Paladin build help

VonRichthofen

First Post
Eb, I will spare those around to comment on all your points, most are seconded but some strike me as rather odd.
Where did you get the idea that greatsword & buckler can't be combined to make use of the Divine Shield feat?
The PHB defines the buckler as a shield, no official FAQ known to me contradicts this, WotC-boards "public view" supports this as well - I honestly don't see a reason. Maybe you could provide hard evidence supporting your view?

Apart from that, if you're in want for AC, a -1 to attack for an AC bonus of +3/+X doesn't sound so bad - it's a clear gain.

Further, where did you get the idea that Pious Templar casting could ever leave you superior to straight-class casting at very high levels? PrC's final spells are 2/2/2/1 compared to the full class' 3/3/3/3 - there ARE advantages in staying paladin after all, only your reasoning seems somewhat hard to follow. (With a Wis no greater than 19, you will have one more of each 1st & 2nd level, but will lose one of 3rd and two of 4th. Doesn't strike me as a deal. Or did you think of further PrCs?

PT has access to the full paladin spell list, however.

Only problem remaining is the favored weapon: greatsword.

Last edited:

Legildur

First Post
VonRichthofen said:
Where did you get the idea that greatsword & buckler can't be combined to make use of the Divine Shield feat?
The PHB defines the buckler as a shield, no official FAQ known to me contradicts this, WotC-boards "public view" supports this as well - I honestly don't see a reason. Maybe you could provide hard evidence supporting your view?
There is considerable doubt as to whether one can wield a greatsword and benefit from shield bonus to AC granted by a buckler - even with the Improved Buckler Defense feat. There is no argument when wielding two weapons, but the waters get muddied dealing with two-handed (and double) weapons. It has been debated several times before on these boards, without a very successful conclusion.

VonRichthofen

First Post
Legildur said:
It has been debated several times before on these boards, without a very successful conclusion.

Interesting. I was doubtful myself and put up the question at the WotC boards maybe a tenday or two ago.
The question was something along the lines of:
"Since buckler has a slightly different set of rules, can it truely be considered a shield rules-wise? (for the purpose of Divine Shield/two-handed weapon)"

Commonly held assumption seemed to be: You can combine the three of them.
People cited the PHB, I re-read the relevant passage, a FAQ research didn't gainsay it - and it seems to be generally accepted in literally scores of builds (combining Divine Shield, Improved Buckler Defense & a two-handed weapon).

Now don't get me wrong, I will not say "that forum's collective mind is right, this ones' is not" - but there seem to be at least two different "schools" of reading the rules.

I personally think it shouldn't combine, for I am an old-fashioned supporter of sword'n'board and firmly believe that two-handed weapons are easily good enough without it.

Darklone

VonRichthofen said:
I personally think it shouldn't combine, for I am an old-fashioned supporter of sword'n'board and firmly believe that two-handed weapons are easily good enough without it.
Seconded. Same IMHO for the armor spikes & greatsword TWF combination.

Another example: I don't allow animated shields in my games... why should I allow buckler&greatsword combinations?

But by a literal reading of the rules it sounds as if it's allowed. Fine by me, I agree with the player who says that and give him the "You know that your DM likes stylish weapon choices!" look.

Legildur

First Post
VonRichthofen said:
I agree with you. I can see how people can draw the conclusion that it is okay, but i don't 'feel' it is right. Otherwise, why would you EVER bother with TWF?

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
VonRichthofen said:
Eb, I will spare those around to comment on all your points, most are seconded but some strike me as rather odd.

Make that cannot be effectively combined without Improved Buckler Defense. Without Improved Buckler Defense, you lose the shield bonus when you use the arm to attack with your greatsword thus rendering Divine Shield a glorified Full Defense that isn't as good (for this character), doesn't apply to touch attacks, and costs you a feat.

Apart from that, if you're in want for AC, a -1 to attack for an AC bonus of +3/+X doesn't sound so bad - it's a clear gain.

But only if you have both divine shield AND improved buckler defense and spend a standard action to use divine shield in combat. If, like the character in question, you have one feat to improve your AC, Divine Shield is not a good deal.

Further, where did you get the idea that Pious Templar casting could ever leave you superior to straight-class casting at very high levels? PrC's final spells are 2/2/2/1 compared to the full class' 3/3/3/3 - there ARE advantages in staying paladin after all, only your reasoning seems somewhat hard to follow. (With a Wis no greater than 19, you will have one more of each 1st & 2nd level, but will lose one of 3rd and two of 4th. Doesn't strike me as a deal. Or did you think of further PrCs?

