DND 3.5 "Pain Pride and Prejudice" [Interest/Recruiting]

Tiali

First Post
Sorry to all you premade Campaign fans, but this is a homegrown story and world that I have been making for some time now. I would enjoy running the game. If you have any questions regarding the story or game setting, please feel free to post them. Please post your questions, and do not PM me with questions, unless they are character related, as more people may have the same question.

If you are interested, let me know. I wouldn't mind seeing some character sheets and a possible story line as well. Restrictions and character info is below.

I play roughly 65/35, 65% story, 35% fighting. I enjoy roleplaying quite a bit, so if you are a hack and slasher, this may not be the game for you.

It begins:

War raged a thousand years ago in the lands of Alaria. It was a terrible war that engulfed every species and every race. For 50 years this war raged unabated. People lost mothers, fathers, siblings, and children... No person was uneffected by this horrible onslaught.

It was a war bred on mistrust, and hatred for the opposing races. The beasts and beast-like men wanted violence and war. Dwarves wanted coins, jewels, and earthly possessions, elves wanted to be left alone, not to have anything to do with any of the other races, and humans wanted it all; money, power, and land. All the races fought one another for a time, until the beastmen began invading, and destroying everything in their path. During the last 25 years of the 50 year war, all the goodly races, such as elves, dwarves, and humans finally put aside any differences they had and eventually pushed the beastman races, the orcs, trolls, and other goblinoids into the barren northlands, and very near extinction. The north was sealed with magic granted by the gods, a prison sentance that would last 500 years, and the beastly inhabitants of the north were left to dwell on their mistakes.

After the war, the goodly races celebrated a peace that they had not seen in half a century, and life was good...

However, this peace only lasted for a short time, as prejudice and mistrust found their way back into the hearts of the goodly races. The elves took to their own and retreated into the eastern forests, seeking solitude and enlightenment. The dwarves receded into the western mountain ranges, seeking riches and earthly desires. The humans were left with the vast plains to the south, where they lived their short lives, and waged their wars for power.

The central lands of Alaria were called the Ciserean fields, and during the war, these fields contained the majority of the fighting, and the most brutal clashes between the races.. More people died in these vast fields than in any other part of the world, and through all the bloodshed, the land was cursed.

After the war the gods created a spring of life in the center of these fields, as a gift to all the races; of which, the water could wash away any stains of regret or guilt, and make a man whole once more. This spring slowly cleansed the sins of the land, and the beautiful Ciserean fields grew once again. The gods deemed that this area could not be ruled by any one race. This area would be controlled by all races, working in unison for the betterment of Alaria. It is in the Ciserean fields that the grand city Cisera was born, and from the halls of that righteous city, the Ciserean Council, a congress of representatives to all the races, attempts to rule the Ciserean fields.

To make matters worse, the magic barrier that imprisoned all the beastmen was removed after their 500 year sentance was complete. However, after small unsuccessful clashes with the races, the beastmen slowly began to integrate themselves into society. Orcs, goblins, giants, and any other willing race was allowed to freely roam the Ciserean fields, and join the council, if their intentions were noble.

A half millenia went by and the emnity between the races only grew. The council did its best to keep things peaceful, but when it couldnt even control the prejudice in its own lands, the world wondered how it could bring peace to the masses.

In a world filled with fear, and bereft of any semblance of peace; racial emnity and prejudice is all you've ever known.

In this land, hope is a dying light, and its rays are reaching far less people....

(EDITED: Please View) Game related information:
[sblock=]

DND 3.5,
Level 3 characters. Looking for honest players. I will not be rolling the majority of your dice rolls, You Will! You can use software or hardware, whichever you chose, as long as its honest. (Hardware - noncomputerized dice)

(-80 point buy. (1-15 is 1 point each, 16, 17, and 18 are 2 point buys)
-For example, if I want to buy a 16 stat for strength, i pay 15 points for 1-15, and two additional points for 16, for a total of 17 points spent on strength.) No longer using this stat generation method.

