Off to War (always recruiting) OCC Year 2:

Dragonwriter

First Post
I believe you are missing a few things... Custom magic items are 1) directly DM-dependent for authorization; 2) balanced against existing magic items; 3) governed by rules repeatedly shown to be absurd.

Trying to make a ring to provide a constant Shield effect (+4 Shield to AC, counts for Touch; immune to Magic Missible) is far more potent than items at the same price of 4,000 GP. For that 4k, you can nab (at best) +2 to AC (whether enhancement of armor, Gloves of Dex +2, a Ring of Protection +1 and Amulet of Natural Armor +1, etc.).
Limited uses/day would bring it to a more balanced level. But a constant +4 AC and immunity to one of the most common attack spells should certainly be priced at higher than 4,000 GP. It would really be more in line with Bracers of Armor +4 and a multiplied cost of a Brooch of Shielding. Personally, I'd place the price somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 GP.

As for constant Mage Armor effect, it's already around. Bracers of Armor +(X). Your desired +4 bonus is priced at a low, low bargain of 16k GP. :p

Definitely look at the pre-existing items and the spells needed to make them. Such things will give you a clearer idea of how to make and price a given item.

Spade

First Post
@Spade
The ring can be worn at all items and helps you avoid getting stabbed by an assassin and is not stuffy, uncomfortable or out of place at a formal gathering. This is like insurance, and would be worn for the same reason as they hire body guards. for protection. History says political figures like to hide behind armor, but they also hate being inconvenienced, the ring is no bother and is a Lot of protection

It blends, sure, and it's obviously a just-in-case, but I think you're overestimating how many nobles actually mean anything politically, much less would yield a benefit if they were to die. ;)

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Also, I would still like to know if starting off with familiars means we still have to spend the 100 GP needed in the familiar’s summoning.

NO you do not spend 100 gp starting off you get the first familiar free any others (after death of the free one) cost 100gp.

I don't get this character at all. You wish to play a fast talking, high CHA high INT warrior mage whose the worst warrior in the world? :erm:

I can get into being a noble and setting out after perhaps being told that he would be no benefit to helping defeat the Treylor (and the other bakground hook we talked about - shhhh! ;)) but I can't see him being taught how to fight although physically he was not the best at it. And then he learns some cantrips but isn't taught general spells like mage armor, sleep, and magic missle even though he dreams of one day being a warrior mage.

Right now he is neither. He doesn't fight well or cast spells?!? And although I like the noble armor signet ring idea (as many of the PCs have them) Ask anyone whose been playing magic items are rare in Off to War.

Trinham is 5th lvl and has one item. And that's a wand an not permanent.

Your best bet is to take Beguiler and the Militia Feat. I won't allow you to tear up fighter like you have listed. It isn't a class anymore just random feats that relate to nothing why would you be trained or if you were self taught it doesn't relate enough for me (two here, two there but all four not linking a little is to odd).

Beguiler would give you the skills you wish and 8 + INT skill points. You will have a little armor and can cast in it have some different abilities and be a dexterous EK in the end like you wish to be.

HM

Zerith

First Post
Spade, killing a noble can dramatically shift things. for one, inheritance, one child is favored and going to get most of the inheritance, but is killed, so a the inheritance is changed, swift and definitive change, then you have only childs getting whacked off, this removed the hair apparent and if there is no other true hair to take their place, this can case chaos. perhaps not kingdom wide if you talking about a countship with out an hair, particularly with an aging monarch. you also have the possibility of taking care of the king, count, duke, whatever. Fact is, there are numerous reasons to want to axe a noble, and the only way nobles stay ahead of the curve is protection. and even if you go down the noble food chain to very miner ones, killing a trusted adviser can have massive, and predictable, repercussions.

Youy can axe Noble A: Noble A was Advising Noble B, who runs just about every thing, Noble C also advises Noble B, but had a dramatically different outlook on every thing, and the two, A and C, hate one another. depending on B; he might, in one form or an other, axe C and embraced A's mind set: if your D and A was your pawn, axing A to further your goals and neutralize the competition can be very helpful.