In terms of Living Greyhawk, 15th level is high level. After that, the character retires. Now, IIRC, you could take Pious Templar as your 6th level if you wanted to which would put Pious Templar 10 at 15th level. And, Pious Templar casting 2/2/2/1 is better than a 15th level paladin with 2/1/1/1. And since the paladin only just barely gets 4th level spells at 14th level, I think the Pious Templar edges him out by a level or so (again, not consulting the books). For this character, I was wrong and Pious Templar would not edge out Paladin spellcasting at any level.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
It's more likely that North Korea will give up its nukes and invite the US to monitor free elections after Kim Il Jong voluntarily assembles a jury of dissidents to try him for the artificial famines.

The alternate class features from the PHB II are a remote possibility for new characters. As for other ones--especially Dragon magazine ones that were not in Living Greyhawk Journal way back when that was a part of Dragon--a snowball has a better chance in hell.

Nightfall said:
Eb,

Do you think they'll allow him to take the Alternate class feature in Dragon 349 or not?

Darklone

VonRichthofen said:
Just an EN-noob's question, are political comments okay on these boards?
Don't think so... under Help there's the board rule section, I highlighted the political thingie.

The Basic Rules
Eric started the forums in early 2000, and at that time he established three rules: Keep it civil, keep it clean, and keep it on topic. Those rules are essentially the same rules I, the admins and the mods use today in the course of our duties.

Let's look at each one briefly (thanks to Eric for writing this!):

Keep it civil: Don't engage in personal attacks, name-calling, or blanket generalizations in your discussions. Say how you feel or what you think, but be careful about ascribing motives to the actions of others or telling others how they "should" think. People seeking to engage and discuss will find themselves asking questions, seeking clarifications, and describing their own opinion. People seeking to "win an argument" sometimes end up taking cheap shots, calling people names, and generally trying to indimidate others. My advice: don't try to win.

Keep it clean: Don't use obscenities, don't use clever tricks to run around the profanity filters, and don't link to sites with inappropriate content. The "acid test" we use is the "Grandmother Rule" -- if it would be inappropriate to say to or show to our grandmothers, don't do it. I want a typical 13 year old kid to be able to come here and participate if they want to without feeling uncomfortable. This should be a minor-friendly place. Think about it this way: how do you act around strangers or work acquaintances? You watch your language and you're on your best behavior. That's the ideal we're shooting for here.

Keep it on topic: Ok, so it's not that we actually forbid off-topic conversation. But keep in mind that this is a D&D and D20 site, with many sub-forums on lots of related topics. Try to put your posts in the right forums (it helps people find stuff, for one thing); off-topic posts go in the Off Topic forum. By popular demand, off-topic polls (not posts -- polls) are forbidden. And in this category I should mention the "no religion, no politics" rule -- please refrain from discussion of a religious or political nature. This last may seem a rather draconic rule, but it has helped keep the peace around here for a long time. There are plenty of places on the internet where one could have those sorts of discussion.

I'd also like to quickly address the issue of what to do if you feel uncomfortable because of another person on these boards. I'd hate to see someone stewing over something for weeks or months, and then leaving because they feel that the moderators don't care about their problem. It is important for you to realise that with nearly one-and-a-half-million posts being made by over 32,000 members, we admins and mods can't know about everything that goes on. If you feel that there is a problem, or that someone is being mean to you or anyone else, please let a moderator know. However, please don't be offended if, in a given instance, the moderator doesn't agree with you. I can assure you that all of the moderators here do their best to be fair and frequently talk issues over. With that in mind, we do have a couple of rules when it comes to moderators, and we ask you to abide by them:

1) We appreciate that sometimes you will disagree with a moderator's decision, or feel that a request from a moderator is unfair or unjustified. With over 32,000 members, we're not going to be able to keep everyone happy all of the time, so we settle for trying to keep most people happy most of the time. Whether or not you agree with a moderator's stance, we do expect you to abide by their decisions and requests.

2) If you really, really disagree with a moderator's position on a [moderating] issue, please don't argue about it on the boards. That means no calling out of moderators, no challenging their decisions in the thread, and certainly no attempts to go over a moderator's head. The moderators all discuss such things amongst themselves, and no moderator or admin is ever going to override another. If you honestly feel that you have been treated unfairly, please contact the moderator in question privately and discuss it with them. The end result may not be the one you were seeking, but we will do our our best to be fair.

Thanks for reading! If you have a question or comment about this post, please start a thread in the Meta forum.

Remove ads