EDIT-Sorry guys, put in a home rule thing. Should have thought before posting this part. Instead, lets go with a simple 30 point buy. Please use the stat generator at hack/ » Blog Archive » Point Buy Calculator for D&D to generate your stats. (would suggest everyone run their stats through here, as I will be when I check character sheets)

-Please keep character classes within the main books. (PHB 1 and 2, Complete Divine, Arcane, Warrior, Adventurer)
-No restrictions on races (even if race is outside books listed above), please be sure to calculate Level Adjustments into your class if you chose MM races.
-Technology is more advanced in this game. Crystals that can harness magic are used to power small technologies like lamps and other such items. More powerful versions of these crystals can power self moving carriages, and help people lift heavy objects. Mixed with other powerful magics, these crystals can do amazing things. May even power weapons, however I am undecided at this time.[/sblock]

Game Setting (Still rough around the edges): [sblock=]
A hundred years ago, the southlands broke into three provinces due to the wars it waged amongst itself. In the last year, the central and eastern provinces have declared war on the Dwarves to the west. Both sides must travel around, or through the westernmost province of the human lands. The western province, being the most powerful of the three human civilizations, is respected in its wish to remain neutral. The dwarves and the two other human provinces travel through this land, but will not commit to war on its soil.

Currently, you reside in Rawee... a small village of 3000-3250 people, depending on the trading season. How you have come to be here is a story for another day.

Rawee is a small village within the western province of the southlands. However, being so close to the Ciserean border, this small town governs itself under the laws of Cisera. As the western province is mostly attuned with the hearts of the Cisereans, this situation is agreeable by both sides, and Rawee is left pretty much alone.

Within the last year both sides, the dwarves and the eastern provinces, have come through Rawee, on the way to their battles, but at this time, the eastern human provinces have stationed a small regiment of soldiers within the walls of Rawee, to ensure that their supply lines continue through this heavy trade city, unmolested.

As Rawee hosts many people from many of the races, this has caused some problems with the prejudice human soldiers. Fights have broken out, and both soldiers and citizens have been fatally wounded. This has only enraged the soldiers, and made the citizens fear for their lives.[/sblock]

May 1st will be final day for registration.

EDITING: Added Names of Players, as well as answers to questions I was asked.

Tank - Pneumatik has claimed this position with his Shifter Fighter.

Support - Arkhandus has claimed this position with his Dragon Shaman. (Please update backround if you get a chance.)

Healer - Bedford has claimed this position with his Half-Ogre Cleric/Barbarian. (Saw your character sheet, everything looks good, will go over it tonight.)

Arcanist -

Add 1 - Jemal has claimed this position with his warlock/paladin. (Still need a working character sheet.)

Add 2 - Theroc has claimed this position with his Lizardfolk Barbarian.

Additional Information

2700 starting gold per DMG pg 135
MAX hit dice for all levels
Minimum stat = 8

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
I think I'm interested. I could use a second game to play in.

My first thought is a little off the wall but based on what you've described above I think it might be an interesting concept.

A full-blooded orc samurai (complete warrior class) with only one good eye that seeks a place in the world for his kin and the other so-called 'beast-men'. While he has a great deal of contempt for the 'high' races that look down on his brothers, he also feels great shame because of the honorless nature of many of the others from the tribes as they either grovel and beg at the heels of their masters or become feral and barbaric savages.

Arkhandus

First Post
I too may be interested. I've been looking for another game where I can play something at least a little different from the core. I'm considering some concepts that use the Players' Handbook II; a beguiler, dragon shaman, or duskblade.

But could you give a little more info? In particular, my first concerns for char-gen are:
1) what deities/religions are used? The ones in the Player's Handbook, the expanded set of deities from other 3e books (like Deities & Demigods, or Defenders of the Faith, or Living Greyhawk Gazeteer, or Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting), or an entirely different set? For the characters I'm considering, I'm wondering about Bahamut, Corellon Larethian, or Sehanine Moonbow.

2) are you expecting a relatively lawless campaign (buncha chaotic or non-lawful activity involving the PCs) or not in particular? (important matter for the lawful good character concept I'm considering)

3) do you think Track would be a fairly useful feat in the campaign, or only occasionally useful, or not sure about it yet? (important for one of the character concepts I'm considering)

Jemal

Adventurer
How far are you planning on this campaign going and how quick/slow do you intend characters to level up?

I have a few concepts I've been wanting to play, primary amongst them is a duel-wielding finesse fighter. Problem is he doesn't become exactly what I want until lvl 7 (Half-dragon Swashbuckler3/Monk1). I can play him at lower levels, but it's a bit more difficult. First, the character won't be able to be a half dragon (The only way to gain it after start is through the 10 lvl prestige class, raising his 'working level' to 15: swash3/monk1/sorc1/dragon disciple10). I can start him as a lvl 3 swashbuckler and he'd still be interesting to play, but I'd prefer to do so only if he'd end up where I want him.

Otherwise, I can use a different concept. thoughts?

Tiali

First Post
But could you give a little more info? In particular, my first concerns for char-gen are:
1) what deities/religions are used? The ones in the Player's Handbook, the expanded set of deities from other 3e books (like Deities & Demigods, or Defenders of the Faith, or Living Greyhawk Gazeteer, or Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting), or an entirely different set? For the characters I'm considering, I'm wondering about Bahamut, Corellon Larethian, or Sehanine Moonbow.

2) are you expecting a relatively lawless campaign (buncha chaotic or non-lawful activity involving the PCs) or not in particular? (important matter for the lawful good character concept I'm considering)

3) do you think Track would be a fairly useful feat in the campaign, or only occasionally useful, or not sure about it yet? (important for one of the character concepts I'm considering)

I would like to keep the deities within the basic 3.5 setting, not branch into the Forgotten Realms, Eberron, etc. The three you have listed above, will all work without a problem. For the rest of you with a similar question, yes v3.0 Dieties and Demigods can be used to select diety. It is the only book I have of the ones listed above.

Alignment wise, I would like to keep the game within the neutral to good standpoint. However, the law/chaos half is entirely up to you. I tend to make several options for the party to follow, and if for example, you have a monk, paladin, and/or lawful cleric in the group, the choices may change the means in which you reach the end result. Whereas a Barbarian, Rogue, and/or Samurai might take another path. I can tell you, I do plan on putting in game situations that would be morally and ethically stressful for a lawful character. [That said, im not trying to dissuade a lawfully aligned character, I just want you to know that difficulties may arise that will challenge his code of ethics]

As for the Track feat; looking at the game plans I have, I can't see a situation in which this will be absolutely necessary. However, I can't promise that situations wont arise in which this feat would be useful.
On that same note, Trapfinding isn't an absolute necessity, but may be helpful at times (for those of you wondering).

Tiali

First Post
How far are you planning on this campaign going and how quick/slow do you intend characters to level up?

-

Otherwise, I can use a different concept. thoughts?

Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee a 15th level campaign. I would love for it to go that far, but it depends on the continued interest of the players.

As for leveling speed: I will most likely level up lower levels at a slightly quicker pace than average, but will most likely slow down to average pace once we hit a Mid tier level (7-13).

I apologize to burst your bubble, but I would lean towards not building a character that specifically needs a long path of development. On a higher note, if interest in the campaign continues, I will be breaking the story i have into multiple 'chapters,' and if you would like to move from one chapter to the next with a new character, I will give you that option.

-However, please don't create a 'silly' character with the intentions of dumping him upon start of next chapter. I would still appreciate a seriously played character, even if you intend to 'move on' to better things later.

Thanks for the great questions :p

Jemal

Adventurer
I reserve silly characters for games where they're more appropriate, and I don't do throw-away characters, so no need to worry bout that. :)

I'll figure out another concept and get back to you.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
I'm in. I'm thinking a shifter fighter going into dervish (that shifter int penalty is going to hurt). Name forthcoming, but he'd be trying to deal with the fact that he looks human ("normal"), but is actually related to the beastmen. Shifting in front of people he doesn't know and trust would be only in the most dire of circumstances.

Edit: oooooohhhhh, PHBII is in. Then I'd also be happy playing a Beguiler. I don't know what race ... I'll work on it.

