TURTLEDOME!: Battle Bone (DM: KenHood, Judge: Lord S.)

weldon

Explorer
Finnian withers beneath Mr. Pinch's gaze and beads of sweat form on his brow. This country boy's first visit to the big city isn't going quite the way he imagined.

Mr. Pinch, sir. I didn't mean no disrespect here. I, uh, ...

The sentence just fades off, unfinished.

[sblock=Diplomacy Check]
Roll Lookup
1d20+3 → [16,3] = (19)
[/sblock]

Finnian wants to say more, but bites his tongue and inclines his head to the master of Turtledome and lowers his eyes to the floor, hoping against hope that someone else will break the silence.

[sblock=OOC]We should move on before Finnian sticks his foot further into his mouth. :p Besides, I'm anxious to see what 4E combat looks like.[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
Mr. Pinch produces a lopsided smile.

"Apology accepted, Mr. Finnian. And I of all people am first to admit that bravado and audacity make for interesting warriors in a bout."

"How about this? Instead of my making payment to your party for the 'privilege' of having you fight in my arena, we make a little wager of sorts."

"Ah, ah. Before you object, I am asking for nothing from you should you lose this wager."

"The wager is this: Should your party manage to survive three rounds in the battle with the Legion of Bone and achieve a green rating on the Approvalometer, I will pause the match and offer a magical trinket to each member as a salute to their martial, arcane, or divine (as you will) virtue."

"The crowd loves these sort of gestures. The noble recognition of a worthy foe, and so forth."

"You may keep the items, whether or not you win the match. (And you shall receive them after the match.)"

OOC: Skill Challenge Progress -- Success 3, Failures 1.

Chance of payment just for participation is no longer possible.​

fireinthedust

Explorer
Emral takes a long, long, looooooooong pull at the Earl Grey in his cup, listening to the negotiations going on. His respect for Drivan increases throughout the contest of words, but soon the time comes for his own points.

Excellent tea. Emral smacks his lips and takes a deep breath in through his nose, looking out over the arena. My thanks, Mr. Pinch. I do mean that, as I'm sure any telepath you have in your service can likely tell you.
I also must have you know that no one in this party means you any kind of disrespect in these negotiations. We are honored to fight in the TURTLEDOME! against your prize fighters, and look forward to the glory that comes with participating in these matches.
Our concerns are that we as adventurers have certain... expectations from battles such as this, that often include surprise gratuities: hidden treasure, or the goods left behind by foes such as weapons and armor that can be resold to fund our operations. Normal adventures for a patron come with the expectation of rewards beyond the initial paycheck, and in a very real way this is how we can afford to go on as mercenaries or scholars. As such, and again meaning no offense, the request of 600 gold for a group such as this is a somewhat conservative figure, as minor magical items we might come across could easily cost upwards of 700 gold each. Not mentioning what several of them spread among the group of us would total. In the interests of respecting your establishment and your generous offer of an opportunity for us, of course.

Emral spares a glance to the rest of the group, then takes another long pull from the tea cup. Mmm, again, excellent. Would your maidservant be around still? I fear I'm just about done this glass. How did you convince such a gem to enter into your service, by the way? I'm under the impression that Mariliths are fantastic warriors, of epic proportions when it comes to swordplay. Certainly enough to draw a crowd, if she stayed in her natural form curing a fight of course. If I had any idea they were as good at making tea as they are with their swordplay, I would have gone into Conjuration/Summoning instead of battlemagic! he chuckles.

[sblock=party] Yeah, we can totally earn more than 600gp on the road with the level 1 treasure packets of magic items. (as a GM, I know this sort of thing)
Mr. Pinch knows the score, it's good to let him know we're also aware of it. We as a party won't be getting loot! This is an arena battle, so unless there are magic items hidden around the arena, we need all that money to add up to whatever we're going to get for the next battle.
Likewise, make sure we're not selling ourselves into slavery. And please don't insult the Oni/higher level NPC!

I'm going to be writing papers for the next couple of days. Then I have exams. I'll be totally done and back to obnoxious numbers of posts by Friday Morning. Until then, I'll maybe write on and off. Seriously, wish I had more free time this week for this encounter! GM: you're killing me!

also: I don't know how to make the rolls, or I would. Anyone know how? [/sblock]

mohalloran

First Post
"When Vaunea wins, make Vaunea doll? Call Vaunea beater of skeleton? Want called 'Vaunea, Bone Cruncher'. And looks like this! And Vaunea want one!"

Vaunea puts on her most intimidating face, to show Mr. Pinch just how the doll should look.

[sblock='OOC']I know it's weird, and don't know if it would count towards the skill challenge, but I know that my character would want this.

