Fix for Boost

Rystil Arden

First Post
hero4hire said:
Well to get back on track.

Boost very abusable? Yes definitely. So is Improved Critical, Putting Power Feats into Alternate Powers, Autofire, Alternate Saves, etc...

I feel it should be the responsibility of the Judges to rule on a case-by-case basis on what is abuse and what is not instead of a blanket rules-change.
As I've said a few times, I think it is an effect argument that any case of Boost as an Alternate Power with Slow Fade is abusive--and even without Slow Fade that character can be claiming to continually boost all day long unless otherwise specified, so really, it would be difficult to make a nonabusive build with Boost as an alternate power.

Other instances of Boost should be ruled on a case-by-case basis, but I think we should make the blanket statement Bront suggested a while back: ALLOW Boost as an alternate power, but make it instantly fade when you switch to any other power in the array. Why allow this? It lets you make a character like the Hulk who can gain Super-Strength but loses all the other powers during that time. If he wanted to activate his alternate Bruce Banner powers, he would have to switch off Boost and lose the strength.

Bront

The man with the probe
Yeah, I'm leaning more towards a case by case basis.

Anything that I thought was too abusive, I put in discussion. Boost has been talked about before.

With H4H and I doing approvals now, that will help get a fresh set of eyes on it.

Salix

First Post
It sounds like both you and H4H think having a permanant rule is not needed. If that's the case I'd vote no, but it would be nice to hot link this discussion in the character creation thread so new players see the line of thinking on boost.

Hand of Vecna

First Post
If I may offer a suggestion on how to limit how abusive Boost (or Drain) can be, simply limit the number of times Slow Fade can be taken to 2, same as the limit on the Progression Power Feat for Duplicate/Summon (no more than 2 instances of it). (That limit's still in effect, right?)

hero4hire

Explorer
Hand of Vecna said:
If I may offer a suggestion on how to limit how abusive Boost (or Drain) can be, simply limit the number of times Slow Fade can be taken to 2, same as the limit on the Progression Power Feat for Duplicate/Summon (no more than 2 instances of it). (That limit's still in effect, right?)

Yeah generally its when Slow Fade comes into the equation it gets abusive.

Hand of Vecna

First Post
Well, then, there ya go, just limit the number of times you can take Slow Fade for it.

I would suggest banning Total Fade, too, just like how Heroic was banned from Duplicate/Summon... but then you couldn't do any Ultraman-like builds ;)

Remove ads