stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

James Heard

Explorer
Janis looks at Khensu oddly.

"You cannot?" she asks, looking around obviously struck by the disharmony of the evidence and the knight's incredulity.

GwydapLlew

First Post
James Heard said:
"You cannot?" she asks, looking around obviously struck by the disharmony of the evidence and the knight's incredulity.

"Indeed. I cannot imagine that this is a regular occurrence. Surely some evil power is at work here. Let us search the village for any survivors. They will be able to better inform us of what has happened here."

drothgery

First Post
GwydapLlew said:
Seeing the conflict cease, Sir Khensu drops to one knee and quickly murmurs a thanks to the Silver Flame for their victory. The shifter stands then, a mournful look upon his face.

"My friends, I am afraid we must uncover what has happened here. I cannot imagine a village so removed from civilization that they allow the undead to walk the streets freely."

"I would not be confident of that." The elf said. "Karrnath, until very recently, did just that."

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Now that the rush of combat has ended, Jarrith sinks to his knees and drops his head to his chest. The fiery pain of disease continues to flash through his arm, and his stomach continues doing somersaults within him. "Regardless of whether these things are a natural occurance or not... ugh..." He stop his sentence mid-thought and then lies backwards on the hard ground in hopes of getting over this delirium. He takes a few slow breaths and then continues. "It doesn't change the fact that the theoretical burgomaster of this town sent out a letter for help. Let's go find this man... if he even exists... and find out what's truly going on."

James Heard

Explorer
"I would think that what is going on, at least in the basic sense, were fairly apparent," Janis says, kicking at a charred and horrific-looking corpse at her feet with one leather-clad toe.

"There are walking dead here, and the sort who do less farm work than attack wayfaring strangers. More might be present inside the buildings. I recommend we fire them, and be prepared for whatever attempts to flee. Villagers will have either attempted to find a central location of stronghold, or else taken to the hills. Judging from the superstitions I've noted in the past with peasants, they'll have avoided the hill hereabouts because of the weather right now," she concludes.

Our perceived righteousness has become our undoing, as our enemies plot for it as an expectation of response, she thought. Next we shall have fluttery-eyed maidens begging for aid and children with cookies asking for us to enter the maws of bears, she sighed unhappily, looking at the trio of paladins. Why can't they all be more like the Karnnathian, she thought, looking fondly over at the priestess of Vol.

Methodically, Janis walks around to each corpse and plops a generous dollop of acid globule on top of each corpse's face, then begins rifling through any belongings they might possess.

"The dead that walk once might walk again, this way they'll in least have a harder time seeing which direction they plod... and if they have a master then perhaps they have a master's effects upon them," she explains to forestall arguments with the more righteous of her companions.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Janis said:
"There are walking dead here, and the sort who do less farm work than attack wayfaring strangers. More might be present inside the buildings. I recommend we fire them, and be prepared for whatever attempts to flee."
Jarrith raises his head and throws a quizzical but amused look over at Janis. "My goodness! Did you really just suggest we set fire to all the buildings here in town?" he says in bemused but faux-shock. He raises himself back to a sitting position and snickers a bit at the mage's suggestion. "Are you sure you aren't a devotee of the Flame after all, my dear? That methodology sounds downright Inquisitorial! There are a number of my brothers who would find that the ends would more than justify the means you just suggested! Well done!"

He knows that even suggesting for a second that Janis Stormhand's actions might be aligned with the Silver Flame's would probably really gall the mage. Still, he can't help but chuckle to himself about the idea. "As much as many of my forefathers within the church would welcome putting an entire town to the torch to root out the one or two evil creatures within... I myself do not think we have the manpower to pull something like that off on such a grand scale. Might I suggest a compromise, Miss Janis? Why don't we go search the town first... and then IF we find a building or two with these foul beasts inside... we consider just burning those lone ones by themselves? I'd hate to accidentally burn a building down that actually held scared and defensless people within it. Wouldn't you agree?"

His fever still burning within him, Jarrith gets his feet up under him and rolls back to a standing position. "Shall we continue the search?"

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
There is a sickening sizzle as the mage goes about her work, and the rank oder of fluid flesh soon follows. As she goes about her task, the viper about her necks flicks its tongue at the scents. Her methodical efforts, however, turn up little---a wooden fork, a clutch of yarn. Nothing of value except to those whose corpses strew the ground.

GwydapLlew

First Post
Sir Khensu takes Luminous' reins and stands watch in the intersection. "Shall we proceed? Undead of this type rarely have the werewithal to open doors. Look for battered-down doors, doors hanging open, shattered windows."

Doomhawk

First Post
Selase kneels beside Jarrith and puts two fingers to his throat, measuring his pulse. "I would like to examine these bodies first," she says while pulling Jarrith's eyelid up. "The undead have to be dead first, and if we can find the cause of death, it might give us a clue as to what caused this." She lets go of Jarrith's head to dab his wounds with a cloth that she soaks in something stinging. "Assuming we haven't, erm, destroyed the evidence..." (Heal check at +15 to see what's affecting Jarrith, and another to determine what killed the villagers, if possible.)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Sir Khensu said:
"Shall we proceed? Undead of this type rarely have the werewithal to open doors. Look for battered-down doors, doors hanging open, shattered windows."
"On it." says Jarrith... who silently pads out in front of the group on foot. He moves swiftly and quietly forward down the street, his eyes trying to catch anything and everything. As he passes the upturned cart, he tosses a quick glance into it, on the off-chance the zombies were huddled over something interesting. If he sots nothing, he continues forward.

Remove ads