Star Trek Races

I'm pretty sure that's not from any canonical source.

The only canonical mention of the Gorn after TOS "Arena":

A passing mention of Gorn pirates in the ENT episode "Bound"

A Gorn slavemaster working for the Tholians in the Mirror-universe episode ENT "In A Mirror, Darkly, Part II"

The DS9 episodes "Family Business" and "Way of the Warrior" mentioned in passing that the conflict with the Gorn was over and Cestus III was Federation territory now. That may be what you are thinking, but Cestus III was never the Gorn homeworld, just a colony world claimed by the Gorn and the USP.

An appearance in a non-canon animated episode "The Time Trap".

Apparently a Gorn was made for the 2009 Star Trek movie for the Rura Penthe scene that was cut from the final version.

Gorn - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki Memory Alpha is your friend for things like this.
Thanks - my problem with "canon" of Star Trek is that there was so much stuff that TNG, and then ENT (What a hack job that was) butchered - and I've never liked the fact that TAS is considered non-canonical. It had all the actors, writers and producers of TOS but just in animated form. But I digress. I also thought FASA was handed a raw deal too, but I didn't own the licenses, so, you know.... :)

Thanks - my problem with "canon" of Star Trek is that there was so much stuff that TNG, and then ENT (What a hack job that was) butchered - and I've never liked the fact that TAS is considered non-canonical. It had all the actors, writers and producers of TOS but just in animated form. But I digress. I also thought FASA was handed a raw deal too, but I didn't own the licenses, so, you know.... :)

I wouldn't say that TNG butchered anything.

Yes, after TOS and TAS, lots of novels wrote lots of things, FASA made their RPG. A lot of what was made was awful. To expect Gene Roddenberry (notorious egomaniac, there I said it) to accept the huge volume of (often contradictory) information produced would be asking the impossible.

I used to read Trek novels, but they were not even internally consistent among themselves. On rare occasion, the events in one would reference another (like the idea in "The Lost Years" that Kirk was offered the Admiralty as a public relations ploy after the Rittenhouse incident in "Dreadnought"). All those materials were fun, but internal consistency was often minimal.

Other novels introduced huge WTF moments into Trek if they were canon, like Prime Directive, which has Kirk et al. Dishonorably Discharged from Starfleet and publically shamed in the Federation press for the genocide of an innocent planet, the Enterprise-1701 crippled and mauled, and introduces an invincible planet-sized world-eater that is older than the big bang and at the end has Kirk et al. reinstated, parts meant to build a whole new Constitution class ship used to completely rebuild Enterprise (less than a year before the end of the 5-year-mission and the complete rebuild at that point), and somehow in the space of a few months James T. Kirk goes from being a name on the order of a war criminal, with him having to live under an assumed name and work odd jobs (and flee in the middle of the night when his civilian co-workers find out who he is), to a celebrated starship captain being promoted to Admiral.

Basically, there was an elaborate fan-canon "fanon" created starting with the Franz Joseph blueprints and technical manuals, and there was some retconning of things that may have been assumed (pages from the Star Fleet Technical Manual were used as bridge graphics in Star Trek II and Star Trek III), but those graphics were probably inserted by production people who didn't write the scripts or produce the films.

Most of the FASA trek stuff was before my time, I only got their TNG supplements, which, truth be told, were pretty strange, like saying the Enterprise-D could travel at 100,000 C and go across the galaxy in one year, or the seemingly arbitrary ways that just about every important technology in the TNG era was invented by a descendant of a guest star from a TOS episode, or assuming that the Enterprise-D's saucer is capable of separate warp flight and its computer core is fully sentient and must consent to the Auto Destruct sequence, that the discovery of Data plunged the Federation into chaos because children throughout the Galaxy were afraid he'd steal their mothers in the middle of the night because he doesn't have a mother (seriously, they have a transcript of a Federation Council meeting discussing his discovery where they say just that), and that a Betazoid can telepathically/empathically sense the mental state of the main computer.

Tightly integrated canons like Babylon 5 and Star Wars are a newer innovation in Sci Fi fandom, an outgrowth of the horrible mish-mash of Star Trek canon, and one person overseeing things. Roddenberry did oversee Trek generally, but was "promoted upstairs" at various points by Paramount to keep him out of the creative loop after the relative fizzle of Star Trek: TMP and the first season of TNG, and the changing of who was running things meant that things were prone to change without notice. At least in Star Wars, George Lucas has been in control from the beginning, and as soon as people started to want to write spin-off novels and materials after the first 3 movies were out, they made an active effort to coordinate everything (most famously, Timothy Zahn was shipped a box of West End Games d6 Star Wars RPG materials and told to coordinate with them). In Babylon 5, you have the very hands-on (some would say micromanaging) JMS on top of everything with a world planned out in intricate detail over centuries.

Trek never had total consistency, not even at the start. Original production memos and notes showed that it was originally supposed to be an anthology series like Outer Limits or Twilight Zone, with a starship as a framing device to cut costs with some recurring sets and characters, and if you think about it, a lot of TOS episodes are essentially an anthology episode seen through the lens of a visiting ship.

For the purposes of gaming, I just set up one consistent canon (and if it violates official canon in places, so be it, as long as it's consistent within the game). To help players, I typically write up a brief guide that states any extensions/extrapolations or any materials I am ignoring, to make sure we're all on the same page here.

