted. I could see it being a bigger issue in a more conventional mission where the team is ganging up on one person. Healing in itself is probably the least troubling thing about B&S. One of the things that the mastermind's manual discusses is when players solve a problem by intentionally getting hurt to achieve a goal, because they know a healer is around. We don't have a problem there because the players we have try to stick within Roleplaying instead of powergaming. I just thought I'd air some of my concerns while we were on the subject of tricky powers.

El Jefe

First Post
Salix said:
Erekose,
One of the things that the mastermind's manual discusses is when players solve a problem by intentionally getting hurt to achieve a goal, because they know a healer is around.
This brings to my mind Saberhagen's Swords (or Lost Swords) books, a series about 12 swords, each an artifact with a supreme power. One brings the owner impossibly good luck, another reflects one's enemies attacks perfectly back to the originator, another is guaranteed to slay any dragon, etc.

Of the 12, one of the ones that was most feared was Woundhealer. Anyone "cut" or "stabbed" by Woundhealer was healed, even regrowing amputated limbs (although something that extensive could take several months). The reason it was feared was because the owner would thrust it through his heart, then lay hands on conventional weapons and stride off to battle. Completely invincible, so long as no one pulled Woundhealer from his heart...

Salix

First Post
El Jefe said:
This brings to my mind Saberhagen's Swords (or Lost Swords) books, a series about 12 swords, each an artifact with a supreme power. One brings the owner impossibly good luck, another reflects one's enemies attacks perfectly back to the originator, another is guaranteed to slay any dragon, etc.

Of the 12, one of the ones that was most feared was Woundhealer. Anyone "cut" or "stabbed" by Woundhealer was healed, even regrowing amputated limbs (although something that extensive could take several months). The reason it was feared was because the owner would thrust it through his heart, then lay hands on conventional weapons and stride off to battle. Completely invincible, so long as no one pulled Woundhealer from his heart...
I remember reading the boooks, but everything is pretty fuzzy by now. The book suggests forcing a will save to see if the player can go through with the action.

Velmont

First Post
Bront said:
She took the flat -2/+2 on all attacks. Also, admittedly, I didn't think much about it at the time, as the idea was that she was a bit wild, but strong. I can fix it if need be, as it's realy not that big an issue, I can simply add an extra on the powers instead and that should bring them in line.

There is no problem with that. It mean that for all power that require an attack roll, you can raise the DC up tp PL+2, but your attack roll cannot be more higher than PL-2. And as the book tells:

M&M 2nd Edition (p.24) said:
This modification does not apply to powers that do not require attack rolls; they remain limited by the campaign's normal PL limit on the save DC modifiers.

So Psyren have nothing that cause problem.

Velmont

First Post
Salix said:
One of the things that the mastermind's manual discusses is when players solve a problem by intentionally getting hurt to achieve a goal, because they know a healer is around. We don't have a problem there because the players we have try to stick within Roleplaying instead of powergaming. I just thought I'd air some of my concerns while we were on the subject of tricky powers.

Well, you do as it happen in a game here on EnWorld. My character was dead, teh healer tried to use his power, and the power fail, thanks to the Unlucky drawback (in 3.5, it would be a GM Fiat)

If the healer doesn't have the Persistant feat, well, the GM can always send a character with the Incurable power feat.

Salix

First Post
Velmont said:
Well, you do as it happen in a game here on EnWorld. My character was dead, teh healer tried to use his power, and the power fail, thanks to the Unlucky drawback (in 3.5, it would be a GM Fiat)

If the healer doesn't have the Persistant feat, well, the GM can always send a character with the Incurable power feat.
velmont, not sure I followed that. How were you trying to power game instead of roleplaying. Did that happen in the general forums?

Bront

The man with the probe
FYI, I fixed Psyren's powers in light of the issue about powers and adjustments.

Mind Control is now rank 8, with subtle and progession added, so it's unnoticable and the 2nd save isn't for a full day.

Telepathy is rank 8 and now subtle, and has comprehend.

Sonic Control is droped to 8 ranks, made subtle, and precice (so she can use it to simply project sound and not dazzle.

Telekenisis was ok, but it gained Sublte because it could. Mental Blast will likely betting Subtle soon as well once she earns some points.

That should fix her. I adjusted the effects of her appearance, but that's partialy an RP thing, so I kept the 2 ranks, just ignored anything that put her over her limit.

Velmont

First Post
Salix said:
velmont, not sure I followed that. How were you trying to power game instead of roleplaying. Did that happen in the general forums?

What I meant, it is on that board (but not an LS game), I had a character that died. We had someone able to hea and ressurect, but he had the Unlucky weakness, and his power wasn't usable on me because of that unlickyness. In 2nd edition, unlucky doesn't exist, but a GM Fiat could do the same.

So, if people go in combat and tells themselves that they can be heal, teh could have a surprise because of a GM Fiat. the other psosibility is the villain had the Incurable power feat on his attack power.

hero4hire

Explorer
Well to get back on track.

Boost very abusable? Yes definitely. So is Improved Critical, Putting Power Feats into Alternate Powers, Autofire, Alternate Saves, etc...

I feel it should be the responsibility of the Judges to rule on a case-by-case basis on what is abuse and what is not instead of a blanket rules-change.

Remove ads