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Well, I'm certainly interested. I'll need to read through the plot again more thoroughly, but I would like to play.

As for my ideas... well... I've seen some of the "Complete" books but don't currently have access to them. I'm assuming I should choose a class whose abilities I can access so I know what I'm doing, lol.

I have a few questions: Are you going to allow players to use the LA buyoff rules from Unearthed Arcana later on during the campaign?

Also, how would Lycanthropy fit into your campaign? I was considering a Weretiger character of some type. They'd obviously need to be Afflicted, as the LA and the level three beginning preclude a natural born Lycanthrope, but I would assume it could be considered a 'taint' of the Beastmen or something of that ilk.

Another question would be: How do Outsiders and the undead fit into your campaign setting? A Clerics ability to turn Undead would be far less important in a setting where the Undead don't exist, and outsiders seem... outside the box of the campaign. Are they permitted and simply minor players in the grand scheme or something else?

Hopefully my questions aren't bothersome, I'm very interested in playing, though this will be my first time playing a serious, fullblown campaign or adventure, and my first PbP experience... so I'm full of questions.

Edit: Just got another question... >.>

How many players will be in this adventure/campaign, and are there any classes that will be crucial in your campaign? For example, will things be incredibly difficult if the group lacks a healer?

Tiali

First Post
@Theroc - Dont worry about the questions, I don't mind answering them. We all gotta start somewhere, and im semi-new to this as well. So dont worry about it.

I don't have Unearthed Arcana, so at this time, I'm going to have to say no. I have friends with it, so I will review the info and make a judgement if it comes up later.

Question on Lycanthropy, Undead, and Outsiders.

The lycanthropic creatures and outsiders are in my game, but are not as common as some of the other creatures. I've never had a good experience with a Lycanthrope character in my games, but if you want to do this, you can. You can also run the story of your disease however you want, a curse on your bloodline, beastmen dishonor, etc.

Undead are a different story. I do have the book of the undead (Libris Mortis I believe its called), and will be using them during the game.

I didn't want to add too much on to the original storyline thread, as it is already fairly long, but here is some more information to assist with the question on undead:

[sblock=]

There is a 'rumor' or 'myth' that everyone knows. It has been turned into stories to scare children, and is alluded to in some of the ballads.

It is of the Necropolis.

"It is said, in the great war, that a fierce battle was raged that lasted months. Thousands, nay millions, died in this single confrontation.

The bodies of the fallen have rested on this battlefield ever since, without proper burial or peaceful rest.

Few people go to this place, and even fewer return. No single survivor, has returned with pleasant stories. It is said that the dead walk, and continue to wage their fierce battle to this day."

It is also rumored that within the last war between the Central and Western Provinces of the southlands, after a crucial battle in the war, where both sides suffered heavy losses, the Central arcane force raised the entire battlefield, friend and foe, to continue their march on the Western Capital. Noone was left alive to confirm this rumor, except for the wizards who did the deed, and they refused to talk.

[/sblock]

@everyone

When I say beastmen, I mean any intelligent monster manual creature that leans towards the evil side. Orcs, goblins, Trolls, Giants, Gnolls, kobolds, hobgoblins, bugbears etc. Along with the 'beastment', beasts of all nature were forced into the northlands and imprisoned as well. Beasts include most creatures that lack a high intelligence that would be a danger to peace and people; i.e. a large majority of the MM monsters.

All these creatures were forced into the northlands, and when the barrier was released after the 500 years, all of the remaining ones (albiet few of each species survived 500 years of imprisonment) were released back into the world. Thus, you can expect to see any creature within the MM1 and possibly from MM2 or 3 (I have the books but rarely use them)

@Roc + everyone: To answer your last question Roc, I would really like to see a healer somewhere within the group. I can live without an Arcanist if noone wants wizard, but w.o cleric or other healer, game will go slower, and the challenge level of possible encounters will be lower (and therefor less challenging for you - the players)

Not pressuring you Roc to play healer, because I assume someone will pick up the spot, but just saying, I would really like to see one in the game.

Remove ads