A new Middle Earth d20 thread

tleilaxu

First Post
Hey Colonel! How is the contest going? How many entries did you get? I assume you'll still announce the winner in Nov as scheduled?

Takeda

First Post
An addition to this stream of consciousness!

Warning, ... a few spelling mistakes, ... too late to fix, brain almost dead. Muuuust Sleeeeeep! ;)

Istari: Divine Rank (0), but forbidden to use all but the most minor of powers. Those that broke this rule were 'diminished', and were ultimately made weaker. The reason I see that Sauron created the One Ring was to bind people's will to him yes, ... but also to allow him to stop the Diminishing of his power. It cost him to make it, making him vulnerable, ... I.E. Ring being cut off effectively destroyed his physical form. But when he wore it his native powers were greatly enhanced. Thus his being diminished by creating monsters and using power more openenly did not have it's usual consequence. All Istari would have the usual 20d8 for being a Quasi-Diety and thus an Outsider, as well as 20+ levels of various other spell-casting classes. Thus with 20HD of Outsider and say 20 levels of Wizard they would have a BAB alone of +30! So levels of fighter to be able to use the sword effectively are unnecessary!

Aragorn Ranger 5/Paladin 4/Fighter 6-8. He is a Dunedain, and thus ages slowly and is much older than he appears.
Boromir Fighter, mid-teens. His desire to save Gondor and defeat Mordor was so strong it made him susceptible to the Ring's influence.
Legolas as a Mid-teens fighter, concentrating on Archery and Two-Weapon/Ambidexterity.
Gimli as a mid-teens fighter, concentrating on Dwarven Waraxe, and all axes in fact.
Frodo, by the end of FotR, Rogue 1/Paladin 2/Aristocrat 1. Hard to explain my reasoning for this, ... basically comes down to his resolve and self-sacrifice. He is doing it all for the well-being of the all of Middle Earth. Anything he suffers along the way is just the way it is. He does it to protect the Shire and all that he loves, ... which thanks to Bilbo is quite a bit of Middle Earth through his stories, maps and copious treasures. He is not a religious paladin exactly, but more a philosophical one, ... "For the Shire!"
Sam, by the end of FotR, Fighter 1/Rogue 2/Expert (Gardener).
Merry, by the end of FotR, Rogue 3/Aristocrat 1.
Pippin, by the end of FotR, Rogue 3/Aristocrat 1.

Note: IMC (which is unashamedly Tolkienesque) Elves get Listen, Spot and Wilderness Lore as Class Skills regardless of chosen profession.
Halflings Hide, Move Silently and Listen.
Gnomes (which aren't Tolkienesque, but can't be ignored) get Listen, Hide and Knowledge (Tunneling/Engineering).
Dwarves get Appraisal and Knowledge (Metallurgy/Architecture/Engineering/Mining)
Humans get to pick two of their choice that aren't class restricted, to reflect their diversity and individual aptitudes.
Orcs get Intimidate, Climb and Jump.
Half-Elves and Half-Orcs get to pick which race they most closely resemble, and thus aptitudes.

Orcs in Tolkien's work are much tougher than the D&D system allows, but at the same time damage inflicted has much more realistic consequences. ... a Dynamic that doesn't really work in D&D's High-Fantasy system.

Arcane Spellcasters don't need spellbooks because the knowledge of the spell isn't burned out of them by casting it, ... it simply depletes the caster's fatigue, and dynamic not reflected in D&D.

The Cave Troll in Moria was much tougher than a simple troll would be in D&D, .. with a huge amount of damage needed to kill it. Very tough tissue, many of the blows that hit it did nothing! ... Maybe Damage Reduction 10/- to reflect the incredibly tough hide, ... with Power Attack, Cleave and Sunder!?

The Balrog from Moria, ... almost as powerful as the Istari, .. just a little lower on the Maiar scale, ... not sure how to represent that? ... Maybe give a Balrog from the MM +10 HD, ... I don't think many of the Fellowship had 'Anything' that would have touched it's Damage Reduction!?

... That's all for now. ... Just my two pence!

Last edited:

The Proconsul

First Post
Legacy of Kings

May I suggest a new MiddleEarth d20 feat?

Legacy of Kings

Th blood of the ancient noble kings of Numénor runs through your veins.

Prerequisite: Human

Benefit: You age as per PHB Half-elf. Also, you gain a +1 racial bonus to will saves, and a +1 racial bonus to Heal ckecks.

Special: May only be taken at 1st level.

Also, im thinking about a "Rider of Rohan" PrC. Any suggestions?

Takeda

First Post
Re: Legacy of Kings

The Proconsul said:
May I suggest a new MiddleEarth d20 feat?

Legacy of Kings

Th blood of the ancient noble kings of Numénor runs through your veins.

