IG's "Those Left Behind" [OOC-2]

Scotley

Hero
A fighter/rogue MC in 4e wouldn't usually be very effective.

A better idea would be to divorce Rogash's concept from his mechanics for a moment, and ask, "What makes Rogash, Rogash?"

Then we can find a class or class combo in 4e that suits that concept. Classes don't always (or even often) translate over on a 1 to 1 basis.

Edit - Having looked over the sheet in the RG, Rogash is a rogue first, who looks like he took fighter levels for the proficiencies and the bonus feats. In 4e terms he'd be a Brutal Rogue, I think...a rogue build that emphasizes hard hitting rather than fancy footwork. Dex is still the primary stat (as it is for Rogash), but Str comes in second.

Yeah, he was really built from the concept of a behind the lines warrior. Just enough stealth and speed to get in and then enough oomph to kick some tail. A brutal rogue might be the way to go, but am I going to be limited to light blades and slings for most of the powers? That sort of tosses out his axe, bow and pole arm. Where are the hybrid rules? Dragon? I've got most of them, nearly all the books but not access to the compendium and character builder.

renau1g

First Post
Dragon 375. one thing though no matter hybrid, multi-class, whatever, you can't use sneak attack anymore without light blade/sling/crossbow.

renau1g

First Post
It's too bad because the fighter/rogue just doesn't work well in 4e unfortunately, as that was my wheelhouse in 3e the sneaky fighting type...

Edit: Oh, Leif, thanks for the welcome. I'll likely just keep hanging around for the next few months.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Yeah, a long standing favorite of mine too. Going back to my earliest days of 1e. I'll delve deep into the books and see if I can find a way to make the concept work.

jkason

First Post
Question: does the character builder actually have descriptions of the powers / skills / feats as you choose them, or just list them by name? Since it's looking like Shai would best be recreated though a ranger / druid or ranger / warden, I just realized that if there's some level of descriptive text in the CB, then $10 for a month of ddi definitely beats $60 for two supplements, at least while this is the only 4e game I'm involved in.

renau1g

First Post
If you want a sample I believe there's a demo of the CB available for trial on WOTC website.

The CB does have details and descriptions of powers, classes, etc. The full text is printed from the books.

Ex. Power - Thorn Strike - it lists the usability (at-will), range, type, target, defense (which defense score it attacks, AC, Ref, etc.) and Hit (damage/effects) + a sample fluff for you "Spectral thorns sprout from your weapon and grasp at the foe pulling it closer."

Also, you can buy just 1 month of ddi and have access to all the previously updated material. I think it's $15 for 1 month?

Shayuri

First Post
Scotley...I want to say there was some dwarven racial feat that let them use axes instead of light blades when sneak attacking, but I can't remember specifics. I'll pore through my sources and see if I can find it.

That'll at least solve part of the problem.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
ok. i have a "what if " question for every one, especially Renalg. Now hear me out on this, I have not inteintions of causing the death of a character.

What if I make some bad action decisions or bad rolls and Caerwyn dies or worse, gets turned into a chaos beast?

Shayuri, calm down. this only a what if question. :D

Remove ads