Dragonmarked

Bront

The man with the probe
Moggthegob said:
I would not really be interested in twinking it. What I was interested in was the ability to break up full attacks or rapid shot if one of them happens to miss.
You want shoot on the run for that. Stock feat in the SRD. That's NOT what that feat does. (it's you get a move action if someone misses you in melee)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
You want shoot on the run for that. Stock feat in the SRD. That's NOT what that feat does. (it's you get a move action if someone misses you in melee)
I think he doesn't want Shot on the Run--he wants the ability to destroy any sort of consecutive attack routine once a shot misses. But you're correct, Bront, that without a limit, this could create some idiotic situations.

Imagine, if you will, Two Fighters on the same team, both with Robilar's Gambit (or any other feat that gives AoOs on an attack against you) which requires Combat Reflexes. Let's say they have 26 Dex each (by the time they have Robilar's Gambit, that's likely) and Orien Battle Stride. They will be able to move 8x their normal movement in addition to all other movement by simply having one attack the other once and missing on purpose (#1 attacks #2 and misses on purpose, also provoking an AoO, so #2 attacks #1, missing on purpose, both have Orien Battle Stride and take the move to be adjacent again, and #1 gets an AoO on #2 thanks to Robilar's Gambit, so takes it, missing on purpose, and so on and so on.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Prestige Classes:
Blade of Orien: 6th level earliest entry (w/ Dragonmark Heir, 7th otherwise). Good BAB and Reflex. Battle uses of teleporting. Not unbalanced to me. YES

Cyre Scout: 4th lvl earliest entry (ranger, druid, or scout), Medium BAB, Good Fort/Will, gains some infusions. Odd, but not unbalanced. YES

Silver Key: 4th lvl entry (dwarf rogue), Med BAB, Good Ref/Will. The SR does seem a bit powerful. NO

Feats;
Dragonmark Adept: Not a single one of these spells has been approved IIRC, so approving the feat would be less useful. No Vote.

DragonMark Battle Strike: Fine. YES

Orien battle Stride: Its not a full move action, its only a 5' move, but it is unlimited. It does specifically mentions "opponent" not "attacker", which *should* rule out RA's trick (the pair are allies). I vote YES as it is, but will also support explicitly wording it so it applies to non-allies and/or limiting the movement.

Quicken Dragonmark: YES

Spells:
Dancing Dragonmark: YES
Fortify Dragonmark: YES
Ignite Dragonmark: YES
Mask Abberant Dragonmark: YES
Ray of Retaliation: YES

Bront

The man with the probe
stonegod said:
Orien battle Stride: Its not a full move action, its only a 5' move, but it is unlimited. It does specifically mentions "opponent" not "attacker", which *should* rule out RA's trick (the pair are allies). I vote YES as it is, but will also support explicitly wording it so it applies to non-allies and/or limiting the movement.
I just compare it to Dash, which is 5' extra move per move action. However, it lets you move after being attacked, which can be all sorts of extra useful. I think limiting it is a good thing.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Moggthegob said:
Well then what if I propose a modified version of Orien Battle Stride limiting it to one 5' step per round, two with a greater mark?
That limit fixes extra movement abuses, but I think it is still a bit too strong against opponents with Claw/Claw/Bite and similar routines, or just in combination with Displacement or flat miss chances. Being able to break up full attacks if they ever miss you leads to problems in different areas. The example that comes to mind immediately, though is least useful due to the fact that it requires the feat Epic Dodge, is Epic Dodge + this feat. Epic Dodge lets you make one attack per round from your Dodge target automatically miss you. This feat lets you make sure you won't be taking more than 1 per round.

Erekose13

Explorer
Prestige Classes:
Blade of Orien - Yes
Silver Key - No; suggested modification: SR vs traps only.
Cyre Scout - Yes

Note that the minimum levels stonegod listed for Silver Key and Cyre Scout require a character to invest in the Education feat. I'm not sure I like that feat given how many PrCs use skill ranks to set minimum levels by class. This feat lets you get around any PrC that uses a Knowledge skill that is not typical for the intended base class.

Feats;
Quicken Dragonmark - Yes
Orien battle Stride - Yes; note that you can only take one immediate action per turn and it uses up your swift action on your next turn. This isn't as bad as everyone thinks.
DragonMark Battle Strike - Yes
Dragonmark Adept - would vote yes if all spells were in first. Need to be added to OP.
Lesser Aberrant Dragonmark (as added by Bront) - Yes

Spells:
Fortify Dragonmark - Yes
Mask Abberant Dragonmark - Yes
ignite Dragonmark - Yes
Ray of Retaliation - Yes
Dancing Dragonmark - Yes

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hmm, that's three. Well, I can't remember if this is actually effective, but I'm going to vote NO to all of these that have three YES votes until I can get a look at the text of the feats, classes, etc. If worse comes to worse, I'll have to call my brother and have him read them to me.

Remove ads