Ptolus: The Legend of Longcoat

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Sorry, my work deadline is at the end of the week, so I haven't had a chance to post the simplified character sheet. Post what you've got and it all can be adapted later, as was suggested.

Not owning the Ptolus book, I was wondering if there are any "ladies'" weapons in the sourcebook. I'm looking for something appropriate for Lina to wield. She needs a ranged weapon and the only thing that seems a little bit like something she'd use from the PHB is perhaps the sling, which she might have picked up from hanging around House Kath's children.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
No, the only things in the Big Book I can think of are the guns. (Rapiers are always very urban and sophisticated in a skewer-you-in-a-brawl-by-the-fountain-under-your-cousin's-arm sort of way, but that's not a ranged weapon.) Every city until modern times had sling-twirling hooligans, though.

Thanks for looking. I'll probably stick with the sling, then. It goes along with her having spent time with the kids that she's a nanny to. Could maybe also do a shortbow, but then I feel I'd need to include a tidbit in her background about how she became proficient with a weapon like that. Will see.

Pitchwife

First Post
Character Sheet: Jarem Thurinor

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Sorry, my work deadline is at the end of the week, so I haven't had a chance to post the simplified character sheet. Post what you've got and it all can be adapted later, as was suggested.

Okie-doke, then here goes. Caveat: statted up at work, from online SRD plus google for some questions, so apologies if something is off. Looks about right, though.

Name: Jarem Thurinor
Race: Human - Prustan background
Class: Paladin of Lothian
Alignment: Lawful Awesome
Level: 1

Str: 14
Dex: 10
Con: 11
Int: 12
Wis: 12
Cha: 14

HP: 10
AC: 16 [chain shirt, heavy wooden shield] or 14 [chain shirt]

FOR: +2
REF: +0
WIL: +1

FEATS

Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword
Weapon Focus: Bastard Sword

SKILLS (only listing ranked skills for now, others have no decisions involved so...)

Diplomacy 6 (ranks: 4)
Handle Animal: 3 (ranks: 1)
Knowledge: Religion 5 (ranks: 4)
Profession: Fishmonger 4 (ranks: 3)
Sense Motive: 5 (ranks:4)

COMBAT

Bastard Sword 1d20+4 to hit, 1d10+2 (one-handed) or 1d10+3 (two-handed) damage
Sling 1d20+1 to hit, 1d4+2 damage

EQ of note/cost:

100 chain shirt
35 bastard sword
7 heavy wooden shield
.2 20 sling bullets

ABILITIES

detect evil (at will)
smite evil 1/day
chicken dance (at weddings)

BACKGROUND (the down-and-dirty, non-novel-writing approach)

Jarem is a child of the Warrens and the Docks, his family living in the Warrens, scraping out an existence as fishmongers on the piers. Like half the city, his family worships Lothian; unlike most people (including his family), Jarem truly loves and reveres Ptolus's principle diety. Jarem was a sensitive boy growing up, avoiding the fighting and gang hooliganism that runs rampant in his neighborhood. Ironically, as he moved through puberty it became apparent to the priest of his usual chapel that he had, if nothing else, a physical aptitude for combat. Combined with his intuitive grasp of religion, he was an obvious candidate for at least a role in the Church's Guard. In time, his passion for the faith moved him through the ranks and he finds himself recently consecrated as a true Paladin of Lothian.

Jarem is not a brow-beater, at least yet. :p He comes to his faith as a true believer, but out of a mixture of love of diety and study of tenant, and he wishes to share his joy in Lothian with everyone. He also recognizes, of course, that the enemies of Right are numerous and pervasive. In combat he is mostly resigned to the necessity of dealing with miscreants, but he loses this composure when facing dire evil. He maintains contact with both his family and childhood friends, which leavens what people think of as "normal" paladin behavior. He regrets his family's casual familiarity with the day-to-day ugliness of the Warrens and the Docks, and he speaks to his friends of changing their ways rather than abandoning them.

Quick Touchstone: Think roughly of a composite-aged Sam Vimes, with the older version's sense of righteousness but the younger's naivete.

