Paladin build help

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
There's also a variant class feature in Dragon 349 that allows for a paladin to have a weapon that grows with him as he levels. Now it doesn't HAVE to be your deity's weapon, but hey if you want it to be a holy quarterstaff, your call.

Legildur

First Post
green slime said:
You have a very low AC for a tank at your level.
You can say that again! A Power Attacking giant loves squishy things like this paladin.

Dodge and Combat Expertise feats are what I would usually recommend, but your stats obviously don't support that approach.

I point the finger of blame at your DM as, unless there is something missing, your character would appear to be well down on the usual wealth expected of a 128th level character (8827,000gp). Full Plate +1 (2650gp) and a Ring of Protection +1 (2000gp) leave him well short on the expected wealth. Unless he has an awesome greatsword, then no wonder your AC is so low. Even upgrading to +2 armor (additional 3000gp) and a Gloves of Dexterity +2 (4000gp) still leaves him a long way short.

A Cloak of Displacement (minor) would be a good place to start as the chances of upping your AC significantly aren't real good (unless you use a dancing shield), so miss chances are your friend.

Last edited:

VonRichthofen

First Post
Legildur said:
I point the finger of blame at your DM as, unless there is something missing, your character would appear to be well down on the usual wealth expected of a 12th level character (88,000gp).

Where did he say he was 12th level? As far as I can see, he's level 8. Suggested wealth 27.000 gp.

VonRichthofen

First Post
Krafen said:
Since you have Dwarf blood, consider Deepwarden (RoS).

Deepwarden calls for the Endurance feat and 5 ranks each in Climb, Heal, Jump, Knowledge (dungeoneering) and Survival. With 2 skill points per level, I'd call this a rather tough requirement.

Legildur

First Post
VonRichthofen said:
Where did he say he was 12th level? As far as I can see, he's level 8. Suggested wealth 27.000 gp.
:heh: Good question... And I don't know what I was thinking. Still, less than 5000gp on defensive items does not a good AC make.

AE020704

First Post
Anthraxus said:
The Shield spell would be nice to bump AC up to 24-26, except for that 35% ASF chance.

Uh...eh? Paladins cast Divine spells, and are, therefore, not subject to Arcane Spell Failure. Have I missed something?

You might want to look at either Pious Templar (cross PAL, FTR with DR) or Divine Crusader (Although that's probably better for Favoured Souls) both from Complete Divine, and both freely available to Paladins without revoking their Paladinhood. Also, the Pious Templar's Smite ability stacks with Paladin levels.

VonRichthofen

First Post
AE020704 said:
Uh...eh? Paladins cast Divine spells, and are, therefore, not subject to Arcane Spell Failure. Have I missed something?

You might want to look at either Pious Templar (cross PAL, FTR with DR) or Divine Crusader (Although that's probably better for Favoured Souls) both from Complete Divine, and both freely available to Paladins without revoking their Paladinhood. Also, the Pious Templar's Smite ability stacks with Paladin levels.

You really tell us something new here! :D

Apart from that, he was thinking about arcane caster levels to get spells such as shield.

What has Favored Soul to do with Divine Crusader? That's one of the safest bets to make a powerful class suck hardcore. Don't get it. :confused: Maybe you would care to explain?

Last edited:

Anthraxus

Explorer
VonRichthofen said:
You really tell us something new here! :D

Apart from that, he was thinking about arcane caster levels to get spells such as shield.

What has Favored Soul to do with Divine Crusader? That's one of the safest bets to make a powerful class suck hardcore. Don't get it. :confused: Maybe you would care to explain?

Like VonRichthofen said, I was pondering adding some sorcerer levels(doesn't sound like a real good idea) for the Shield spell and other defensive spells, but it doesn't look like the optimal way to do it.

Pious Templar and Divine Crusader look pretty good, and I'd probably go down one of those paths if it weren't for the requirement of having Weapon Focus in your Deity's favored weapon, and Pholtus' weapon being... Quarterstaff. :\

Can't really switch deities, mainly for roleplaying reasons.

Anthraxus

Explorer
Legildur said:
You can say that again! A Power Attacking giant loves squishy things like this paladin.

Dodge and Combat Expertise feats are what I would usually recommend, but your stats obviously don't support that approach.

I point the finger of blame at your DM as, unless there is something missing, your character would appear to be well down on the usual wealth expected of a 128th level character (8827,000gp). Full Plate +1 (2650gp) and a Ring of Protection +1 (2000gp) leave him well short on the expected wealth. Unless he has an awesome greatsword, then no wonder your AC is so low. Even upgrading to +2 armor (additional 3000gp) and a Gloves of Dexterity +2 (4000gp) still leaves him a long way short.

A Cloak of Displacement (minor) would be a good place to start as the chances of upping your AC significantly aren't real good (unless you use a dancing shield), so miss chances are your friend.

Of course, I'm a Greatsword-wielding, Power attacking Paladin, so I like squishy giants, myself. ;)

I've bought a bunch of different things like Gloves of Fortunate Striking(reroll 1 attack per day), so I should have somewhere near the usual wealth guideline. I've got a Vest of Resistance +2, Flaming Greatsword +1, and a Belt that gives +2 Str and Con(and some other stuff). The next few levels will probably be some stat-boosters- the Gloves of Dex(probably better than rerolling one attack), Cloak of Cha(Minor Displacement, if I can get one!), and upgrade to armor.

Remove ads