Votes: 13 15.3%
  • What this has to do with RPG?

Votes: 5 5.9%

WhatGravitas

Explorer
It's anime, so the answer has to be no.

Bye
Thanee
That's a funny thing - I'm no fan of more modern animes, but Lodoss War s something I really like. I think that Japanese animation nowadays is sometimes a bit... "typecast". After their success, a lot of animation tried to keep the same stylistic and story conventions, which forms that "anime style" nowadays.

It's a bit harder to find off-beat animes nowadays (though Studio Ghibli usually does a good job it retaining their own style), as the big ones aimed at adolescents tend to dominate so much (even more in TV... I swear, German television only shows these - but then, back then, the Heidi cartoon in ARD was also Japanese animation).

Cheers, LT.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I started watching it, 10? 12 years ago? And didn't get past the first couple of episodes.

The style of story-telling turned me off.

TwinBahamut

First Post
I rather like it. Actually, the first few episodes of the Lodoss War OVA were among the first things I ever saw that was specifically billed as anime, so in a way it is the show that made me an anime fan (or at least was partly responsible, it was Gundam Wing and Cowboy Bebop that made me a true fan of the medium). This was before I got into D&D, actually, so my fondness for Lodoss War has had more influence on my interest in D&D than the reverse.

I own the full OVA series on DVD, and have seen pretty much all of the TV series, but I have never quite seen the entire TV series from beginning to completion. I've never really watched anything else from that setting. I like the OVA best, but the TV series really has a fantastic opening.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Can someone enlighten me? OVA?
OVA; Original Video Animation. Basically they are films or series (usually mini-series to one season size) animes that aren't shown in theatres or on tv and are straight to DVD.

So the Lodoss War OVA was only seeable if bought/rented... Though probably has been shown on TV since then I would assume.

Wombat

First Post
Nope.

Don't like the music, don't like the big-eyes-pointy-nose depictions of people, and the story has a hard time grabbing me past the animation.

I like some anime/manga, but not that much. Then again, the same could be said for Western comic books, fantasy films, and indeed most fantasy novels.

There are very few that really hold my interest; most of them simply seem childish.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Yes. Both the miniseries and the TV show. I'd have to agree that it was more D&D than any of the D&D movies or cartoons ever were. I love the opening theme of Chronicles.

I was told about everything that was in the novel series and MAN O MAN I wish they would translate those books!

Traycor

Explorer
I seem to remember reading an interview years ago where the creator of Lodoss War said that he loved Dragonlance and the story was loosely based off of that. Watching the anime, the story seems to line up with a great many Dragonlance elements.

Felon

First Post
Here's the thing: when it was actually about the party of adventurers, it was cool. But Lodoss War fell back into the trap of putting one character in the center stage and everyone else getting more-or-less written out of the final acts. Man, Woodchuck was one of the cooler characters, and look at how they just threw him away.

Maybe it's just me, but ensemble casts are far more interesting than solo acts.

Remove ads