Oh, and I'm not rolling insight because I have no reason to believe this man would lie to me. I am but a simple creature. ;-)[/sblock]

[sblock='Intimidate']1d20+5->24

Almost got the hang of it. Forgot the note as an intimidate check.[/sblock]

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
Our concerns are that we as adventurers have certain... expectations from battles such as this, that often include surprise gratuities....

Mr. Pinch sniffs.

"Essentially, you want more money. Correct?"

"Very well, 300 gold pieces for the winner, but you're putting me in a tight spot as far as recuperating my expenditures."
"We have a very slim margin of profit on these matches, offering them primarily as a public service, sort of an ambassadorial extension between the 'civilized' and the 'monstrous'. An olive branch, if you will. Anything beyond our operating costs goes directly the maintenance of orphans and widows of our kith and kin slain by adventurers. In essence, you're stealing from the mouths of starving babes, but if you can rest with that on your conscience..."

He shrugs.

And seems a little sad.

As if there's just a little less light in the world. A little less goodness and decency.

But, hey, you got the gold.

[sblock=OOC: Skill Checks] Go to this site: Invisible Castle.

I roll this for your character:
Diplomacy Check (1d20+5=25).

Point of Consideration: When you're comparing the gp value of a TURTLEDOME! fight to a regular adventure, you need compare the degree of risk, too. Your characters cannot die in a TURTLEDOME! fight, and you do not expend non-renewable resources. Now, if you were willing to place 'Fight to the Death' on the table, I'd consider a significant increase in the gp value of the match.... :eek:

Also, you may have noticed that when you ask for more money and get a successful result, you get 100 gp.

However, you might want to abandon the 'We should get more money because--doggonit--it sure is inconvenient for us to fight in your arena' angle. That's not going to work for much longer.[/sblock]

OOC: Skill Challenge Progress -- Success: 4 (of 8), Failure: 1 (of 4)

And hopefully the players have died a little on the inside realizing that babies will be drowned in the ocean by mothers that cannot feed them as a result of the increased prize money. :devil:

Last edited:

mohalloran

First Post
[sblock="fireinthedust"]

also: I don't know how to make the rolls, or I would. Anyone know how?
Go to Home
Register.
Then, after you've registered, click on "Roll Dice" at the top.
Enter all the information (Campaign is "Battle Bone")
Once the roll is made, make a link to the webpage from this page.
Watch and see what your roll gets you from the DM. ;)

That's what I've gotten so far. Hope that helps.[/sblock]

[sblock="KenHood"]What? No response to my silly doll idea? :D[/sblock]

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
[sblock=Also...]After you make the roll, if you click on the selections below the roll, they will automatically copy a bulletin-board formatted message into your clipboard. If you paste it into here, you get a link with all your notes.[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
"When Vaunea wins, make Vaunea doll? Call Vaunea beater of skeleton? Want called 'Vaunea, Bone Cruncher'. And looks like this! And Vaunea want one!"

Vaunea puts on her most intimidating face, to show Mr. Pinch just how the doll should look.

"Yes!"

"Yes!"

*M-wah!* Mr. Pinch kisses his fingertips and casts the kiss into the firmament.

"That is precisely what we want in TURTLEDOME! Oh, ho, ho!"

"Done! Ms. Vaunea, if you win, I promise you a doll in your image."

He gets misty-eyed. His throat tightens. "I can see children everywhere--little humans, elves, and dwarves--clutching a 'Vaunea, Bone Crusher' to their frail bosoms each night after saying prayers to their homogenous, anthropocentric gods and dreaming sweet dreams in its plush, down-filled embrace. It's marketing genius!"

"I just..."

"I need a moment."

He places his fist to his lips and closes his eyes.

He opens his eyes, fans himself, and catches his breath.

"Ms. Vaunea, you are a monster, you know. After this match, you could leave behind these human...oids and join our little franchise."

OOC: Skill Challenge Progress -- Success: 5 (of 8), Failure: 1 (of 4)

Almost done.​

Last edited:

mohalloran

First Post
[sblock='OOC']I don't want to be doing too many of the skills here, so if I'm doing too much, let me know, discount my rolls, and I'll just succeed for fun.. If not, here goes some more. I just want to get to the fighting as well. :)[/sblock]

"Monster? Can monsters do this?" Vaunea adds with a loud gruff.

Vaunea begins taking off her scale mail and placing it on the floor beside her. She then starts a sit-up/push-up routing to amazing Mr. Pinch.

[sblock='Athletics or Endurance']Two checks?

I figured an Athletics check was necessary, but rolled the Endurance check in case you were going to require it. I wasn't sure on the roll, so I made it pre-emptively...just in case.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads