Ptolus: The Legend of Longcoat

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Sure. You don't get any benefit from it until you can cast spells, but that's certainly something you're allowed to do.

Done. Thanks. Just couldn't see waiting until 3rd level for that next feat before picking up Combat Casting. Better to have it lined up now, beforehand, so that it's immediately available when Bill discovers his ability.

dog45

First Post
Im almost done with my character. Got a question though. I want him to have a sword/cane, like John Steeds in the Avengers. But instead of an umbrella, its a cane. With a mermaid figure as the handle. anyway.

I figure the sword would be mechanically identical to a rapier. So would you require a EWP feat to wield it?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
dog45 said:
Im almost done with my character. Got a question though. I want him to have a sword/cane, like John Steeds in the Avengers. But instead of an umbrella, its a cane. With a mermaid figure as the handle. anyway.

I figure the sword would be mechanically identical to a rapier. So would you require a EWP feat to wield it?
Nah. That's the sort of thing that living in a metropolis would make available. A walking stick scabbard is no big deal, unless it's a disguised sword as a result (not all sword canes in real life are exactly subtle), in which case we'll have to up the price a tiny bit.

dog45

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Nah. That's the sort of thing that living in a metropolis would make available. A walking stick scabbard is no big deal, unless it's a disguised sword as a result (not all sword canes in real life are exactly subtle), in which case we'll have to up the price a tiny bit.

Cool. It is a disguised sword, and I saved most of his cash for just an occasion. whats the damage?

dog45

First Post
Character Sheet:

[sblock=stat block]

Grant - "Listen friend, it's not my fault if your lady prefers the attentions of a real man."
Medium Human Rogue 1
AL True Neutral
Hit Dice: 1d6+1 (7 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft
Armor Class: 15(+2 Dex,+3 Armor) touch 12, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+0
Attack: Sword/Cane +2 melee (1d6 /18-20) or dagger +2 ranged (1d4 /19-20)

Special Attacks: Sneak Attack +1d6
Special Qualities: Trapfinding
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +0
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills: (all max ranks) Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Disable Device +5, Gather Information +6, Intimidate +6, Knowledge (local) +5, Open Lock +6, Search +5, Sleight of Hand +9, Use Magic Device +6
Feats: Skill Focus (Sleight of Hand), Weapon Finesse
Languages: Common, Thieves Cant

[/sblock]

[sblock=Appearnce]

Grant is a full 5'11" when he stands up straight, which isn't often. His dirty brown hair is slicked back underneath a tweed cap. His suspenders hang down around his legs, so his pinstripe pants are held up by a black leather belt with brass knuckles as a buckle. He's got a matching vest to his pants, and wears a collared shirt with his sleeves rolled up.

When it's cold or raining out, he's got a heavy brown leather cloak he wears. And he's never without his cane, with its mermaid figure handle. He calls his cane 'Medda'. When he knows he's going to fight, he's got a suit of studded leather that he wears, but otherwise goes without.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Personality]

Grant watches all that happens with a sly smile. He's cocky and confident, but not brash. He's only 19 but has seen most of what life can offer. Life is cheap in the Warrens and everything has a price. If you need something - or someone - he can find it for you. What comes his way he takes and doesn't worry about what he hasn't got. Anything he needs he knows how to get or steal.

He considers himself a ladies man, and many of the special lady friends he has would agree. Never one to stay tied down, he doesn't stay with any one for very long but is careful not to scorne them.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]

Born to a prostitute named Shai in a brothel in the Warrens, Grant's father was a sailor that his mother never saw again. Growing up with in a house of ill repute didn't offer many opportunities, so he spent his youth with gangs of boys like him. He learned how to steal and fight from running with the gangs, and learned a smooth tongue from the working girls he lived around.

As his mother got older, she quit turning tricks and started tending bar at her madams house. A lot of the girls that Grant grew up with are now working themselves. He takes care to make sure that no one hurts them, as he tried to protect his mother when he was younger. One girl in particular he protects, a girl his own age named Clara. They were best friends growing up, and he considers her his sister. Last year a sailor got out of hand with Clara, and they found his body the next day strung up and cut in all manner of inventive ways.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Equipment]

2 Daggers (hidden on self)
Sword/Cane 'Medda'
Studded Leather Armor (not worn)
Thieves Tools

[/sblock]

[sblock=Relatives/Organizations]

Grants mother Shai tends bar at the Cat's Paw, the brothel where he was conceived, born and raised. He also has a half-brother Arik that was raised by his sailor father. Arik became a sailor and still travels, but his father was killed when their ship was attacked by pirates. He comes into port every few years and makes it a point to come visit Grant and their mother.

Grant runs with the Pale Dogs, and has known most of the other members since they were kids. The rumors of their affliation with the Vai don't bother him. Life has taught him that sometimes people need to die.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Special Contacts/Hooks]

Ideas for contacts - Pale Dogs, guards/girls at brothels in the Warren, Arik

Hooks - Clara or Arik could be some of Jacks recent victims.

[/sblock]

Pitchwife

First Post
Am I being a dork, waiting for the character sheet he's posting? *newbie doofus look*

Re: charisma, I'm planning to post a paladin with a 14-ish CHA. Dunno if I'll be in the GAME ;) but I'll be posting the character.

~ Pitchwife

Lina
Half-Elf Bard 1
Chaotic Good

Str 8
Dex 12
Con 10
Int 14
Wis 8
Cha 17

Skills: Perform (sing), Gather Information, Diplomacy, Sense Motive, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (history), Use Magic Device, Spellcraft.

Feats: Investigator (+2 Gather Info and Search).

Spells: Lullaby, Prestidigitation, Light, Detect Magic.

Equipment: Sling. Light armor.

Lina isn't a native of Ptolus. Following Councillor Segaci's return to Tarsis after that city's sacking, Lina left her court apprenticeship to travel to Ptolus, where she sought employment in environs familiar to her old domain in Tarsis. Now a nanny for House Kath in the noble quarter on the terraces underneath the Spire, Lina sings nursery songs to the House's little ones and instructs the children of the House in melody. In her off hours, Lina frequents the city in search of new tales to tell and songs to sing to her charges. Finding music appropriate for small children isn't an easy task in dark Ptolus, however, so Lina ranges far and wide in the city.

Whilst being out later than normal a month ago, Lina was attacked down at the docks. Hoping for new material and always one to enjoy the song of water lapping at shore, much like her Shoal elf father, Lina'd gone down to the docks to listen in on the songs of foreign sailors newly arrived to port. A beautiful maid with long silken hair, Lina found herself taken in a dark alley by a stranger. Having narrowly escaped death, Lina returned to her employer's home in the upper reaches of the city thoroughly shaken. Whether or not her attacker is the same individual as the one killing prostitutes these last weeks, Lina finds herself drawn to the crime scenes. She cannot help herself and of late oft neglects her duties as nanny, eschewing the safe life of the noble quarter in favor of the rougher alleys and byways down by the docks. Hoping to locate the killer and filled with unhealthy curiousity, Lina spends considerable time in bars and taverns questioning those who frequent such establishments. Despite being a patron of the arts and prone to excusing the vagaries of artists, House Kath is growing increasingly tired of Lina's frequent absences and intends to fire her, leaving Lina to her own devices on the streets of Ptolus.

Last edited:

Remove ads