Prerequisite: Human

Benefit: You age as per PHB Half-elf. Also, you gain a +1 racial bonus to will saves, and a +1 racial bonus to Heal ckecks.

Special: May only be taken at 1st level.

Also, im thinking about a "Rider of Rohan" PrC. Any suggestions?

Blood of Numénor for the name of Feat sounds good too! ;)

Looks good to me.

As for Rider of Rohan Prc. There was a feat in Wheel of Time where you got +2 to Ride and Animal Handling checks (Saddleback, ... I think?) that would sound to be a good Prerequisite. Ranks of Ride and Animal Handling, BAB, Maybe Mounted Combat as a Prerequisite as well? They would have to be born and bred as Rider's of Rohan or go through a period of proving their worth and then adopted as a Honorary Rohanian? Or is that Rohirrim? Brain mushy?

Some of the Defenders of the Realm features would be appropriate from Sword & Fist. Bonus Damage for Ride-By attacks, etc. Remember though as you're doing it that they are essentially land-vikings! Perhaps some morale bonuses to Will checks versus fear or mind-effecting spells/effects. Perhaps a bonus to damage versus the ancient foes of Rohan, Orcs (Goblinoids) or the Armies of Sauron. Like Chosen Enemy bonuses, or maybe a morale bonus?, +1 to hit and/or damage at 1st, +2 at 5th and +3 at 10th versus Orcs or simply all goblinoids? A bonus Riding feat of some kind as they go up in levels, or +1 to all damage dealt while on horseback, or even +1 to damage for each even level of the PrC?

.... Just rambling?

The Proconsul

First Post
Here's a first draft of the PrC. In the first few levels, he gains some combat bonuses while mounted, while I decided his abilities later focus a bit more on leading his men in battle.

Rider of Rohan

The Riders of Rohan form Middle-Earth’s most feared light cavalry, wielding their signature weapon, the spear, with great skill. Hailing from the vast plains of the Rohirrim, the Horse-Men, they have lived together with their horses from childbirth on. None can hope to recreate the bond the Rohirrim share with their horses, not even the immortal elves. Riders of Rohan usually hail from the Fighter class, though Paladins, already having a unique mount, fit the concept rather well, too, as do Rangers and Barbarians with their more wilderness oriented set of skills. Other classes rarely become Riders of Rohan.
NPC Riders of Rohan form the elite core of the Rohirrim Army, and the king’s personal guard (called the Eorlingas [I think, correct me, if you will ;)])

Prerequisites
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Ride, 8 ranks, Handle Animal 4 ranks
Feats: Mounted Combat, and Ride-By Attack or Mounted Archery
Special: Must own a light horse and a light warhorse of Rohirrim ancestry, and must be accepted into the Riders of Rohan, an honor usually reserved to denizens of that country.

Class Features
Hit Die: d10
Class Skills: Animal Empathy (Horses only) (Cha), Balance (Dex), Handle Animal (Cha), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Wilderness Lore (Wis).
Skill Points each level: 2 + Int modifier

Special Abilities
Riders of Rohan are proficient with the Shortspear, the Javelin, the heavy Lance, and the composite Longbow, as well as with light Armor.

Light Cavalry: All class features, except Leadership, Inspired Charge and Ringbearer funcion only if the Rider and his mount are wearing no armor heavier than light.

Ride Bonus: At 1st level, the Rider gets as +2 inherent bonus to his Ride skill. This bonus increases by 2 at 4th, 7th and 10th level.

Fearless Charge: Beginning at 1st level, while performing a charge action while mounted, he gains a +2 morale Bonus to Will saves to avoid mind-influencing effects. This bonus increases to +3 at 5th level, and +4 at 10th level.

Wall of Shields: Beginning at 3rd level, the rider, when dismounted and equipped with at lest a large shield, he may together with at least 4 other Riders (which may be of lower levels) form a wall of shields. The armor bonus of the shields increases by two for all participients, as long as all of them stand in a line and do not move. One level 3 rider is required for all riders below that level, and all participients must be at least 1st level Riders of Rohan.

Skillful Rider: Beginning at 2rd level, the Rider applies his ride bonus (the class ability) to his Initiative checks, and at 8th level as a dodge Bonus to his AC while mounted.

Leadership: At 6th level, the Rider of Rohan receives the Leadership feat for free. If he has this feat already, or acquires it later by normal means, his Leadership score is increased by 2.

Inspiring Charge: If the first action a Rider of Rohan of at least 6th level is a mounted charge (after moving close enough to the enemy), all allies within 30 feat gain a +1 morale bonus to initiative, attacks and damage for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier.

Ringbearer: At 9th level, as a token of his status, the Rider of Rohan receives a ring from his king. This ring is (usually) not magical, but merely a symbol of the status he has attained. A Ringbearer has the right to command his own company of riders in battle, and his special status gives him a +2 bonus to all Charisma-related checks when dealing with Rohirrim, as well as a +2 bonus to his Leadership score for purposes of attaining followers.

Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1 +2 +2 +0 Ride +2, Fearless Charge +2
2 +2 +3 +3 +0 Skillful Rider: Initiative
3 +3 +3 +3 +1 Wall of Shields
4 +4 +4 +4 +1 Ride Bonus +4
5 +5 +4 +4 +1 Fearless Charge +3, Leaderhip
6 +6 +5 +5 +2 Inspiring Charge
7 +7 +5 +5 +2 Ride Bonus +6
8 +8 +6 +6 +2 Skillful Rider: AC
9 +9 +6 +6 +3 Ringbearer
10 +10 +7 +7 +3 Fearless Charge +4, Ride Bonus +8

... Well, it's certainly not underpowered. :rolleyes: I think :D
Hmmm ... what's missing is an ability that improves the horse itself...

Last edited:

The Proconsul

First Post
As an afterthought: I DO think that the elvish races on the website are, by far over the top. Wouldn't it be easier to mark where they DON'T get a +2 Bonus? I always felt that elves were so powerful because they are immortal, and thus, in D&D terms, high- too epic-level. And I don't remember any evidence they are telepaths - they call themselves "the speakers", after all.

Also, a suggestion to the Silmaril. Probably never needed in a campaign, it's always fun to invent powerful artifacts. Correct me if the story of them is wrong, it's a long time since i read the Silmarillion.

The Silmaril

These items were created by Feanor, the most powerful elf ever to be born, and they are not among the most powerful items of Middle-Earth - they ARE the most powerful items, for in them is cept the last remnants of the great trees Telperion and Laurelin. They stand for all that is good and beautiful.
However, a terrible curse has been lain upon them, for Feanor and his family must seek and reclaim them, from whoever is in possesion of them. Only then all of them were destroyed or removed even from the reaches of the immortal elves could they rest.

The Silmaril emit light constantly, and all non-good beings within 50 feet of them is affected by a sunbeam spell cast by a 40th-level sorcerer each round. Also, all evil creatures within line of sight and within 50 ft. take 1d12 damage each round (no save), and an additional 1d12 for every ten foor nearer (i. e., 2d12 up to 40 ft. away). All non-good beings who touch it must succeed at both a Fortitude and Will save DC 40 each round or be instantly slain.
The Silmaril emit light as the sun to an area 10 miles away, as the moon 20 miles, and as the stars 100 miles. Any good creature carrying one gets the spellcasting abilities of a lvl 20 Paladin with 25 Wisdom (even when already a Paladin of any level).

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
The Proconsul said:
As an afterthought: I DO think that the elvish races on the website are, by far over the top. Wouldn't it be easier to mark where they DON'T get a +2 Bonus? I always felt that elves were so powerful because they are immortal, and thus, in D&D terms, high- too epic-level. And I don't remember any evidence they are telepaths - they call themselves "the speakers", after all.

I'm guessing you mean my version of the elves. Remember, there are many different interpretations on the site, not just mine. You can always use someone else's or, if you'd like, create stats and have us post them. The site is a repository for different visions of the same thing, not the "one true way" to game in Middle Earth.

There is absolutely a reference to the elves speaking mind-to-mind; after the War of the Ring is over, and everyone heads north, Tolkien specifically mentions the elves and Gandalf silently speaking amongst themselves. I, and many others, have quoted this passage a number of times. From "Many Partings," in Return of the King:

Often long after the hobbits were wrapped in sleep they [Gandalf, Elrond, Celeborn, and Galadriel] would sit together under the stars, recalling the ages that were gone and all their joys and labours in the world, or holding council, concerning their days to come. If any wanderer had chanced to pass, little would he have seen or heard, and it would have seemed to him only that he saw grey figures, carved in stone, memorials of forgotten things now lost in unpeopled lands. For they did not move or speak with mouth, looking from mind to mind; and only their shining eyes stirred and kindled as their thoughts went to and fro.

Emphasis mine.

I enjoyed the Colonel's new take on the Fellowship posted on the MEd20 site.

"At last, another soul converted to the idea that Lord of the Rings does not require epic levels!"

(insert evil villain laugh)

I read "Gandalf is a Fifth-level Wizard" quite some time ago, thank you very much. I still tend to agree with its basic ideas -- I think the lower magic feel of Lord of the Rings (neglecting the Silmarillion, which is quite different entirely) is best achieved with relatively low-level characters. :)

Good work, CH!

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Thanks. I'd seen so many comments and questions over the time the site has been up about a low-level take on the characters, that I decided to stop waiting for someone else to do it, and come up with 'em on my own. As always, though, if anyone else has such a take, we'd love to see it.

Remove ads