[Trailer] John Carter

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I admit having not read the story, so I'll ask, was depicting nudity that much at the core of the narrative / required for whatever manner of translocation that brought JC there? Is depicting hanging bits as intrinsic to JCofM as brutal violence is to Conan?

It was pulp, it was also a time leading up to the Great Depression, you had technology & industry booming, you had people talking about sin and Prohibition. Nudity was seen as a way to take a person away from all that. Nudity was the differance between savage and civilized worlds.

John Carter was equal to and maybe more violence than Conan.

Last edited:

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I admit having not read the story, so I'll ask, was depicting nudity that much at the core of the narrative / required for whatever manner of translocation that brought JC there? Is depicting hanging bits as intrinsic to JCofM as brutal violence is to Conan?
We are talking about pulp nudity here. It's mentioned, fairly often, but that's about it. Still, it's the principle of the thing. It can be done 'tastefully', as the TL movie showed, so there's no reason not to do it. Unless you're going to just change things at random...

Pbartender

First Post
We are talking about pulp nudity here. It's mentioned, fairly often, but that's about it. Still, it's the principle of the thing. It can be done 'tastefully', as the TL movie showed, so there's no reason not to do it. Unless you're going to just change things at random...

It's also Disney, and they be aiming for a particular rating.

I'm just glad they kept the uncle-nephew relationship between Carter and Burroughs. That alone gives me hope.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Wow. That looked better than what I imagined it to be. Sad to say I've never read ERB's John Carter books, but I've seen plenty of the art. I'm excited to see this. Now if only they could make a new Tarzan movie.
I read the first one, A Princess of Mars, fairly recently and it was really good. It was one his first efforts at writing. IIRC, he was reading pulp magazines and felt he could write better than that. Apparently, he was right.

Anyways, it looks true to the feel of the book I got from reading it. Though I haven't read any of the sequels yet.

I don't think so. The book is plot driven, and very little of the plot requires him to be nude. More important is what happens when he does start to wear cloths, something that can be done no matter what he's wearing when he gets there.

Personally, I got the impression that Carter's nudity was a misplaced attempt at realism. In fact, given the sheer amount of stuff Burroughs had to make-up because our knowledge of Mars was severely lacking a hundred years ago, Burroughs really does seem to be going for realism and doing an ok job with it.

Remove ads