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
The makers of Star Fleet Battles now have d20 Prime Directive setting for the SFB universe.

There are three books, the main one for the Federation, one for Klingons, and one for Romulans.

I wouldn't say that TNG butchered anything...<SNIP>... the same page here.
True enough. Actually, there is one thing that was not publicly known and was later chalked up to FASA's messing with the timeline.

GR authorized all of that and got pissed off when they "leaked" information with release of their sourcebook. Maybe you remember (or not cause the Okuda's started a smear campaign that ultimately killed FASA as accompany) but in the first few episodes of TNG they mentioned that the Ent-D was running on Trilithium - a self-repairing dilithium substitute, but later mysteriously they are looking for dilithium again which is from then on all that is referenced?

Originally the saucer section was supposed to be capable of separate faster than light speed flight, and the engines were supposed to Trans-warp (which is where the astronomically large numbers came from, in the FASA TNG sourcebook.)

Now, supposedly, once the sourcebook hit and GR had his meltdown about it, all the stuff that was mentioned in the sourcebook was whole sale cut from canon, regardless of the source. Of course, a lot of that whole hairy was just nasty and vicious poo flinging brought about by a bunch of mad monkeys. :)

True enough. Actually, there is one thing that was not publicly known and was later chalked up to FASA's messing with the timeline.

GR authorized all of that and got pissed off when they "leaked" information with release of their sourcebook. Maybe you remember (or not cause the Okuda's started a smear campaign that ultimately killed FASA as accompany) but in the first few episodes of TNG they mentioned that the Ent-D was running on Trilithium - a self-repairing dilithium substitute, but later mysteriously they are looking for dilithium again which is from then on all that is referenced?

Originally the saucer section was supposed to be capable of separate faster than light speed flight, and the engines were supposed to Trans-warp (which is where the astronomically large numbers came from, in the FASA TNG sourcebook.)

Now, supposedly, once the sourcebook hit and GR had his meltdown about it, all the stuff that was mentioned in the sourcebook was whole sale cut from canon, regardless of the source. Of course, a lot of that whole hairy was just nasty and vicious poo flinging brought about by a bunch of mad monkeys. :)
I'm a pretty knowledgeable Trek geek, and I've never heard any of that, especially accusing Michael Okuda of a smear campaign that destroyed a company.

Also, I'm about 99.9% sure they never mentioned Trilithium before the 6th season TNG episode "Starship Mine", and that was as a toxic waste produced by the warp drive, not a dilithium replacement. Do you have a specific on-screen source for any earlier mention of trilithium, especially as a dilithium replacement

Now, in the original TNG writers guide, they did say that dilithium could be easily synthesized in the 24th century so running out of dilithium should never be used as a plot point for TNG (in fact the 1st season TNG episode "Conspiracy" featured an abandoned privately-owned dilithium mine at one scene, meaning dilithium mining was no longer profitable or the mine was exhausted). Given this writers guide was produced only 1 year after Star Trek IV was made (set almost a century earlier), which had Spock & Scotty invent a way to replenish depleted dilithium, it made sense.

I'm a pretty knowledgeable Trek geek, and I've never heard any of that, especially accusing Michael Okuda of a smear campaign that destroyed a company.

Also, I'm about 99.9% sure they never mentioned Trilithium before the 6th season TNG episode "Starship Mine", and that was as a toxic waste produced by the warp drive, not a dilithium replacement. Do you have a specific on-screen source for any earlier mention of trilithium, especially as a dilithium replacement

Now, in the original TNG writers guide, they did say that dilithium could be easily synthesized in the 24th century so running out of dilithium should never be used as a plot point for TNG (in fact the 1st season TNG episode "Conspiracy" featured an abandoned privately-owned dilithium mine at one scene, meaning dilithium mining was no longer profitable or the mine was exhausted). Given this writers guide was produced only 1 year after Star Trek IV was made (set almost a century earlier), which had Spock & Scotty invent a way to replenish depleted dilithium, it made sense.
Your reference is spot on, that is trilithium, or at least it was, even the authorized toy line by Playmates had the info on the blister cards (I have one some where, but for the life of me I don't know where). But it later changed as the writer's got sloppy on following up details. Meh, it's Hollywood, what are you gonna do?

"Smear" campaign was probably a little harsh on my part, but the Okuda's did say some pretty nasty things about FASA's handling of the histories (even though up to that point they had been given free reign to fill in the blanks). This was one of the things that caused Trek fans to lash out at FASA in various newsgroups and bulletin boards, and yes that led to FASA eventually folding, along with the Paramount/Roddenberry lawsuits. Popular opinion turned against them and they never really recovered. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm completely spot on on my history, but there was a lot of "glossed over" nastiness.

I have loved Trek in all of its forms except Enterprise. If it were up to me everything else would be canon and THAT PoS would be out the window, but, I don't hold the licenses, the producer's seat or the power to change it. No biggie. (BTW there were some very good episode of ENT and the actors did a fine job, but there was just so much .... inconsistency it just got annoying to me, I stopped watching during the last two seasons, and for me, THAT WAS a big deal. ;)

Live Long and Prosper....
Peace and Long Life.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases