[Iron Heroes] A Saga of Might - OOC (Re-recruiting)

Dr Simon

Explorer
IC Thread
Rogues Gallery
Rumours

A Saga of Might

"Hearken, O Prince, to a tale of a time before time. Of doughty men and women who carved their destiny in the world using only their puissance at arms and their will to power. It is a saga written in blood, and sweat, and fire. I will tell a tale of how mighty thews and courageous heart can overcome foul sorcery and ravening beasts. I will tell a Saga of Might."

You’ve lost track of how long you’ve been here. Five days working the mines, one day off, then back to the rock face again. Manacled at night, fed on watery gruel, driven by sadistic slavers all for the sake of salt. In fact, you’re not even sure where you are. You were bought here by ship, somewhere with mountains fringed with jungle. The ur-men run the mines with ruthless efficiency under the command of one that the prisoners nickname “Grey”, due to his pallid skin. Your fellow prisoners are men and women sent here for all sorts of reasons. They annoyed the wrong people, they were framed, they were in the wrong place at the wrong time and ended up as “warm cargo”. And some, perhaps you, are really guilty of the crimes they were accused of. One thing you’ve learned, it’s best not to ask. Another thing you’ve learned is that you want out. And the most interesting thing you’ve learned… there are others who think the same.

Character Creation
Characters start off as slaves of the more-than-human Ur-Men and their cruel empire, but with escape on their minds.

Specific setting details will partly be determined by character backgrounds, but expect it to contain typical tropes like the Plains of the Horse Lords, the Northern Wastes where the savage Ice Tribes come from, the decadent City-State of Zor ruled by its sorcerer-king, ancient tombs on plateaus deep in the southern jungles and so on.

Characters are created using Iron Heroes, with the following criteria:

• 1st Level
  • Use any of the creation methods in the IH rules - Point Buy or Quick Stats. Standard 24 point buy (recall that IH has slightly different rules, giving higher stats).
  • Characters have no money and equipment, except for their dirty underwear. Archers, Armigers and Weapon Masters may be at a temporary disadvantage.
  • Options from the IH Companion available.

Looking for about 2-4 players. I can usually update every weekday, although it might become every other or so, and I hope for players who can do the same.

World and campaign creation is intended to allow for a lot of player input, although in the swords and sorcery genre of Conan or Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, etc., including the feel of vaguely linked short stories more than an epic "save the world" campaign.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Would be very interested. Either a berserker or a man-at-arms. Can we use some stuff from the Companion (one background, feat chain? I'm mostly interested in the big axe and the gladiator ones).

Phaezen

First Post
Sounds interesting, will pull out my iron heroes this evening and have a look, but I would like to try the archer class.

mfloyd3

Explorer
Campaign sounds interesting. How soon would you need a character? I'd like to play an arcanist, but probably won't get you a write-up until Thurs.

Dr Simon

Explorer
@mfloyd: eh, no rush. Thursday would be fine.

@Phaezen: be aware with an archer that you may be limited to throwing rocks or something for a while until you source some equipment!

Walking Dad

First Post
Do we use the pathfinder or IH skill system?

Do we use CBA/CMA or standard grapple?
If the first, I will maybe change my trait.

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Olmar
[B]Class:[/B] Berserker
[B]Traits:[/B] Powerful, Mountain Folk (Tough as Stone)
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male

[B]Abilities:[/B]            [B]Level:[/B] 1        [B]XP:[/B] ?
[B]Str:[/B] 16 [+3] 
[B]Dex:[/B] 14 [+2]     [B]BAB:[/B] +1         [B]HP:[/B] 18  (d12+3+3)
[B]Con:[/B] 16 [+3]     [B]Grapple:[/B] +4     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] 1d4
[B]Int:[/B] 12 [+1]     [B]Speed:[/B] 30'                [B]Spell  Res:[/B] -
[B]Wis:[/B] 14 [+2]     [B]Init:[/B] +2                  [B]Spell  Save:[/B]
[B]Cha:[/B] 10 [+0]     [B]ACP:[/B]  -0                  [B]Spell  Fail:[/B] 0%

[B]Base  Defense Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]      10     0       0    2     -      -     -     12
[B]Touch:[/B] 12
[B]Flatfooted:[/B] 10  

SAVES:
                     [B]Base   Abil Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                +1       +3               +4
[B]Ref:[/B]                 +1       +2               +3
[B]Will:[/B]                +1       +2               +3

[B]Weapon                  Attack    Damage      Critical[/B]
Unarmed                  +4        1d3+5          20/X2

[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Mountain Folk

[B]Abilities:[/B]
Powerful: Count as large for grapple, bullrush... and load.
Mountain Folk (Tough as Stone): +3 HP first; +1 each other level

Fury pool (11 max)
Berserker ability (Berserk Strength)

[B]Feats:[/B]
1: Unarmed Combat 1 (unarmed counts as armed power weapon, also
+2 to damage and can choose between non-lethal and lethal damage)
1: Power attack 1

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 20pts       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 4/2
[B]Skills                              Ranks  Mod    Misc   Total[/B]
Athletics                            4       +3     -      +7
Spot                                 4       +2     -      +6
Listen                               4       +2    -       +6
Intimidate                           4       +0    -       +4
Survival                             4       +2    -       +6

[B]Equipment[/B]: 

Item                        Cost (gold)                 Weight(lbs.)

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]        58    116    175   350   875

[B]Age:[/B] 23
[B]Height:[/B] 
[B]Weight:[/B] 
[B]Eyes:[/B] Green
[B]Hair:[/B] Black
[B]Skin:[/B] light tanned
Appearance: A big and massively build man who moves with surprising grace. He has green eyes and the night black hair and slightly red tan of his folk. He has all his teeth, but isn't particularly handsome. Maybe this is from his long unkempt hair and the beard he got in his time of slavery.

Background: A hunter in his tribe, Olmar and his fellow huntsmen cam back after a successful hunt for boartusks as they saw the smoke rising from their village. The attackers used their superior numbers and equipment to defeat them. After his village was raided, his wife killed and worse, Olmar was thrown into the mines. More intelligent than most think, he tries to keep his body in a good shape as the fury in his heart grows and he waits for an opportunity for revenge.

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Do we use the pathfinder or IH skill system?

Do we use CBA/CMA or standard grapple?
If the first, I will maybe change my trait.

For simplicity's sake I wasn't going to mix and match systems. Definitely IH skill system, with the skill families.

I'll probably stick with the standard grapple/combat maneuvre system as to be honest I've not found any great advantage to the Pathfinder system.

Remove ads