stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. I [IC]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Though anxious to go, Jarrith is held back by a stern look from Selase, as she examines him. His pulse is erratic, the flesh alternately fevered warm or ice cold. There is a black tint to the tongue that does not look correct either. All the signs point to a non-natural source, but the only mark on Jarrith is the wound from the wizened zombie.

Starting with that zombie and moving outward, Selase finds similar marks. All of the now-dead bear scratches and abrasions caused by the flailing and tearing of human limbs. Selase manages to examine the head of one before Jannis completes her grim work to find similar signs to the Stalker as well---a blackened tongue.

The zombies are definitely carrying the disease, whatever it is. And it is spreading.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Jarrith, finally free of Selase's ministrations, takes a look at the intersection. The bulk of town lies to the west, along the Slavich road. The houses in all directions appear lifeless and lightless in the growing dusk. Most of the doors in the buildings surrounding the intersection are closed, obvious signs of scratch marks upon them once the desire to look for them is known. At a glance, two of the doors are open, revealing empty homes full with the shattered lives that they once held. Another house has a smashed in door. It appears empty from the street.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jarrith raises one of his silver rapiers in order to look at his own reflection in the pommel. He opens his mouth and sticks his tongue out. "Ahhhhhhh... ugh!" When he sees the blackness beginning to form on it, he quickly closes his mouth and looks around at his fellows. His eyebrows raise in a kind of "oooh boy, I've had it now!" gesture... and he glances down as Selase checks the zombies as well. When he sees that they have the same marking and blackened tongue as he does, he throws a look to Sir Khensu.

"Got myself in a bit of a sticky wicket, it looks like. Just my luck... I catch this... whatever it is... and you once again get away scot free. I guess the Voice of the Flame just loves you more than she does me, eh my friend?" He laughs at his own joke, but it soon turns into coughs as the disease takes more hold. His body convulses once in a full-body shiver, then he takes off down the street to continue their search. But before going to far, he remembers his manners and throw a call over his shoulder to the priestess. "Thanks for check up, Selase. Hopefully I won't go all nutty like these others did."

GwydapLlew

First Post
Sir Khensu smiles kindly and says, "Have faith, Jarrith. The Silver Flame will cleanse you in time."

He points towards to each of the houses that have been opened. "I say we investigate these homes first before moving on."

Doomhawk

First Post
"I agree, Sir Khensu. We need to find out more about what is happening here before we can act," says Selase, with a pointed look at Janis. Already walking toward the nearest open door, she murmurs with a suppressed grin, "Don't worry, Jarrith, you won't be crazy... like they are."

James Heard

Explorer
"We shall prevent you from turning against us, and send flowers to your parents, should the illness progress to that point."

Turning her back, the wizard cups her hands to her mouth.

"HALLLOOOO? ANYONE AROUND? IF YE BE ALIVE IN THERE, BE ADVISED WE'RE ABOUT TO SET FIRE TO THE HOUSES!"

Janis straightened out her clothes.

"There, that should terrify anyone hiding like children under the cupboards and draw the curious dead to us besides. Look alive," she says, obviously pleased with her play on words and the prospect of not having to search out the town.

OOC: I call this the "Wizard Gather Information Roll"

James Heard

Explorer
"And now, are there any more pointed comments suggesting that I am either stupid or suicidal before I finish taking offense? Perhaps someone could evoke a better idea that doesn't us bouncing around in someone's village in this fog looking for breathing people who may or may not exist? Or in what way we were being stealthy by making battle in the streets, casting storm magics? What part of "time isn't our side" they were thinking about that makes our companion's illnesses less dire in the farther future rather than in the nearer?" Janis says dryly.

"Fortune favors the bold." she finishes coolly, lifting her chin up in a way to dismiss further comment and mirrored eerily by the tiny viper at her throat.

GwydapLlew

First Post
James Heard said:
"Fortune favors the bold." she finishes coolly, lifting her chin up in a way to dismiss further comment and mirrored eerily by the tiny viper at her throat.

"And the Flame favors those who purify," Sir Khensu states drily. "Janis, I do believe there are many within my Order who would appreciate your tactics. I would rather not call down a horde of zombies upon our heads just yet."

He cautiously approaches the nearest open door and peers inside, greataxe at the ready.

Remove ads