Point is, Nobles should be seen as offices, Offices that com from a highly elite and small pool of individuals, the line of succession is clear to see and
best part, nobles in higher positions with out a proper heir can have their position go unfilled for years while the lesser nobles try to get the position for themselves, you can even shatter a kingdom by taking out the king at the right time. This can be even more problematic, or even necessary in war time(incompetent rulers are deadly). Keep in mind, Nobles range from the smallest, that amount to modern day small town mayors and police chiefs, to full blown rulers, and they don't have elected replacements, they have kids who may or may not be ready to take over their parents responsibilities. Who would you rather face as the leader of a nation: A veteran ruler who has been proven as a warrior and a general of armies plural, or their snot nosed child who has always got their way and knows nothing of logistics and thinks if they say "do it" every thing will be done as they commanded regardless of the odds?

In a conflict of Nobles Vs Nobles you might have a code that amounts to "no assassinating other nobles", but in the end, killing off nobles is nothing to be take lightly; think of it this way, how many pesents do you have per a noble? How many solders per a noble? and of those ten or so nobles in a thousand how many are in a influential position or have a real shot at ascending into one? Not-enough if someone starts offing them.

Point I'm making is: its a bigger lose to loose a king then it is to loose a president and its a bigger lose to loose noble then a mayor. Nobles are in place for decades and their indefinite replacement is standing buy to take their place, but the replacement might not have it's own replacement. depends on how many kids the original noble had, and if those kids had kids. Noble based governments are extra vulnerable to getting their heads chopped off.

There is also the part of unsatisied pesents taking things into their own hands, you don't need a full blown revolt or even a major problem to be on the chomping block, you need one faceless drown that "has had it" to come along and kill their direct governing noble. now, success may very, but there are countless risks.

And in the case of protective rings, these things don't have life spans, it just takes one scared noble in the past to have one made, and then every head of that noble hose from then on has a protective ring; they might even improve said ring or just have a better one made from scratch and give the old one off to their hair. this is not a case of "why would a noble have one" its more of a case of "why the hell would they not?" if you ask me any ways; I just don't see a reason for a noble of notable rank could not have such a ring, or other item, warn at all times.

... I'll stop this line of text now... I ramble to much and my brain is feeling like pop rocks.

@DW, ... and AF
When you say it that way I have to admit my newbies, But I am still right, in my mind... (Hallow as it is, I think it's echoing something about napping and Nachos...o_O)

@HM

not the worst, just very very light. in a PC to PC warrior mach, ya, he would suck, but PC to NPC he would be competent in melee without spells, would be close depending on the NPC, but in general, not somone who can just be written off in melee unless you're exceptional, like most melee PCs who are tailer built to do melee combat. that said, being able to use spells gives him the ability to fight said characters on par amusing the fight starts at melee.
That said, his melee ability would be highly focused on mobility (but do to him always being on stable and flat ground, he could be readily slowed by adverse terrain)
One part he would acutely excel at in melee would be engaging and disengaging, but at the same time, he would not do well if he could not do so. (get in close, deliver a touch attack, back off, recast, run back in, etc)

With his present build out, that it seems I'll be reworking, his curent Combat related feats are:

[FONT=&quot][sblock=Expeditious Dodge] When you move 40 feet or more in a single turn, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to your Armor Class until the beginning of your next turn.[/sblock]
Fleet of Foot [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Weapon Finesse
Mobility [/FONT]
[just a note, I was purposely trying to avoid geting combat related feats through trade ins, with the exception of Finesse, to avoid making cheese, if you would rather he trade fighter features for combative abilities I can work with that as well]

that said, I'll look into this Beguiler cass... Know were I can find it? ^^;
...Also, I hop I did not make myself look foolish for the 537th time this weak o_O;

Addon: just looked and this post seems to be about the long as what I aim for IC, if not as dense ^^;

Last edited:

Spade

First Post
Buncha Noble Stuff

All true, except the offices bit. Nobles are not officials in many instances, but relatives of someone who is/was - Additionally, they do not really have ranks unless they actually are officials or otherwise important. All Dukes and Lords are Nobles, but not all Nobles are Dukes and Lords. I forget what logical fallacy that was, but it seems to be apropos for the discussion.

What I was actually saying is you overestimate how many nobles this kind of political chess match applies to - Even if it might cause an upset of some manner, assassination is only worthwhile if the person behind it stands to gain from it. If there's no benefit, it won't happen.

