Would you like to see commemorative editions of the core rules of all older editions?

Would you like to see commemorative editions of the core rules of all older editions?

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Yeah. I mean, you might as well suggest that they license a company to print tiny miniature reprints of all the AD&D books and some of the boxed sets...

Oh, wait. That actually happened, didn’t it?

(^_^)

Yeah, I was always curios about those replicates. Does anyone have any idea of how much it cost the licensee to redo/reformat/redesign the books, how long it took, and how well they sold?

Well, apart from WotC of course. What company was it that did the publishing?

/M

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
It did actually happen. I do not think that it made anybody money. As many old school and new school fans alike here have noted on numerous occassions in the past, those little books were. . . err. . . crap.
I took a look at them when they were available in shops... they were cute, but almost unreadable. I didn't buy any of them

Papercut

First Post
I for one would love to see a reprint of the 1e DMG, it is an amazing book which continues to be useful. I would like to see it reorganized into a more coherent product (not rewritten though); made into something more usable for people who are not grogs. A Phantom Edit if you will... errata'd with some of the monster stats cruch taken out to lower the page count.

This could also be done by fans on the back channels.

Korgoth

First Post
Yes, of course.

You can buy a commemorative set of Monopoly. I'm pretty sure that's not cutting into sales of the base game. Likewise with Stratego, etc.

They should do this. It would go a long way towards mending fences with angry legacy customers. Personally, I don't need a new copy of the old rules, but not only would I buy one but I would get my players to buy them too.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I took a look at them when they were available in shops... they were cute, but almost unreadable.

Yeah, it was the "almost unreadable" that initially did them in as a product, I think. But. . .

I didn't buy any of them

A friend of mine in Topeka bought all of them. They did not stand up to regular use well (it didn't take much to crack the spine, and after you did, the pages all came undone).

bagger245

Explorer
This, too. I have bought and printed nearly all of the core rules for past editions of D&D, as well as quite a few clones.

Are the scans good? I am thinking of printing them core books as well but worried about print
quality.
Anyway, it would be such a waste if 50 years from now, when the ebay copies of
old editions are impractical to usage, the current generation will not know of
the old D&D editions.
For those who voted no on the poll, besides already owning the books, easily getting
them from ebay or impractical for WOTC to reprint them, obviously you guys
aren't the target market, but do think about those who never got to open a red box
for christmas..

Darkwolf71

First Post
Don't particularly care either way. I already have the originals, so have no need for them myself, but if there was demand, I suppose it would be cool.
I'd love to see one for OD&D and one for 1E - a single book each that combines all the rules for play.

It would be fun!
Now collections such as this, would have my interest. A 'Rules Compendium' for 1st or OD&D would rock.

Remove ads