WotC's Annual Xmas Layoffs

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Windjammer said:
James Wyatt

Innnnnnteresting. If I remember correctly (and I may not), he's working more with the board game side of WotC at the moment? At any rate, he wrote some of the most...polemical...words in 4e.

Words like...

James Wyatt said:
An encounter with two guards at the city gate isn’t fun. Tell the players they get through the gate without much trouble and move on to the fun. Niggling details of food supplies and encumbrance usually aren’t fun, so don’t sweat them, and let the players get to the adventure and on to the fun. Long treks through endless corridors in the ancient dwarven stronghold beneath the mountains aren’t fun. Move the PCs quickly from encounter to encounter, and on to the fun!
and
James Wyatt said:
D&D is a game about slaying horrible monsters, not a game about traipsing off through fairy rings and interacting with the little people

IIRC, he moved to board games in last year's little shake-up, when Mearls got promoted.

Curious.

Last edited:

Kzach

Banned
Banned
It is false accounting to pretend that laying off Rich Baker will only result in his salary and benefits being recovered; yet that is all the balance sheet will show. It will not show that debacles like 4E are a direct result of pushing everyone out of the door who really understood the 'soul' of D&D. But 'talent' and 'wisdom' cannot be measured and therefore cannot be real can they?

I love this.

In the same breath you praise Rich Baker and yet denounce one of the products he worked on. Is he sinner or saint? Or are you just mad, bro?

jffdougan

First Post
One just has to examine who the largest shareholders of HAS stock are.

HAS Major Holders | Hasbro, Inc. Stock - Yahoo! Finance

It turns out, it is mostly institutional and mutual funds who are the largest holders of HAS stock. No big surprise that they only care about the value of the stock in the short to medium term.

True, although I suspect that's true of a significant population of publicly traded corporations.

My general point is simply this: If everybody who is currently involved with any sort of d20 game (yes, Pathfinder folks, this includes you -- you are playing something which is WotC-derived, after all) picked up some HAS stock AND then chose to make noise about the holiday layoff practice (either in person at the annual meeting, or via proxy), we might stand a chance of causing them to do something about it.

Ydars

Explorer
I love this.

In the same breath you praise Rich Baker and yet denounce one of the products he worked on. Is he sinner or saint? Or are you just mad, bro?

Need you ask (madness is never far away in my case).

Seriously though, just because he worked on 4E does not mean Baker backed every single thing it represents; I blame Mearls, Wyatt and Slavisek for the problems in the 'design philosophy' of 4E that turned me off it.

Baker did so many good things in the 3.5E era that he is excused in my book.

Oh and sorry for starting the corporate greed firestorm Umbran.

S'mon

Legend
Innnnnnteresting. If I remember correctly (and I may not), he's working more with the board game side of WotC at the moment? At any rate, he wrote some of the most...polemical...words in 4e.

Words like...

"Originally Posted by James Wyatt, 4e DMG
An encounter with two guards at the city gate isn’t fun. Tell the players they get through the gate without much trouble and move on to the fun. Niggling details of food supplies and encumbrance usually aren’t fun, so don’t sweat them, and let the players get to the adventure and on to the fun. Long treks through endless corridors in the ancient dwarven stronghold beneath the mountains aren’t fun. Move the PCs quickly from encounter to encounter, and on to the fun!"

Ah, the tyranny of fun. One of the silliest paragraphs ever written in a D&D book. Ironically I was just looking through the DMG2 the other day, and came across an example of a good roleplaying encounter, I think in the skill challenge section: negotiating with gate guards to get into a city. :lol: I don't know if that was a deliberate riposte to Wyatt from another (better) designer, but I thought it was funny.

I think it's possible to extract good advice from Wyatt's paragraph: You don't always need to have the PCs negotiate with every gate guard, you don't always need to track food and encumbrance. Sometimes it's fine to skip through the process of moving through the ruined dwarf fortress and focus on critical decision points & encounters. I found for instance with PBEM play, that's a much better approach than the traditional dungeon crawl. But taken
in isolation as a hard warning against any sort of exploratory play, as advice to new DMs it's terrible, and has resulted in major problems with 4e adventure design.

S'mon

Legend
Need you ask (madness is never far away in my case).

Seriously though, just because he worked on 4E does not mean Baker backed every single thing it represents; I blame Mearls, Wyatt and Slavisek for the problems in the 'design philosophy' of 4E that turned me off it.

The original 4e design philosophy (PHB-DMG-MM) seems to have been Wyatt/Slavicsek/Heinsoo, but not Mearls. Mearls seems to prefer an older aesthetic and was responsible for the change of direction with Essentials, which garnered a lot of criticism from fans of the 4e approach. I was initially enthusiastic about what Mearls was trying to do, but as time has gone on the original 4e approach has really grown on me (I've grown adept at working around the problems while getting the most out of the new, good stuff), whereas I've found that IME Essentials didn't really achieve its design goals, other than to give me a great monster resource with Monster Vault. Although a big problem with Essentials is the terrible online character builder; if they had updated the much better offline charbuilder with Essentials stuff then the E-classes would come over a lot better I think.

Remove ads