[sblock=Socio-Political/Historical-Philosophy/BLAH-BLAH]People rarely, if ever, go out of their way to assassinate people when they don't have anything to gain from it - The only example I can imagine would be an ethical or such conflict, in which case the gains are still minimal at best, such as a sense of satisfaction that someone with opposing ideals is dead now or some other intangible benefit.

Even that is something most Nobility wouldn't have to worry about, as few of them would go against the grain of accepted ethics/morality in an extreme enough manner to draw attention. But you might be thinking more of a blood feud thing, which again is extremely circumstantial and would likely hardly extend to anything outside the main family - Cousin's and the like would usually be left alone.

As for revolution? That only works out when they are truly willing to go the distance with it, often easily cowed or swayed out of that course of action by fear or temporary satisfaction. The most successful attempt I can think of off-hand was in Russia with the Czar and his family, but that was hardly all Nobility everywhere in Russia even though they did essentially erase his entire bloodline.

[sblock=Fun History Fact!]In an example of the kind of stuff you mentioned, Oda Nobunaga protected himself by acting like he was a moron who posed no threat, instead of arming himself with whatever protections he could and attempting to overpower people.

You might know that because of this, he survived the turmoil largely unscathed and later conquered a third of Japan. ;)[/sblock][/sblock]

I'm by no means saying you cannot have your character be a noble in which these are valid concerns, simply that stating that it's a fact of life with Nobles is, frankly, ridiculous.

Zerith

First Post
Fact: Yes. Absolute rule: No.

And their are lots of reasons to kill nobles, as I said before. also, if you start assassinating a lot of the bottom end Nobles you will case a panic and all the nobles, even one's you could not normally get to, will start to get paranoid and then they will take extra pains in security. while this sounds like it has nothing gain, it dose, it can make them slower to react. might not make them much slower in most cases, but delaying the carvery by just a few moments can mean failure or success on the battlefield. If the noble's who's relatives you're whacking was paranoid to start with, he/she might start accusing their own staff of being in on it. Firther, you gota feild test your assasions somehow, and hiting softer targs as warm ups can help let them become masters. Losts of reasions, and in some cases, reasions not to; if the leader of your enamy is not a very good one, kill the advisers and then your left with an enemy army of lions. But said army is lead by a lemming, show it a cliff. ^_^

My point is, it's all but imposable to know every resign why and why not to whack any given noble, and Oda being smart enough to make it look like his foes would be hurt by his death, as apposed to gaining from it, is just proving that he knew this reality very well ;3

Last edited:

Zerith

First Post
The only big one, I'll likely fling some skills around as well, I want him to have a large presence when he is in a room with a lot of knowledge, I don't particularly care if he can fill out all of the roles of a rogue.
now I'm just thinking if I want him to keep able learner, he has just went from a feat surplus to a feat deficit :/

But over all, a very good class match up for him, would have liked some touch spells, but that is me initially wanting to meta game and not the character's abilitys per say :3
Also, I like that it has speak language as a class skill XD
(and 4 more skill points per a level! :D)
9 at level one, Mwah haha ha! XD
[this said, he is not going to load up with them at every level, I think he will cap out at around 13, (this includes common, dwarvn, gnome, gnoll, goblin haffling, and undercommon, his two "exotic" ones are Auran and Draconic, might toss in Celestial as well though, other wise, giant and ork. this said, don't expect him to be too flaunt in all of them XD)]

These are not the droids you're looking for o_O;

oh ya, would I have to wait till 3th level to get Obtain Familiar?

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I thought it what you were looking for to.

And yes it does relate to rogue but as I see it you are going for a sneaky type caster are you not? Spell swapping may be allowed maybe for a beguiler certain spells are a higher lvl we will see. The spell list is limited.

Speaking a lot of languages was never a big thing for this campaign. Now having said that and you wish for a Linguist type character still, I will of course change that as most can attest to I will mold the game around the characters where I can. Maybe upon reaching the city it will come in handy.

And yes I like the way that feat(Obtain Familiar) is written allowing wizards and sorcerer a little benefit like having a familiar form the get go. Other spell casters having to wait and pay the 100gp so they really need to decide if it is what they want.

HM

Remove ads