Why He's involved: These are his people. The Watch may not care, the upper reaches of the Church Hierarchy may take no heed, but Jarem does. His family hasn't been harmed, nor have his friends, but his community has been. Lothian wants him to intercede, he's certain - why else would he make himself so clear in Jarem's mind? Why else would scum from the Docks have it within himself to be Paladin?

Hit me with any questions you may have. :D

~ Pitchwife

Last edited:

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Okay, here goes. I am probably going to do an alternate, too, but for now- here's Vanden.

[EDIT- All done. Not too much equipment to get; wow, I never realized how little starting gold monks get! Also, I swapped Int and Wis scores, based on how I see the character developing past 1st level.]

Vanden
Male Human Monk1
AL Lawful Good
HD 1d8+1 (9 hp)
Initiative +1
Spd 30 ft
AC 12 (+1 Dex, +1 Wis), touch 12, flat-footed 11
Base Atk/Grapple +0/+0
Full Atk +0 One-handed (1d6;20/x2, Unarmed Strike)
-2/-2 One-handed, Flurry of Blows (1d6;20/x2, Unarmed Strike)
SA Flurry of Blows, Stunning Fist
SQ AC Bonus (add Wisdom bonus to AC)
SV Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +3
Str 10, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Balance +3, Diplomacy +11, Escape Artist +3, Hide +2, Knowledge (local) +2, Knowledge (religion) +3, Listen +3, Move Silently +2, Sense Motive +6, Spot +2, Swim +2, Tumble +3.
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike (monk bonus), Stunning Fist (monk bonus), Negotiator, Skill Focus (Diplomacy)
Languages: Common, Elf

Stunning Fist: Fort DC 11, 1/day

Equipment:
Monk's outfit
Waterskin
Scroll case
Parchment (5 sheets)
Chalk, black (5 pieces)
Belt pouch
Candle (x3)
Tindertwig (x2)

Total Encumbrance: 5 lbs.
Money: 1gp, 4sp, 2 cp

Appearance:
Vanden is of average height, and slim of build, though well toned through long hours of ascetic exercises. His brown hair is tonsured, and his simple dark robes match his dark brown eyes. Though his normally serene and welcoming expression is lately tinged with worry, he yet moves with a calm fluidity and grace.

Background:
One of many children of a poor family from the Warrens, Vanden was sold to the order of the Sisterhood of Silence as a young boy. There, he was indoctrinated as a eunuch, and trained in the arts of diplomacy and monasticism of the order, that he might serve as a voice to the Sisters. Vanden proved quite adept, and showed much promise as a diplomat.

The normally studious and austere monk was quite shaken when, recently, his assigned Sister was slain by the Longcoat killer. He blames himself for being absent in her time of need. Though the Sisterhood has vowed to find the murderer, Vanden does not feel they are doing enough, and has set out on his own to bring Longcoat to justice once and for all.

Last edited:

bissichan

First Post
Ok, here's my prospective character's sheet.

Faen Argen Lores Woodcarver
[sblock]
Code:
Name: Faen Argen Lores Woodcarver "Faen, if you please.")
Class: Rogue  1 	
Race: Gnome
Region of Origin: Faen used to work on the docks. Union's been on strike, he's down on his luck, it's tough.
Size: S
Alignment: NG
Deity: Garl Glittergold

Str: 10 +0 (04p.)	Level: 1	XP: 0
Dex: 14 +2 (06p.)	BAB: +0		HP: 08 (1d6+2)
Con: 14 +2 (04p.)	Grapple: -4	
Int: 12 +1 (04p.)	Speed: 20'	
Wis: 12 +11 (04p.)	Init: +2	
Cha: 11 +0 (03p.)	ACP: 0		

Base	Armor	Shld	Dex	Size	Nat	Misc	Total
Armor:	10	+2	+0	+2	+1	+0	+0	15
Touch:	13	Flatfooted: 13

Total	Base	Mod	Misc
Fort:	+2	+0	+2	--
Ref:	+4	+2	+2	--
Will:	+1	+0	+1	--

Weapon			Attack	Damage	Critical	Range
Crossbow light + bolts	+3	1d8	x2	80'
Morningstar		+1	1d8	x2	
Sap        		-3	1d6	x2	
Notes: 20 bolts

Languages: Common, gnome, dwarven.

