A new Middle Earth d20 thread

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
tleilaxu - Very nice work so far! I hope you eventually distill it down into a doc we can post at the conversion site.

I don't know where ICE got their info regarding the Nazgul, except that most of it is material ICE created. I know Tolkien mentioned "Khamul the Black Easterling" as being the second most powerful Nazgul, but I can't remember right off the top of my head where - probably in Unfinished Tales. The Witch-king is generally accepted to be a Black Numenorean (I, personally, am certain of it), but I don't remember if Tolkien ever specifically said so.

tleilaxu

First Post
I've been thinking about Beorn. Actually, posting here got me actively interested in reading tolkien stuff again. I went and bought the old hobbit cartoon today. i had good memories watching that as a kid but i have to say some things are better left to youthful memories (i'm having flashbacks to 'ice pirates')

anyway, I think the class bear warrior is perfect for beorn (from OA)

Has anyone done a Beorn? If we're going with core rules only I guess were-bear is the best way to go. Anyway, just soliciting thoughts. Time to get back to working on my Halbarad...

Red Baron

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
The Witch-king is generally accepted to be a Black Numenorean (I, personally, am certain of it), but I don't remember if Tolkien ever specifically said so.
Yup, he did: there's a pretty big chunk about Er-Murazor, Black Prince of Numenor, in Unfinished Tales.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I'm sorry; I don't see any reference to him under any of those names in Unfinished Tales. I also found nothing by way of all the various names he and the other Nazgul go by.

tleilaxu

First Post
It is implied that the Witch-King is a Black Numenorean (and it would make the most sense). Anyway,

Col: Would making one of the Nazgul from life to undeath be within the rules for creating an "original character"?

Red Baron

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
I'm sorry; I don't see any reference to him under any of those names in Unfinished Tales. I also found nothing by way of all the various names he and the other Nazgul go by.
Hmm... weird! I'm sure I just read it there about 2 months ago...

I'll have a looksee through some other books and see if I can't track that reference down. Apologies.

GruTheWanderer

First Post
Red Baron said:
Hmm... weird! I'm sure I just read it there about 2 months ago...

I'll have a looksee through some other books and see if I can't track that reference down. Apologies.

I remember seeing the name in the Chronology of Numenor here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~sdgeard/hccnum2.html

It mentions that ICE either created or expanded on Murazor. However, I seem to recall seeing the name (at least) in something by Tolkien.

Colonel, did you check the part in Unfinished Tales about the Nine (and the things they did on their trip to the shire)? I seem to remember some description there of how the Nazgul were divided between Dol Guldur and Mordor.

Derek

Remove ads