S@squ@tch's Against the Giants - Team Gold OOC - Recruiting

s@squ@tch

First Post
I like the way you are doing that, DW, I might have to do something similar next time I play a spontaneous caster.

For those who have crusader/warblade/swordsage classes -- please include on your combat posts your readied manuevre's, stances, expended, etc, etc for tracking purposes. It will make things easier for me to follow-along.

s@squ@tch

First Post
Also, I am not that familiar with the mechanics of the swordsage and warblade -- my understanding is that the crusader's maneuvre's are granted mostly by chance, with the crusader having to roll a die to see which of his/her remaining maneuvres it is granted. Do the swordsage and warblade do that as well, or are they pretty much akin to prepared spells -- with the caveat that all must be used before they are refreshed?

Xaositek

First Post
Warblades and Swordsages both have a list of readied maneuvers that they get full access to each encounter. Warblades can regain all their expended maneuvers with a swift action, but must follow it immediately with making a melee attack (not a Strike maneuver) or using a standard action to focus. Swordsages get many more readied maneuvers, but don't regain them as easily - they have to spend a full round action to regain a single spent maneuver.

Since I have the Adaptive Style feat, I can also change which maneuvers I have readied as a full round action.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Also, I am not that familiar with the mechanics of the swordsage and warblade -- my understanding is that the crusader's maneuvre's are granted mostly by chance, with the crusader having to roll a die to see which of his/her remaining maneuvres it is granted. Do the swordsage and warblade do that as well, or are they pretty much akin to prepared spells -- with the caveat that all must be used before they are refreshed?

Swordsage and Warblade are actually a bit simpler than Crusader.

Their list of readied would be best described like prepared spells, as per your observation, except they don't all have to be used before refreshing. As Xaositek said, Warblades have to take a Swift action to flourish, taunt or some such and then either make a standard attack (not full attack, not a Strike, and use no Boosts) or take a Standard action to focus (no AoO), after which they regain all their readied maneuvers. Swordsages have to take a full-round action to focus (no AoO) and regain one maneuver each time.

Adaptive Style (the feat) allows a person to simply take a full-round action and change all their readied maneuvers, regardless of class. A Crusader gets a new set of granted maneuvers when they use Adaptive Style.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Nope. But remember, you have to take the full-round action to use it. So, losing out on your whole turn while the bad guy slams your head in may not be the best thing to do in combat. :lol:

Vertexx69

First Post
As a "for instance" this turn King Grommet will be granted his final manuever (He'll have no more withheld). On the next round all his unused granted manuvers go away, and the 5 he has prepared for the day go back into his "withheld deck" and he gets 3 of the 5 randomly. The next 2 turns after that he'll be granted the remaining 2 witheld manuevers and then it starts over again. So the crusader is actually never without at least 1 manuever to use, without having to take a specific action to do regain them.

So with the "adaptive style" feat King Grommet could choose to prepare any 5 maneuvers on his "Known Manuevers" list as a full round action, but they would still become his "witheld deck" that he would then be granted 3 random powers from by his divine connection.

@ Scotty D - We're waitin on Dori if you want to post an action bud.

@ S@s - if you want me post Hudders actions just say the word.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
will be posting shortly. sorry to make you all wait, as i normally would have at about 0100 hrs, but i have been working OT and it was too late and i was too tired at 0300 hrs.

Remove ads