Abilities: 
Gnome: 
Low Light Vision.
+1 attack vs kobolds and goblinoids
+4 dodge vs giants
1/day 'speak with animals' as level 1 caster
1/day - dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation (int 10+ required)
+1 extra save vs. gnomish illusions

Rogue:
Proficient with cutlass.
Sneak attack +1d6
Trapfinding.
Light Armor Proficiency.

Feats:  Nimble Fingers. 

Skill Points: 36	Max Ranks: 4/2
Skills		Total	Ranks	Mod 	Misc
Climb		2	2	0-	-
Disable Device	+7	6	+1	--
Escape Artist	+4	2	+2	--
Hide		+6	4	+2	--
Listen		+7	6	+1	-- 
Move Silently	+6	4	+2	--
Open Lock	+8	6	+2	--
Search		+5	4	+1	--
Sleigh of Hand	+4	2	+2	--
Spot		+4	3	+1	--
Tumble		+4	2	+2	--
Use Rope 	+3	1	+2	--
Craft (Alchemy)	 +3	2	+1	--

Notes: 

Equipment:		Cost	Weight
Crossbow Light		35gp	4lb
Sap         		1gp	2lb
Morningstar		8gp	6lb
Explorer's outfit	10gp	4lb

Backpack		2gp	2lb
Waterskin		1gp	4lb
Rations (3 days)	1.5gp	1.5lb
Flint & Steel		1gp	*
Ammo Pouch		1gp	1lb
Thieves tools		30gp	1lb
Leather Armor		10gp	15lb        
Grapling hook		1gp	4lb

Total Weight:	44lb	Money: 22gp 04sp 0cp

Lgt	Med	Hvy	Lift	Push
Max Weight:	1-25lb.  26-50lb.  51-75lb.   150lb.     150lb. 
Height: 3'11" 
Weight: 40lbs
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Skin: Pale
[/sblock]
Background
[sblock]Faen Argen Lores Woodcarver has been a happy-go-lucky gnome. He's entirely unconcerned with what tomorrow may bring, as long as there's some adventure to be had. He's a Ptolusian born and raised and he's spent quite a few years roaming through her streets, working oddjobs to support himself.. Despite the fact that gnomes are rare in Ptolus, he's doesnt' like to socialize with his bretheren. He thinks gnomes are too curious and too interested in technology for his liking.

He used to run errands for a few merchants in the South Market and there's where he discovered he had a knack for walking around unnoticed (not too hard when you're barely an apple-crate tall) and an even better knack for opening things that he wasn't supposed to open (those being boxes, drawers and chests -of treasure and of females: he likes them both just fine).

A few months ago, Faen lost his job (stupid masterwork lock!) and went to the only place in Ptolus he had not been before: the docks. Plenty of work, plenty of females and some cheap lodgings made him one happy gnome. One of his first friends was Coraithe Whitetree and she was one fine woman.

That Longcoat bastard has made an enemy for the remainder of his decidedly short life.

[/sblock]
Appearance
[sblock]
Faen is an average-heighted gnome. He carries himself with a cat's certainty and he keeps his eyes and ears sharp and attentive, his brown hair in a slender ponytail and his lean frame under a nondescript cloak. He tries not to call too much attention to him. His inquisitive eyes are always searching for the next challenge: can he sneak past those guards? Can he open that reinforced door? Will he be able to detect the hidden door in the jeweler's room before he returns from lunch? Can he go in, sneak out and take whatever he wants before he's caught?

No one but Garl Glittergold knows and, like always, it's a hoot to find out if he can.[/sblock]

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Yikes!

Well, that's officially the first eunuch character I've seen posted on these boards. :D

Yeah- so many concepts had already come that were similar to other ideas I had, that I went back through the Ptolus Player's Guide for some ideas. When I saw that bit about the Sisterhood, I said- there's a concept you don't see every day. :)

Remove ads