New "Red Box" Starter Set hands-on preview

thalmin

Retired game store owner
What does it say on "next steps"?

Does it mention other essentials products, the 2008 books, something we haven't heard about?
It does mention Heroes of the Fallen Lands, which gives full details Slayer Fighter, Mage Wizard, Warpriest Cleric, and Thief Rogue, which are the extended versions of the classes in this (Red Box) product.

alleynbard

First Post
All I have found so far is the Human Utility power Human Versatility, a Free Action Encounter power giving you a +4 to an attack roll, ability check, or a saving throw that you just failed.

Edit: Never mind. That will teach me a lesson about reading to the end.

Our store got a copy as well, but I don't want to step on Thalmin. He is doing a fantastic job.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
It's one of the more interesting options for new design space from Player's Handbook 3, and it fits with how martial classes ought to work.
It actually fits with almost all power sources, except for primal perhaps - I could see quite a lot of arcane or psionic utilities tied to knowledge skills as well.

Of course, if Thalmin can give a small overview of the other included powers... (mage next, mage next, mage next) :blush:

Cheers, LT.

alleynbard

First Post
Has the fighter anything that compares to a daily, if no, do the wizard & cleric have dailies?

If I remember correctly, the fighter does not have any dailies, which is going to be the case with both fighter builds in the Essentials line. Unfortunately, I do not have the boxed set near by to double check, but I am pretty that is the answer.

If this is wrong, I deeply apologize. Perhaps that would be a clue for me to leave it the professionals. ;)

Both the cleric and wizard do have daily powers.

There are also some wizard powers that I found to be pretty cool. Since I don't have the set at hand I am sure Thalmin can give you run down.

Last edited:

Baumi

Adventurer
I also belive that they have no dailies, but I was wondering what they get instead of it, after all the dailies are often Encounter-Changing and just cutting them out and giving nothing in return would be strange...

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Since the set is at the store, and I am at home (I don't really live at the store, it just feels like it) I am going to be very limited in what I can answer now.

Remove ads