New "Red Box" Starter Set hands-on preview

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I also belive that they have no dailies, but I was wondering what they get instead of it, after all the dailies are often Encounter-Changing and just cutting them out and giving nothing in return would be strange...
If I remeber correctly, Fighters add STR and CON to damage.

Jools

First Post
I love this thread! Do either of you remember what stats the other races in the box set get? I'd really love to know.

TirionAnthion

First Post
Thanks

I just wanted to say thank you to Thalmin for taking the time to post and answer some of our questions. This thread has been a great read. I am very eager to get my hands on the new Red Box. It sounds fantastic.

Although I would have liked to have seen Bargle return. I voted for him to win it all in the creature competition on the WotC sight awhile back.

Festivus

First Post
My FLGS also got a preview copy for running demos in the store. Couple things I didn't see mentioned:

1. Power Cards are printed on light weight (perhaps 70#) cardstock and are slightly smaller in size

2. The map side with two maps on it are both reprints

3. The tokens are lighter weight than prior tokens sent with things like Worldwide Gameday kits.

I'll probably take a much closer look next weekend, as I plan to run a introductory game using it at the store, since that is what they asked us to do.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
TheLittleRaven said:
Fighter: Knight is a Defender.

Sure, but that's not in the Red Box, is it? the Red Box fighter is the slayer...

thalmin said:
It does mention Heroes of the Fallen Lands, which gives full details Slayer Fighter, Mage Wizard, Warpriest Cleric, and Thief Rogue, which are the extended versions of the classes in this (Red Box) product.

So unless one of those is a Defender that I don't know about, looks like we have two strikers, a controller, and a leader. For the Red Box, it seems like we're going to have none of those marks...which makes me wonder...

nnms

First Post
I poked through the demo copy at the local shop tonight.

There's one glaring thing missing from the Red Box.

Rules to create a character without going through the 32 page, 100 entry or so "Choose Your Own Adventure."

Yes, the solo-adventure teaches you the rules of the game while you make the character. It's awesome.

But is every person who plays supposed to take turns going through it while you wait? And what about when you make your second character? Go through the whole "choose your own adventure" thing again?

I didn't see another sheet or paper or little booklet that tells you just how to make a character in there, but the first thing I'm going to do for my red box only demo games at the local store is make a simple "how to make a character" sheet that doesn't involve going through the solo adventure.

Oh, and the character sheet. It gave me such a "that make's so much sense" moment when I looked at it and saw how they laid out the skills indented under each attribute.

Jack99

Adventurer
I poked through the demo copy at the local shop tonight.

There's one glaring thing missing from the Red Box.

Rules to create a character without going through the 32 page, 100 entry or so "Choose Your Own Adventure."

Yes, the solo-adventure teaches you the rules of the game while you make the character. It's awesome.

But is every person who plays supposed to take turns going through it while you wait? And what about when you make your second character? Go through the whole "choose your own adventure" thing again?

I didn't see another sheet or paper or little booklet that tells you just how to make a character in there, but the first thing I'm going to do for my red box only demo games at the local store is make a simple "how to make a character" sheet that doesn't involve going through the solo adventure.

Oh, and the character sheet. It gave me such a "that make's so much sense" moment when I looked at it and saw how they laid out the skills indented under each attribute.
Well if you have gone through the miniadventure, it should have taught you to make a character ;) otherwise, the solution is called Heroes... and costs $20.

Remove ads